Fwd and lower wing root fairings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mongo2

Fwd and lower wing root fairings

Post by mongo2 »

It was recommended by LP aeroplastics that I at least pin the wings in place (project 170A)while fitting the new extra thick windshield, in order to avoid any gaps during final assy. Wish I hadn't tossed the old one, as I could have used it as a template.
I cannot locate my fairings 0520005, and 0520005-1, and was wondering if anyone had the dimensions and thickness of these so I may duplicate them.
I am also looking for the lower fairings that would be just above the door, yet I cannot locate them in the IPC.
I would need the same info for them as well.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Rick
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Fwd and lower wing root fairings

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Rick,

Those fairings run continuously from the top front of the wing around and under to that back of the wing. The fairings are made of two pieces riveted together just under the wing leading edge. That is why you can't find a part # for a fairing under the wing.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

Thanks Bruce. I will keep looking around the parts to see if I can find them. Do you think they may be made out of .025 or .032 2024T-3?
I have trimmed and fitted the windshield without the felt installed yet, and I know I am close. Being extra thick(.187) will the windshield still float in the side channels once the fwd lower windshield retainer strip is screwed down tight? I'd like to avoid having to roll out the fuselage, pin the wings , and then remove them and put it back in the garage, but I'd also hate to be way off once I go to put it all together for good. Lp was pretty insistent that I "fit" it all first.

Rick
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The wing root fairings only serve to complete the gap between the wing root and the fuselage. They complete the gap also to the windshield. Therefore, if the windshield is not trimmed excessively (too short)...in other words, leave as much material as possible between the windshield and wings (but leave 1/4" gap), then the fairing will wrap around and complete the air-seal. I can't imagine it being a problem.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

I would agree with that. I did not trim any from the leading edge sides. It would seem the concern is have the leading edges match up, and not having a gap between the fairing and the curve of the leading edge of the windshield. If the windshield is slid up or down in its side channel, the width of the LE dimension will change with it , and therefore there may be a gap. (viewed from a side angle)

About how wide would you guess is the width of the fairing strip?

Rick
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mongo2 wrote:I would agree with that. I did not trim any from the leading edge sides. It would seem the concern is have the leading edges match up, and not having a gap between the fairing and the curve of the leading edge of the windshield. If the windshield is slid up or down in its side channel, the width of the LE dimension will change with it , and therefore there may be a gap. (viewed from a side angle)

About how wide would you guess is the width of the fairing strip?

Rick
Rick, that's an easy one. It's a uniform 2-5/8" it's entire length.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

Thank you for the info. I can fabricate what I need from there.

One other related question, Upon final fit of the windshield, I have a gap on the left vertical side post at the top. The right side fits
all the way in. The windshield is as far fwd as it can be, based on the upper retainer, and the inner lip. I left enough extra felt to fill the gap
at the wing root. Both sides are postively engaged in the side slides. Is this "gap" going to be an issue of any kind, or am I worrying about nothing here? Please see pics below.

Rick
Left.JPG
right.JPG
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Maybe this has been said before but I'll add a bit. With the wings in place then with a straight edge accross the wing surface to the window, the top, bottom and L/E can be checked at the root against the contour of the window. I don't know of a way to do this other than to temp install the wing.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

Understood. I made a template and believe that the fit is ok in that sense. The "gap" I am now speaking of
is in regards to the side of the windshied where it fits in the groove on the vertical post. In the first pic, you can see a small gap
where I am speaking of. The second pic shows the vertical side all the way in. I probably should have started a new post, as this
is not related to the fairings. Any help appreciated.

Rick
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That small gap should not pose a problem as it will be closed-off with the vent-tube cover, but you could fill the gap with Pro-Seal if it torments you.