406 ELT installation

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jatkins

406 ELT installation

Post by jatkins »

I recently purchased a 406 ELT, I previously had an EBC ELT mounted beside the L/H passenger side window.
I need to install a small shelf to mount my 406 in the tail. The issue is I have a Selkirk extended baggage
modification, which prevents me from mounting the ELT , on the floor just aft of the standard baggage
area.

Does anyone who has an extended baggage mod, have any paperwork for mounting an ELT aft of the extended baggage area ??

Thanks John
CF-HER
52 170B 20292
BeeMan

Re: 406 ELT installation

Post by BeeMan »

John,

You need to talk to DenaliPilot about his recent 406 install. I was contemplating a new 406 ELT and selkirk for my '52 170b but was unsure how to resolve the location conflict. His ELT is attached to a new bracket on the top of the fuselage, shold work for you.

Bill
minton

Post by minton »

I see by your monicer you might own a Canadian aircraft :?: :?: If so you need to address their regulations. If not I would first look in the 43.13 1B & 2B.

I see 43.13-2B Chapter 2 addresses ELT installations. Quite an interesting read!

It gives you many options for mounting. BUT requires some engineering and "Pull Tests" if outside of STC installation instructions and of course the sign off by whomever based on what 43.13-2B required.
Among the considerations for installation are:
1) Location, impact protection and ability of the structure to support the device.
2) Radio interfearance (EMI)
3) G loading vs structural impacts
4) Interfearance with flight controls, seating, storage, etc.
5) Manufacturers STC installation requirements
6) Weight and Balance issues
7) Access for upkeep and testing
8) Placarding
9) Placement of the approved antenna

Some of the above can be sidestepped if a similar item of similar weight and mounting system was already installed in that location (With approval), (STC, Field Approval, etc)

I have seen many mounted on the side (inside) of the fuselage in about the same station location to avoid impact, and access issues.

Good Luck!

Just my humble opinion
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I think the manufacturer will have an install document which would be followed; the big thing will be the structure (shelf) must be strong enough to resist deflection. See Ameri-king install doc to get an idea. http://www.ameri-king.com/pdf/02%20IM%2 ... Manual.pdf. I went with their unit as it was a drop in replacement for their 121 I had installed 5 years earlier.
Take advantage that your AME can make the install if its a basic system, that may change in the future.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
runerider

Post by runerider »

I have the selkirk and a 406 mounted in the extended baggage area. I'll take pictures and post them Monday if any one wants more info please PM me with the ?
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang