use of 172 wings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dlords

use of 172 wings

Post by dlords »

Do 1965 cessna 172F wings fit on a 1952 cessna 170B. I know that the early 100 series wings were all the same, but when did they change? I have a chance to by wings from a 1965 172F and a 1967 172H and was going to put them on my 170B. Just need to know if they will work
minton

172 wings

Post by minton »

Yes they will fit BUT! you will need to provide the FEDs with documentation that they are as good or better. GAGHORN has a letter from Cessna that will help you. Also remember the FAAs' creedo "We're not happy until you're not happy" Be patient!
minton

wings

Post by minton »

Thats GAHORN sorry
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Yes, Please do the paperwork properly (or your pride and joy may just be a giant paperweight)!

I was helping a friend find his 170, and one of the prospects obviously had 172 wings with no paperwork! What a shame, as this major change should have been documented.

Cheers Eric
GAHorn

Re: wings

Post by GAHorn »

minton wrote:Thats GAHORN sorry
The slip (Freudian?) may have more accurately expressed the views of those present. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dlords

letter from cessna

Post by dlords »

what is this letter from cessna? and can anyone e-mail me a copy of it.
at dalords@cableone.net
thanks
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The "letter" is one that originated with another member and was graciously provided the assn. It is not an engineering-approved letter, but merely an "opinion" letter that basically states any 100 series wing can be substituted for any other provided that the substitute wing is from an aircraft of equal or higher gross weight than the subject airplane. There is a blanket caveat included that warns of differences that must be addressed and approved before the replacement wing can truly be considered as a replacement, and there is no official "basis of approval" associated with the letter. Any knowlegeable inspector will recognize that the letter does not provide "approval", but "guidance".
In the case of a '65 C-172 wing being installed on a C-170A/B it should be recognized that there are some big differences, primarily in the electric flap system and the fuel indicating system. Not insurmountable, but significant.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George is pretty much on track here but as the association member with the original "letter" and one who had personal contact with the Cessna representative who generated the letter let me ad the following.

As George points out the letter outlines Cessna's position on wing replacement and what can and can not be done. Based solely on this letter and no more, B model wings where approved for my A model in the year 2000 by the Harrisburg FSDO.

As this letter became part of the records of my aircraft I wanted a better copy than the fading fax I had so I contacted Cessna and spoke to the person who's name appeared on the bottom.

He was surprised that the FAA had approved the wing swap based solely on that letter as it was intended as an informational letter only. It was a first step sent to people who would inquire. Then upon finding specific wings that meet the criteria this man would generate a letter specific for the aircraft and wings in question.

I understood this second letter to be more of an approval by Cessna as it was more specific. The Cessna man said the second letter was usually needed to make the FEDs happy.

In any case he graciously sent me a fresh generic letter he keep in word form on his computer for just such occasions. So apparently this is a pretty common request.

He also noted he was retiring in several weeks (this being in 2002) so he is no longer at Cessna and he had no idea what would happen after he was gone.

If I was looking to use newer wings the first thing I or you would need to do is satisfy the flap and fuel gauge differences. This could be as easy as retrofitting the older system to the newer wings per original means.

After I had that solved I might try my local FSDO and see if the letter we have is enough for them but probably not today. I would then contact Cessna to see what their current procedure is and what help they might be to you to win over the Feds.

In the case of my plane there is strong evidence the wings had been installed some 35 years earlier and the configuration did meet the TCDS at one point or another but maybe not all at the same time. :)

I think the Feds where only looking for a shred of approval from Cessna.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

It might be cheaper to have your old ones rebuilt. (?)
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

Jr.CubBuilder wrote:It might be cheaper to have your old ones rebuilt. (?)
Willams automotive does exclent work!!!! :D :D :D
brad