The Big Dam flight and dry lake landing adventure

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

The Big Dam flight and dry lake landing adventure

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

For a few years now I've been traveling to Lake Havasu to to visit a close friend from back in junior high days and before. I've always wanted to take a flight in the area of brown called the dessert found around Las Vegas and all the way down way past Lake Havasu. A few years ago Doug Meuller (canav8) offered for someone, I think W., to get out of the cold and come to Boulder City, NV and do some flying. I thought some visit I'm going to do that. Then about two 170News issues ago Doug wrote an article complete with a picture of his airplane parked on a dry lake bed in the desert. It was his training area. I had to do that.

This past week on Thursday was the day. I'd arrived with my wife Teresa in Las Vegas Wednesday to take in some sites and then head to Boulder City to meet Doug. We met over dinner that night and Doug invited member Richard Dach (LBPilot82) and his wife to join us and they did. It was decided we'd go out in the morning with no particular goal except to look at the brownness from 1000 or so feet and at some point, land in the desert.
021.jpg
The plane got the "once over" review for "illegal" parts. Thought I saw one here but was quickly corrected.

024.jpg
Doug was nice enough to clean the windows which probably set the ball rolling down hill for me as I'm not use to the crystal clear view with no smashed bugs.

041.jpg
The big Dam picture.

061.jpg
Hey, who's flying that plane?

081.jpg
Here we are on the dry lake bed after Doug's demo landing. Doug was explaining something I should have been listening to rather than thinking about all the buried shrimp I was stepping on.

The flight was great. My wife Teresa, Doug and I took off and did a loop over Hoover Dam then up to Valley of Fire State Park and back around the Vegas area to Boulder City Airport. It was spectacular. After a short break we then took off to the dry lake bed Doug uses for training. Very much different landing in the vastness of the dry lake with NOTHING to give visual clues as to your height. Much like flying over a vast body of still water, 10 feet could seem like a 1000.Doug demonstrated a landing and then it was my turn.

Lets just say I thought Doug wanted a wheel landing, which he prefers, but I couldn't find the wheel land button on that morning. He was waiting for me to do a three point, which I prefer in a strange place in a airplane I've never landed before. I’d only had three flights in my own 170A in the last 4 months and I hadn’t landed a B model in a year and a half though that probably had less to do with it than anything else. But the larger flaps do change the landing sequence and technique a bit.

After a few attempts, well, lets just leave it at I couldn't find that auto wheel landing button. It was just no where to be found in that ’56 panel he has in his ‘52. I might have thought Doug had it removed if it weren’t for the few he demonstrated.

But I did land in the desert. Had about 30 landings actually and we only made three rounds of the pattern so you can tell what kind of day I was having.

After a discussion it was realized I should do a three point landing regardless of excellent wheel landing coaching Doug was giving. And so that is what I did and finally a landing that was far from perfect. Touched down with a bit to much tail wheel contact first. Maybe better suited for a short beach landing rather than a dry lake. Did I mention the upside down yokes? (Give me time I'll think of a few dozen other excuses. :roll: )

Returning from the dry lake I believe I redeemed myself on the asphalt back at Boulder City Airport. Wind socks at either end of the runway were showing crosswinds from both sides. Despite the swirling winds I managed a pretty respectable three point considering the sticky throttle. The stick throttle, now there is another story for another time.

The pressure was off. I think Doug was finally thinking I might know how to land a 170, at least on asphalt. Maybe he was glad that it was the last landing?

What fun.

Thanks Doug.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Harold Holiman

Re: The Big Dam flight and dry lake landing adventure

Post by Harold Holiman »

Bruce,

That sounds like a real nice and enjoyable adventure. See you in San Diego.
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Bruce

You beat me to it you lucky guy. Looks like you had a blast!!!!!!! I'm going when it's -20 here, sit in the right seat, take lots of pics and let Doug do all the flying.

Someday

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Looks to me like some sunglass salesman got rid of some slow moving stock! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

Doug told me he had that "auto wheel land" button removed. Something about a safety issue :roll: . Of course, I have been wanting to install a "panic" button in front of the passenger seat in mine but I'm not too sure how to wire it up. :lol: :lol:

It was sure fun getting to meet Bruce and his wife. We did have a great time at dinner and spent a few hours hangar flying the next afternoon.

Thanks Bruce!!
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:The flight was great. My wife Teresa, Doug and I took off and did a loop over Hoover Dam then up to Valley of Fire State Park and back around the Vegas area to Boulder City Airport. It was spectacular. After a short break we then took off to the dry lake bed Doug uses for training. Very much different landing in the vastness of the dry lake with NOTHING to give visual clues as to your height. Much like flying over a vast body of still water, 10 feet could seem like a 1000.Doug demonstrated a landing and then it was my turn.
Gosh Bruce, the only thing I am concerned about is that Loop you did over the dam. Where was I? LOL I had a great time as well. Regards, Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug