Headliner Bows ?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4583C

Headliner Bows ?

Post by 4583C »

Any suggestions on what material to make headliner bows from ? The old ones look to have been made from coat hanger wire back when coat hangers were made heavier than what we get now.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Headliner Bows ?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well first thing I'd would do is send Debra to the antique store to get some old coat hangers. No I wouldn't use them for the bows, they are to soft. But what ever else she buys while she's hunting for the hangers will put you in a better position to purchase what ever you eventually find that works. :lol:

So if your down to headliner bows does this mean we are likely to see your 170 in Duluth?

BTW my 170 has been flying fine for about 8 years without a headliner and probably won't have one for this years convention so don't let the headliner stop you.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Bruce
That wasn't the response I expected from you. :roll: I thought it would be "What do you want a headliner for? Headliners just get in the way of servicing antenna, makes finding leaking fuel vent hoses a pain, makes it harder to see the fuel gauges and provides an easy way for mice to get from one wing to the other" :wink: :wink:
HA

Post by HA »

stainless welding rods, you will probably have to tack some on the end to get the correct length
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
Bruce Fenstermacher

What do you want a headliner for? Headliners just get in the way of servicing antenna, makes finding leaking fuel vent hoses a pain, makes it harder to see the fuel gauges and provides an easy way for mice to get from one wing to the other.

I hate to disappoint. :)

HA probably has the best idea. At least at the moment I can't think of a better one :?

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

HA! Great minds think alike!
36" stainless welding (brazing) rods. I used them for CB antennas...back when CB was cool.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Think George hit it without intending to. Might try a auto or truck junkyard, used to be some antenna's that were 4-6 feet or more long that would make dandy bows. Lots of spring but hard to kink.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have found that the fiberglass tent poles for the dome tents that the sell in outdoor stores work real well. Just cut to size and make small brackets to fit the thicker rods.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Get the telephone book and look up a local sailmaker. They use fiberglass strips called "battens" to stiffen the edges of sails. They are about 5/8" wide, 1/8" thick, and can be cut to length. Cost about $2 per ft. They are perfect for such things.

You can order it by the foot from West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=176
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:Get the telephone book and look up a local sailmaker. They use fiberglass strips called "battens" to stiffen the edges of sails. They are about 5/8" wide, 1/8" thick, and can be cut to length. Cost about $2 per ft. They are perfect for such things.
I've never priced stainless steel welding rod, but wouldn't it be cheaper than $2 a foot? Plus, it already fits without having to make a bracket.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wasn't recommending them OVER rods.... I was just offering alternatives, as fiberglass had been also suggested.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Grainger has 1/8 - 6ft stainless rods for $5 something a rod. Don't know if it is the right temper or hardness for the purpose but it is something to look at.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2EXC7

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:Get the telephone book and look up a local sailmaker. They use fiberglass strips called "battens" to stiffen the edges of sails. They are about 5/8" wide, 1/8" thick, and can be cut to length. Cost about $2 per ft. They are perfect for such things.
I've never priced stainless steel welding rod, but wouldn't it be cheaper than $2 a foot? Plus, it already fits without having to make a bracket.

Miles
gahorn wrote:I wasn't recommending them OVER rods.... I was just offering alternatives, as fiberglass had been also suggested.
Sorry George, I misinterpreted the adjective "perfect" in your post. :oops:

I would think that music wire would have the correct temper, as it's "springy". It's been a while since I've taken a look at mine, but I'm guessing something in the 3/32" diameter range would be about right. McMaster-Carr sells a 1lb coil (43') for $5.79, part # 9666K47. Might be worth a try.

BTW Paul, did you buy a new headliner, and if so, from where?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Miles the problem I see with music wire is that it will rust. I think 3/32 is bit light. 1/8 I think and maybe 5/32 is right. Music wire is available at most good hobby shops in 3 foot sections.

ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

Paul, 1/8 brazing/welding rods, you have little tabs (like single point conduit hangers) that will hold the rod up against the roof and keep the headliner up and tight. Just make/cut the rods to fit first-- before you try to put the headliner in. if you don't use stainless paint the steel ones. the old ones I took out were a little rusty but after ?? years. The steel ones are easier to weld. you also have a slot?? that each end fits into to keep it in place, if I remember right. you have to cut the headliner loop to fit around the little hangers. If you haven't bought the headliner the shrink type is easy to install. just give yourself slack by the fuel guages and tie them close to the tank for later removal. AND REMEMBER IF THAT PLANE DOESN'T SHOW UP IN DULUTH YOU ARE OUT!!!! MR. PRES. :lol: :lol: :lol: Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!