Interesting destinations in the Southeast?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jrenwick

Interesting destinations in the Southeast?

Post by jrenwick »

I have a cousin who is planning a vacation trip in a Comanche next month from La Crosse, WI (LSE) to North Carolina. He'd like to visit Oriental (maybe Coastal Carolina Regional Airport, EWN?) and Kitty Hawk, then up to Frederick, MD, where he will leave the airplane and use surface transportation to NYC.

He's looking for interesting stops along that route (roughly between Cincinnati and the NC coast) for a possible RON, and other possibilities. What airports should he consider?

Thanks!

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bramlett

Re: Interesting destinations in the Southeast?

Post by Bramlett »

Could go to Dayton OH and visit Wright Patterson AFB Museum.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

If you're flying into FDK, you really should make a stop at College Park Maryland (KCGS), it's the world's oldest continuously operated airport and they have a great little museum there!

Not only do you get to see a great museum but you get to fly somewhere that many pilots would be afraid to.
KG

Post by KG »

Ocracoke Island (airport ID W95) is worth a visit. It requires a little navigation around some restricted areas to fly there but it's a nice flight down the Outer Banks. The village is still much like it was in the past. It was a hideout for Blackbeard the pirate and a few old timers still speak with an English brogue. The language was preserved there because for years they were fairly well isolated. It's one of the few old coastal towns that hasn't been overrun with modern development.

I've never flown in there (I've only been via car on the ferry) but I've been told that if you call Howard's Pub on the radio before landing they will send someone to pick you up at the airport. It's probably about a mile or two into town from the airport if you are into walking or have a bike. Plenty of hotels, B&Bs, and food options. Bike rentals in town and it's small enough that you can tour the whole village on a bike.
53 170B
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

That reminds me!
http://www.tangierisland-va.com/

They do have a $10.00 landing fee but it's a really neat place.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Thanks for the ideas! My cousin has changed his plans, and now will fly commercial and rent cars. However I've always had an ambition to do a trip like this in my J3, toward a goal of flying it in all 50 states (I've already logged Hawaii, where I bought it, and Alaska). One of the remaining trips goes from South Carolina up the east coast to Maine, catching some of the inland eastern states as well.

Thanks again!

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
KG

Post by KG »

I almost forgot to mention Currituck, NC (KONX). I flew in there last year while just out enjoying the scenery and found that they have some of the least expensive fuel on the east coast. The FBO guy said he tries to keep it that way as it is a pretty good "half-way" stop for folks flying from the Northeast to Florida. While there wasn't much to see once on the ground, the Currituck Sound and surrounding areas were beautiful from the air.
53 170B