Any interest in new shock panel cover assy.?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Any interest in new shock panel cover assy.?

Post by n2582d »

My instrument cover has been extensively modified (to put it nicely) over the years. From what I've seen there are a few other panel covers in similar condition. Delicker at Del-Air has a hydropress and could stamp out a bunch of these. The left and right side instrument covers might also be worth replacing in a lot of our pre s/n 25372 planes. I think these could be legally made as owner-produced parts--especially if Harry just made a blank panel and let each owner cut out the instrument holes to his own specs. In a recent IA renewal I did online Bill O'Brien--the buck stops here guy from the FAA--said in regards to owner produced parts that the "mechanic can work as the owner's agent and help build the part. The owner must sign the log book stating that the part is owner produced, what data was used to make the part, and sign an statement that it is airworthy." What do you all think? Is there enough interest in having a bunch of these made? What would be a reasonable price to pay? Image
Gary
MoonlightVFR

Re: Any interest in new shock panel cover assy.?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I have been thinking about this very component.

Thinking about advanced materials.

Carbon Fiber Cloth . It is more expensive however the increased value/service can be considerable.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't understand the comment "increased value" with regard to a composite or fiberglass panel. I would consider such materials to be inferior in almost every regard.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

"Originality George" has spoken! You wont catch him flying one of those new Hawker Beechcraft airplanes with a composite fuselage!
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I understand what George is saying. The material itself may not be inferior but as it is not original it is worth less. While they may be exactly the same a new panel made from aluminum that is undistinguishable from an original is still not an original and not worth the same to many people when taken to the extreme.

Case in point would be wheel pants for example. Very nice original aluminum pants that could be polished bring a premium. Fiber glass can not be polished so there is no comparison in this case. But there are also very nice original aluminum pants that are painted and perform no better than new fiberglass yet most people would rather have aluminum mostly because that is the way they came. Aluminum there for have a higher value.

While I'm not an originality nut there are some lines I wouldn't cross. My plane would be fine with a composite panel but I would not put one in George' plane. Though with that -C model engine and all the WD40 residue you got in yours George, it would be a pretty close call. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
HA

Post by HA »

I'd consider that a decorative covering, and treat it as such when obtaining / making / installing a replacement, and refer to it that way if I was to do a logbook entry for it. if.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

I would be interested - including the lower left and right, so long as they are aluminum. I'm not sure what the price would be as tooling of any kind is expensive. Sure worth looking into though. There are a lot of 170's with butchered panels.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:"Originality George" has spoken! You wont catch him flying one of those new Hawker Beechcraft airplanes with a composite fuselage!

I wasn't speaking of "originality", per se. I was thinking of fiberflass or plastic. I don't think of those materials as in the same league as metal and wood. And... if I were to try to duplicate an original panel because I wanted it to look original.... then I'd value more the original materials over fiberglass or plastic.
Bruce's example is a good one. While the fiberglass wheel pants which resemble original certainly look good and are a less expensive manner to obtain that classic look.... real metal ones are more accurate replicas, and therefore carry more value in my view. I don't differentiate between OEM originals and all metal replicas... they are of equal quality and value in my mind. In fact, the later, Cessna-produced all metal ones are the ones I'd prefer because they are genuine "factory" (therefore not technically replicas), and they accomodate modern Cleveland brakes without cutting/modification. My airplane has them.

My airplane only resembles originality. In many ways. (Hence my signature.) While at first glance it appears original, in fact it has a later 6-bolt engine/crank, and appropriate prop., BAS tail pull handles, Cleveland wheels/brakes, P-ponk gearbox beef-up, wingtip strobes, digital/solid-state radios, shoulder harnesses, and (as a necessity due to it's incredible speed) a boat anchor. (ELT) :wink:

It also has L-19 towing adaptors and tailwheel tie-down ring. And co-pilot and passenger reading lights. And double-walled baggage compartment. And (horrors) auto fuel STC. :P

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I'd certainly be interested in new/original panels as well... particularly if they were aluminum.
Doug
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Count me in as taking one as well!

v/r,
Jud
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I would venture to suggest that interest in the subject panel would very likely be proportional to price. A limited production run run might make it too pricey due to hydro press die development and manufacture.

In addition, there very likely would be the problem getting permission from Cessna to produce one of their parts.

Seems to me that" Knisley Exhaust" went through that sort of a hassle. I am led to understand that you must now send them at least one part of a propriatory exhaust system so that they can "Repair" it.
Last edited by blueldr on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BL
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I don't think Fiberglass would ever be right for 170 replacement parts.

Fiberglass is barely tolerable for boats. For classic aircraft ? I don't think so.

It must be the distinctive weave of the fibers in the carbon graphite fibers that mesmerizes young people purchasing auto replacement hoods of carbon graphite. I am not going to ask , "Why don't you paint your hood the same color as the rest of your car?" So strong, so light ,trendy or value added?,

I regard every operating 170 as a "Flying Muesum Piece" thus every part that comes off N2890C for replacement goes into a plastic bag w note and is placed in storage.

My original shock panel was professionally painted many years ago and when I gave him the muesum piece spiel he was impressed to the point that he said , "come get this thing out of my shop!"
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
trake

Post by trake »

I bought a new shock cover panel from Preferred Airparts a few years ago, but its the late serial number model . It was about $440 I think.
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I talked with Harry Delicker about making this panel overlay. He said it would take at least 20 copies to make it worth tooling up for. I never was able to get him to state how much one would cost. The price for just having a couple made was "if you have to ask you can't afford it." He suggested making a die and hammering one out.
Gary
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I am intrigued by the recent EAA video on building a poor man's "hydropress" that Arash posted in the TradeMart. Ryan, any chance of whipping out a CAD drawing for a form that matches the inside of the false panel? Pilot holes centered in the instrument holes would help for placing screws to anchor the sheet to the form.
Gary