A&P written, oral, and practical

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lopez

A&P written, oral, and practical

Post by Lopez »

I got signed off to take them this week at the FSDO. I did it via civil experience working under my dad. I know of a few schools that offer week long cram sessions and the you walk out with a certificate. Who has done this and where did you go? I am looking into options to get this done in January.
Bill Hart

Re: A&P written, oral, and practical

Post by Bill Hart »

I just had a friend go to Baker School of Aeronautics in Nashville. He had some good things to say and I have had several co-workers go to the same school for thier IA's.
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

There is Avtech in Riverside, CA that is a knowledge and practical test prep school. They advertise 2 weeks for complete A&P course. Aviation and Electronic School in Nevada City, CA does the same thing. These prep schools charge upwards of $3000 and you have to get there and pay for a hotel. There are a few in OKC and there may be one nearer you in CO.

I would recommend getting the 3 textbooks which were recently revised by FAA: General, Airframe, and Powerplant. I think you can download them onto an I pad or similar electronic reader (or just buy hard copy). Study one at a time and get knowledge test prep disks from a source like King Schools or ASA and start taking practice tests. The practice tests are almost identical to the FAA tests and when you start passing them go in and take the test. The expensive test prep schools do pretty much the same thing.

For the practical, you should get the test standard (download) from the FAA and find a local DME. I would discuss his/her oral practical test procedures and expectations and then get with your dad and practice for the test. Your knowledge will be tested using real aircraft and scenarios and you will have to perform some tasks like timing mags or compression check. If you understand the subjects being tested and are well prepared, you shouldn't have trouble. If you have a friend who is preparing of the same thing, it helps for 2 people to study together. Good luck.
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

I appreciate the input. I am studying for the writtens on my own. Once I get those done, I'll sort out where to go.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Slightly off topic but
Each applicant for a mechanic certificate or rating must present either an appropriate graduation certificate or certificate of completion from a certificated aviation maintenance technician school or documentary evidence, satisfactory to the Administrator, of -

(A) At least 18 months of practical experience with the procedures, practices, materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment generally used in constructing, maintaining, or altering airframes, or powerplants appropriate to the rating sought; or

(B) At least 30 months or practical experience concurrently performing the duties appropriate to both the airframe and powerplant ratings.
Everyone has told me that you need to be full time working in a repair facility under direct supervision of a mechanic but, I can't find that in the FAR at all. That is the requirement to work on a certificated airplane (sorta) but doesn't seem to be the requirement to become eligible to get your certificate.

It just says I have to document my experience satisfactorily to the administrator and nothing about being supervised while I gain that experience.

Has anyone on the forum acquired their mechanic's license this way vs school or military experience ?

-David
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Lopez, Just saw your project over on the hangar part of the forum. Don't think you will have too much problem getting an A&P. Beautiful airplane!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

David it is the interpretation of what practical experience is that is the sticky point and the part you must sell to the representative of the administrator.

It's been my experience that the feeling of most is that because on one hand you can present a graduation certificate from a certificated aviation maintenance technician school which requires a certain amount of hours be completed, that any other experience be at least that amount of hours. And to do this in any short order of time one would nearly have to be full time. Like you I have never actually found that in the FARs ...and I've never found a representative of the administrator that new exactly what was required for the sign off to be able to take the tests.

I myself am a graduate of a US Army Aviation Maintenance course and held a Army rotary wing mechanics rating before going to flight school. I've also maintained 3 different aircraft over the last 21 years and have performed under supervision the rebuild of 3 aircraft engines and recovered half of my Cub. I know several folks with a quarter of my experience and some with no experience who have an A&P rating because they were in the right place at the right time in the military and were just given the license. Maddening.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I worked for three years (1970-74) for Precision Aeromotive, Houston, TX , (a P&W and TCM engine shop & CRS)as an "engine repair & assemblyman" on the piston engine line. The work included on-airframe installation and troubleshooting. I also worked for 2-1/2 years of general airframe and systems repair with my employer, whose chief inspector (Air Logistics) signed off on my practical.
In 1977 made a course-change to corporate aviation as a pilot and never took that test.
The SAT FSDO told me if I can find that letter they'd authorize the test...but they will not accept any of the documentation from Precison Aeromotive because that company is no longer in business. It makes no difference one of the FSDO inspectors has personal knowlege of my work back then because of the change in rule occuring subsequently.
Nor would they accept the In-Doc trng of the airline I have 3 years of paycheck-stubs as proof I've met the Pt 135 requirement for a TCE (trng center evaluator), because that airline is defunct. I had to actually go retake all that basic trng and subsequently take the test.
Ol'Gar spent an entire career at TWA and subs working on everything from Connies to L-1011s and RB-211s...but he cannot simply take that test due to documentation issues.
Go figure. (I'm convinced it's a scheme the mx schools lobbied for.)

Moral: Do not pass up any opportunity your employer offers you for certification, regardless of whether you think you will ever need that certificate. You never know when you may change your mind or a new opportunity may arise. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

Over the years I have been asked by many peaple to sign them off to take the tests to get their A&P. I only did it once for a friend and co-worker that went on to take the test and took his oral and pratical in my garage on my Cessna 140A that I was putting together at the time. All the rest were just looking for an easy way to get ahead. My brother recently helped a close friend get his A&P and replaced him at his life long career with NASA at Moffit Field in Mountain View CA. If you aquire the experiance and are deamed worthy by a qualified individual an A&P Certificate can be a very rewarding experiance in the aviation field and is a leg up in many other job prospects in life.
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

Thanks for the input guys! I am studying as we speak. I hope to have the writtens complete before the end of the year. My employer is offering leaves first quarter of 2013 (bad omen, and more motivation for me to get this done), so I think I'll take some time off to finish then. I can't even spell A&P, but hopefully I'll be one by springtime.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I came from australia and went to the FAA office at LAX and they signed off on my experience etc etc. I then attended Federal Exams in Cherry Ave , Long Beach. Doing the exams wasnt that hard ,but we had a bunch of guys from all over the world doing the classes, we had a ball. We introduced some Koreans to the strip joint a couple doors down and there were some very LONG lunches. I am very sorry we lead you astray ,not everybody passed. There are some very good text books put out by the FAA including a question and answer book and basically if you know whats in the books its quite straight forward. We were then given the practical by a offduty FAA inspector.
However the practical exam will test your knowlege and skills. We were given a box of rivets [all different types] and a heaps of sheet metal [all different types] and given a modified drawing for the construction of a draw that used to fit under the FE station on a DC 10).You had to make this draw using differental metal and rivets in certain positions,Plus it had to fit and slide in a dummy desk. So basically it showed you knew how to recognize the correct rivet and sheet metal and be able to read a drawing . This included bend allowances and heat treatment of metals. We also had to demostrate on the fittment and removal of components on aircraft some rigging procedures.
A Aussie friend had completed this practical exam about 2 weeks before me and he gave me the drum on what to except. He told me that I would be shown a ignitor plug [Champion] out of a P/ W JT8 and it had done 22,000 hrs and it was badly burnt away.
So when it came my turn in the group of 15 hopefulls,I was asked what was it and any other information. So I said" MummM , Looks like a Champion Igitor ,possibily out of a JT8 , and probely done about 22,000 hrs. The place was dead quite. The FAA inspector put the ignitor down on the bench and then went on talking about IDG,s.
After getting our certificates I then approached him and told him how it all came about. he took it all very good and had a good laugh about. :lol: :lol:
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I have signed 3 people off to take the A&P examination over my career. They were all very qualified and we worked at the same employer so it was easy to document their time. It does have to be full time. Once they took their writtens at that time they actually had an FAA ASI administer the test as we were in remote Alaska so when they came through once a month or whenever, we were able to have them do the practical and oral. I doubt this option is available anymore and you probably have to use a designated examiner.

Anyway the point is an A&P can sign a person off to take the test if the administrator accepts the documentation. Mine was just a signed and dated letter stating they had the required time and subject areas.
It's not done till it's overdone
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

marathonrunner wrote:Anyway the point is an A&P can sign a person off to take the test if the administrator accepts the documentation. Mine was just a signed and dated letter stating they had the required time and subject areas.
So we are back to what exactly is the required time and how does it have to be accumulated. This is the moving target one can't seem to get the answer to in black and white because the FARs or inspectors guidance is left to interpretation. And it has changed over the years making the matter worse.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Like most things in government, it's going to take a friend and a favor or a lot of money to get it done.