Has anybody made a jacking cradle?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cfiatzph

Has anybody made a jacking cradle?

Post by cfiatzph »

Just curious how many people on here have jacking cradles? My jacking bracket is crap and I'm always afraid its going to slip and fall on the axles. With a craddle I'd be pretty much guaranteed it won't sleep and I can do a shake test and take the legs off without a problem if I want to remove them. Anybody have any pictures of their craddles? I can't find my book with the plans.

Thanks
minton

plans

Post by minton »

try the maint. manual. in the back it has one
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here's a simple way to do it. Just place the jacks against carpet covered boards at the fwd spar or directly on the tie-down rings instead.

http://home.earthlink.net/~n6d4/170b.htm

Notice Bob's last two pics which demonstrate how compression tailwheel steering springs can rip out the rear bulkhead and cause other damage.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

I have a real simple cradle, that uses two low wing jacks. If I can, tormorow, I'll take Pic's and send.
brad
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

Where does the craddle on the bottom of the aircraft attach to? Is it directly between the gear legs? The reason I ask is this particular aircraft has a Garmin 430 will all kinds of stuff sticking out the bottom of the airplane. Markers, transponder, comm etc etc etc.
sphillips

Post by sphillips »

When you are jacking individual gear legs, whether it be a conventional gear or tricycle, once the wheel assy is removed put a a 4X4 or 6X6 under the axle. Then lower the axle onto the lumber.
N3598C, C170B
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

Anybody have a scan of the maint manual that discusses how to make a craddle. The reason I want to do this is because I'm planning to remove the legs sometime soon.
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

cfiatzph,
Do you have a first name? Any way, I went out Friday to check the hanger for the cradle that I said that I would show. I couldn't find it! Then I got thinking, I lent it out about 4 years ago! (I should wright these things down!!!!) I think I have found it! waiting on a call back. but pretty much know where it is! As I said it is pretty simple, two straps running up each side of the gear legs coupled toghter with a few straps and the jack points just inside the leg openings. If you don't have any thing in the gear leg area, you will not have any problem with the type of cradle I have! I can't see anyone putting an antenna in this area! But stranger things have happned! If you are willing to pay for shipping both ways I'll lend it to you any time! Or anyone else! (As long as I'm right and have found it!) But any way, if you elect to go this way, make a copy! (I don't have a pat. or want one) and you have one for yourself, If you like it!
brad
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

brad, is this what you were looking for. :wink: :lol:
C170 Main gear jack photos.JPG
Last edited by johneeb on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

John,
That is even more simple than mine! I have two straps running, one up the upper side like yours and a strap running up the lower side. ( so if something slips it will be mitiguated) the two sides are connected toghter and run up the side of the A/C beond the strutt opening. I talked to the person that I thought had my cradle and no joy! (I wonder where It is) I'm sure it will show up. (because the only people that would want it are 170 people) and if I don't find it in the pile of things I have put together since the fire, someone will say (OH brad I have your cradle)!! well see.
brad
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I made my fuselage cradle by cutting a piece of 4x4 lumber to conform to the fuselage bulkhead just aft of the landing gear and lining it with carpet.

This cradle will fit all the early models of Cessnas--- C-170,C-172,
C-175,C-180,and C-182.
BL
minton

Re: Has anybody made a jacking cradle?

Post by minton »

The Cessna repair manual has a good one
n2582d

Re: Has anybody made a jacking cradle?

Post by n2582d »

Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary
GAHorn

Re:

Post by GAHorn »

cfiatzph wrote:Where does the craddle on the bottom of the aircraft attach to? Is it directly between the gear legs? The reason I ask is this particular aircraft has a Garmin 430 will all kinds of stuff sticking out the bottom of the airplane. Markers, transponder, comm etc etc etc.
Cessna's instructions have you jack the aircraft by lifing AT/UPON THE GEAR LEGS. "The jacking block must be long enough to bear against the landing gear spring, clear of the fuselage." Notice that they are NOT lifting the aircraft by the gearbox/belly. This requires the gear legs to actually be utilized to lift the aircraft. Clearly this requires the gearlegs to remain in place, which is useless if the reason for jacking is to remove the gearlegs. This is why I like lifting the aircraft by the wings at/near the outer strut attach points as you would a retractable Cessna.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jrenwick

Re: Re:

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:...This is why I like lifting the aircraft by the wings at/near the outer strut attach points as you would a retractable Cessna.
Or lift by the engine mount with a hoist from the overhead or an engine hoist, if you've got one standing around (much cheaper than a set of wing jacks). Put a weight on the floor under the lightest wing, and attach a tiedown rope to it.

Is there a problem with lifting a 170 this way?

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift