Fuel selector packings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ragwingrick

Fuel selector packings

Post by ragwingrick »

Hello

I have hit a couple of milestones in the rebuilding of the 170, about two weeks ago I installed battery for the firt time in , only to find out most of the fuses installed were the automotive style and they slide to far down the holder to make contact. Thanks to this forum I now know the part number and where to get them.
On Sunday fuel in for the first time, as I put it in the wing it came out of the drains, the fuel selector, the carb and the primer lines. After changing a few O rings and tightening the prime lines and getting the carb float to seat the only leak is the fuel selector. The fuel selector is PN.0511122 of figure 38 item 38-24 of the modle 170 series parts catalog. Also in figure 38 it showes two shaft packings Pn. 38481. My question is are these packings rubber or are they a leather seal, also is there any chance of getting these parts. The reason I ask is because the fue leak stopped when I had it selected to the left tank but would leak when the fuel was shut off. I have not put fuel in the right tank
Also does this fuel selector have a stop, or is it normal for it to rotate 360 degrees.
The other major milestone on Sunday is I started the engine and taxied the airplane, the fist time it has moved under it's own power in over 15 years.

Ragwingrick
falco

Re: Fuel selector packings

Post by falco »

there are at least a couple threads on fuel selectors on the forum, enlightening and entertaining discussions contained within...

not sure how to link you there
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

It is VERY important to understand there are 3 completely different fuel valves found in our 170s (the 48 might even have 2 different vavles but I think it is the same valve in a different location). Unless they happen to have the same o-ring in them, they are NOT the same. The 48 has it's valve, which is identical by part numbers according to my research, to the C-140 valve. The A model and about the first 30 B models have the second type of valve. And the B model (except about the first 30) have the last style valve which is also common in early 172 airframes.

Rebuild kits (o-rings and gaskets) easily found for the latest style of valve. Packings and o-rings suitable for the earlier 48 and A model valves can be found but you will have to determine whether they are suitable.

Here is an earlier topic which includes discussion on 48 valves and packings.

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... l+selector
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

My valve is on the firewall and has a pin at the top for stop at shutoff. My stem packing was a felt style with the brass cone style valve..
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
2Georges

Post by 2Georges »