170B seats

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rmpatt

170B seats

Post by rmpatt »

Ok, I did a dumb thing. I recently bought a 1952 170B (that wasn't dumb, what follows was), and in the process of doing some overhauling I removed the front seats. What I didn't realize was that the seats are different, right vs. left. The seat backs have an angle to one side of the back, but I am not sure whether the seats should be reinstalled so that the angle offers more room between the two seats, or the angle is on the outboard side, possibly ti facilitate easier ingress/egress. The bases are both the same…it is the seat backs that are different.
Anyone know how they go back in?
bagarre

Re: 170B seats

Post by bagarre »

Do you have a photo of this?
The seats in my 170 as well as the spare frames in my garage are symmetrical left to right.

-David
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As stated, original seats are symmetrical in shape. There is no right or left. In fact the IPC only lists one front seat.

The only caveat to this is some if not all the upholstery design over the years was not symmetrical with the little leg tailing down on the outside of the back as seen in this image from the '52 IPC.
52 Seat from IPC.png
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It sounds as if your seat backs have been "sprung" or damaged/repaired non-symmetrical. They should be identical, as Bruce points out.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rmpatt

Post by rmpatt »

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will get a picture of the seats as soon as I return home (I'm out of town for several days). It wouldn't surprise me if the seats were from another plane, and I can always put them in the plane to see what looks to be the best way for them to be arranged.
rmpatt

Post by rmpatt »

Pic of the seat. R or L?
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 7560 times
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Yeah, that's not like any seat I've ever seen in a Cessna before.
How does your IA feel about it?

On a side note, I have a set of original 170 seat frames in pretty good condition I can sell you cheap if you get into an approval issue.
rmpatt

Post by rmpatt »

Thanks for the info and offers. I am too far down the path to switch seats, and the plane has passed annual for a number of years, so I think I'll finish up and reinstall as best i can figure out.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm thinkin the slant goes next to the door to clear the window closer.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

It doesn't matter if it's passes a annual for a number of years it doesn't make it right if it's a illegal mod. You only need a sharp eyed FAA inspector and you start to have a bad day. It's only when you really need the proper or correct part ,then you start to wish you have done the right thing . ( If I had only ??????) as the tail catches up with the prop.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Bruce, I agree. I have seats from a '75 172 in my airplane. They have big square backs that hit the window latches. I can't move the seats past the latches without opening the window first to get the latch out of the way.
minton

Post by minton »

First, having newer seats installed as George has pointed out in the past is not something you want to point out to any FAA type.

Second, Having ANY modified seats without the paperwork to back it up could be even worse. The fact that your AI or any AI has passed the annual is not relevant. If its wrong it will continue that way.

If at a later date getting someone into the mix that knows his stuff and is concerned enough to raise the "BS" flag on it then you will then have to comply. You as the owner are responsible for the condition and airworthiness per the FAR's and knowingly operating in that "Unairworthy" condition puts you squarely on the hook for whatever could happen down the road. The FED's don't have any interest in excuses. You could be the next notch in their grip.

Front seat backs support your torso from tilting back under "G" loads and if it were to collapse during a critical phase of flight things could be disastrous. Most field modifications are not looked at by engineers and thus what if any testing was at best the by seat of the pants. That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

If it were me I'd change out the seat for a legal one and then change out the window latch by way of either "STC" or "minor modification" to a style that could accommodate your style of seat.

Just trying to be of help :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If the underlying seat structure is unchanged I can't imagine that cushion being illegal. It's a minor thing, in my opinion, just like any other trim item. Interior shops make these sort of minor customizations all the time. (Has anyone ever seen "lumbar support"? And it looks as if it'd be a left, front seat.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

Having had that style of seat apart many times I'd bet that the seat back frame has been modified thus my comments.