Pilot Certificate

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Pilot Certificate

Post by 170C »

Numerous people had suggested to me that I replace my original pilot certificate with one of the new plastic ones. One reason was supposedly to get my social security number off the certificate. I did replace my certificate, but noticed that the new one still has my ss# on it. Was I supposed to have requested a change in the cert. number?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Pilot Certificate

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes. If in fact you wanted to get our social security number off your license. On the online request form there is a box specifically for this request.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, when you re-apply for a replacement certificate... in the box where one would ordinarily insert your SS#...write the words "Do Not Use"....and a new number will be issued.

Also...while you're at it: A good reason for everyone to apply for a new certificate is: to make certain your certificate includes the remark: "English Proficient" . This will make you legal to fly outside the U.S. (New rule) Deadline to comply with new ICAO rule: Mar 2009. Order NOW.

You can apply for the replacement ONLINE, and it is cheap and quick and easy.

Here's where you can create an account and order your replacement on line:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... _services/

===========the new rule==============

Effective March 5, 2008, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) requires the following certificate holders who operate internationally to have a certificate stating that the holder is proficient in the use of the English language:

Private, commercial, and airline transport pilots with powered aircraft ratings
Flight engineers and flight navigators
Control tower operators
The ability to read, speak, write, and understand English is already a U.S. regulatory eligibility requirement; the FAA Registry began issuing all new certificates with this endorsement on February 11, 2008. The U.S. has notified ICAO that it filed a difference that will extend the U.S. compliance date until March 5, 2009, in order to provide sufficient time for all affected U.S. airman certificate holders to comply with the ICAO Language Proficiency airman certificate endorsement requirements.

Certificates that are ordered as regular replacement certificates will include the endorsement. You can order a replacement certificate on-line or by mail. You will be asked to register with Online Services if you don't already have an on-line account. Note that there is a $2 fee for replacement airmen certificates.

Airmen who request temporary authority or verification of their airman certificate will not have the English proficiency endorsement until the replacement certificate has been requested and the $2 fee paid. If you have questions, you may contact the Airmen Certification Branch toll-free at 1-866-878-2498.

For more information regarding ICAO English proficiency, refer to Information for Operators (InFO) 08012 at the All InFOs page.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:...while you're at it: A good reason for everyone to apply for a new certificate is: to make certain your certificate includes the remark: "English Proficient" . This will make you legal to fly outside the U.S. (New rule) Deadline to comply with new ICAO rule: Mar 2009. Order NOW....
This is true, but ALSO -- if you're still using a paper pilot certificate, it will become invalid after March 31, 2010. You need to get it replaced with a plastic one. You'll get to keep the paper one if you want it for sentimental reasons.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks everyone. I went online last night and requested replacement of my "new" plastic certificate and also requested an assigned certificate number other than my ss#. There was no charge for the change. I belive I had previously paid $2.00 to change from paper to plastic.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Abe

Post by Abe »

Like Ole Pokey, I just went online and had my certificate reissued and took my SS# off and added the English Profiecency notice also....I must say is was quit easy, even for those of us who can get computer challenged from time to time... :) ... and at no charge... :) ...Thanks for the heads up gentlemen...
Bill
'52 170B
mit

Post by mit »

jrenwick wrote:
gahorn wrote:...while you're at it: A good reason for everyone to apply for a new certificate is: to make certain your certificate includes the remark: "English Proficient" . This will make you legal to fly outside the U.S. (New rule) Deadline to comply with new ICAO rule: Mar 2009. Order NOW....
This is true, but ALSO -- if you're still using a paper pilot certificate, it will become invalid after March 31, 2010. You need to get it replaced with a plastic one. You'll get to keep the paper one if you want it for sentimental reasons.
Where did you find this? What Reg.....
Tim
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

I believe it is an ICAO requirement. We are a member state of ICAO and pilots from the US have to comply with requirements for "english..." second in command type ratings, etc. etc. just as pilots from Canada and other foreign countries do when they fly in the US. There may also be a US regulatory requirement such as Part 61, so you could check there if you are in doubt. It sounds like getting it done is as easy as participating on this forum.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

voorheesh wrote: .....It sounds like getting it done is as easy as participating on this forum.
I just did the deed and it may be as easy as participating on this forum but it is no where near as much fun! :)
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

You have that right :lol:
mit

Post by mit »

John said

I know about the English note; but have never heard of a date that the paper won't be good?

anyone anyone
Tim
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

mit wrote:John said

I know about the English note; but have never heard of a date that the paper won't be good?

anyone anyone
Sorry -- I should have provided a reference. The final rule came out last February. AOPA has an announcement here: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory ... cates.html, and EAA here: http://www.eaa.org/news/2008/2008-02-29 ... icates.asp.

The rule change is in the 2009 FARs, 61.19 (h): Duration of pilot certificates. Except for a temporary certificate issued under 61.17 or a student pilot certificate issued under paragraph (b) of this section, the holder of a paper pilot certificate issued under this part may not exercise the privileges of that certificate after March 31, 2010.

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

mit wrote:John said

anyone anyone
I got my plastic many years ago....I did nothing but renew my flight instructors rating.......got both my new CFI and my commercial.....( new untracible numbers) I asked to get my APIA with the same number :cry: But haven't been able to get that done....go figure..I still have my SS# out there on my APIA....and can't get it changed.....I'm miffed.....Brad
mit

Post by mit »

Thanks John!
Tim
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Tried to do it last night but it didn't work. Seems they can't accept a milepost as a residence address. Would not accept a PO box # as a residence. Something about not USPO compatable or something. Maybe I was just too tired to find the right something???