Buss fuses

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N8249A

Buss fuses

Post by N8249A »

I blew my 30 amp fuse yesterday and come to find these are not the same size as automotive fuses. Should the local aircraft parts store have them? Any other source? I am not sure if the Spruce ones are the same as automotive. Thanks,
Marty,
N8249A, 52' 170B
Hangar 130(North Hangars) KSAC
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I just recently went through this search my self locally. The fuse series is AGS as apposed the automotive AGC series. Several of the local hardware stores that use to carry AGS fuses now do not. After several trips to local aircraft outlets I was able to get a few of each AGS 25, AGS 20, AGS 15, and AGS 5.
I eventually called Buss Fuse Company directly and found that many of these fuses were not in current manufacture. They are not listed in their catalog. They did however have some stock, which I ordered a minimum order of 10. None of the local dealers that are listed on their web site had any product at all or were they familiar with the AGS series of fuses.

I found that many people are using the AGC series fuses in the fuse housings requiring AGS series fuses. This does not work well. I found that sometimes the circuit goes open because the AGC's do not always make good contact inside the fuse holders.

I am sorry I do not have their web address. But little fuse is another product name for the company. I would try to contact them directly and see what you can get from them or change to circuit breakers. I also called aircraft spruce thay did not carry AGS series fuses.

Good Luck,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
N8249A

Locating fuses

Post by N8249A »

Thanks Jim, I believe the markings on the fuse are BUSS SFS 30A. Is thias the AGS series? I did buy some AGC's and determined that they would probaly leave an open circuit with a little vibration. I will try their web site.
Marty,
N8249A, 52' 170B
spiro

Post by spiro »

best place I've found to get them is thru Cessna, even if they are $2-3 ea. and you need to buy in packs of 5. PN S1091-x, where x is the amp rating.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

spiro wrote:best place I've found to get them is thru Cessna, even if they are $2-3 ea. and you need to buy in packs of 5. PN S1091-x, where x is the amp rating.
Yep, I agree. A good source not too overly priced is http://www.cessnaparts.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Has anyone thought of just replacing their fuseholders with some configured for AGC fuses, and just using those? Maybe no "basis for approval" but what the heck? Probably easier & cheaper (and less obvious) than a switch to circuit breakers.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

zero.one.victor wrote:Has anyone thought of just replacing their fuseholders with some configured for AGC fuses, and just using those? Maybe no "basis for approval" but what the heck? Probably easier & cheaper (and less obvious) than a switch to circuit breakers.

Eric
What the heck? The same could be said for automotive wiring too. :roll:
The associated illegal labor and lack of documentation this implies is a bit more than I'd be comfortable with. I realize you're a practical kind of guy and willing to take short cuts with your own airplane, Eric, but ... If one believes such a mod is a good one, then it deserves the simple matter of gaining proper approval. IMHO.
How many times has someone taken interest in an airplane offered for sale and then found that kind of garbage during a pre-buy inspection? I'm tired of seeing that kind of junk airplane.
(It would be more cost effective to simply buy the correct AGS fuses from Cessna, and would certainly be less labor.)
Fuses are: 1. Safety-of-flight items, 2. Relatively inexpensive, and 3. Available from the places many folks shop for Cessna parts.....Cessna distributors.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Perhaps my "what the heck" seemed a bit too cavalier. How about "has anyone thought of converting to AGC-sized fuse-holders, & obtaining a field-approval for same".
Apparently these old AGS fuses are not so easy to find, or else people wouldn't be posting questions about where to find them.
BTW, my airplane was converted by a previous owner to circuit breakers, approved via 337 along with some other panel mods.

Eric
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Metal Master wrote:I just recently went through this search my self locally. The fuse series is AGS as apposed the automotive AGC series.

I guess I should have said that I first went to the local Cessna service center (Galvins in Seattle) and tried to buy these fuses there, by the Cessna part number in the catalog. They only had a small number of the correct 20 amp fuses in stock and none of the other amperage fuses available from Cessna at any price although as I recall they had one other amperage at $20 per fuse.

The fuses I was able to get from Cessna being the correct Cessna part number dimensionally fit in the housings and were AGS series fuses.

That is why I eventually: Note that none of the fuses are now listed in Busses Little fuse master catalog :arrow:

I eventually called Buss Fuse Company directly and found that many of these fuses were not in current manufacture. They are not listed in their catalog. They did however have some stock, which I ordered a minimum order of 10. None of the local dealers that are listed on their web site had any product at all or were they familiar with the AGS series of fuses.

I found that many people are using the AGC series fuses in the fuse housings requiring AGS series fuses. This does not work well. I found that sometimes the circuit goes open because the AGC's do not always make good contact inside the fuse holders.

I am sorry I do not have their web address. But little fuse is another product name for the company. I would try to contact them directly and see what you can get from them or change to circuit breakers. I also called aircraft spruce thay did not carry AGS series fuses.

What I am saying is if you find these fuses somewhere purchase what you can if you want to keep your fuse system

It took me a couple of weeks to find all of this out. I tried to get them through Cessna parts .com and through Broadies aircraft parts all to no avail.
Good Luck,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I personally talked to Hill Aircraft who assured me they had ample stock of these fuses. If you log onto http://cessnaparts.com/parts.cfm and enter the PN "S1091" you will be given a view of their "in stock" status and the prices of the various Amp ratings available.
They show every amperage from 1A, 2A, 3A, 5A, 10A, 15A, 20A, 25A, 30A, 35A, 50A, available at prices ranging from $1.54 to $3.84 each (in packages of 5.) They also have a toll free number: 800-998-7832.
Tell them you got their number from the Int'l Cessna 170 Assoc. Their price includes a 10% discount.
N8249A

Fuses

Post by N8249A »

Thanks for the tips, I have located some and should be back in the air soon, just as soon as the new gasket for the Gen and Tach Drive goes on and I see if I still have a leak but thats another story! Best regards to all, Marty
Marty,
N8249A, 52' 170B
robw56

Re: Buss fuses

Post by robw56 »

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I need some AGS fuses for my 170 which are very hard to find. I bought some from Yingling using the P/N S1091 hoping that was them. You must buy them in a pack of 5, the price is about $10, which I thought wasn't too bad. Then I found out that it's $10 PER FUSE. And I need a 10, 15, and 20 AMP (I really only NEED a 15 amp but I want extras for the other sizes). This means a minimum order of 15 fuses at a price of $150! I bit the bullet and ordered these thinking it was the only option. I just received the package in the mail and was VERY upset to see they sent me AGC fuses! If I wanted those I could have drove to the auto parts store and bought them for less than $1.50 each. These are the wrong size and don't work anyways. Does anyone out there know of a source to buy AGS fuses?
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Search "AGS fuses" or "4AG fuses" on ebay (they are the same thing). Then look for the rating you need. There usually are sellers trying to unload old stock. I found all that I need for years to come on ebay about 5 months ago, in the various sizes I need. If I remember correctly, I paid about $10-12 for containers of 5 no matter the rating. But read the listings carefully. You will find some selling them for about $10 PER FUSE, no doubt trying to catch the unaware.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Also, while I have not tried it, I've been told that you can use the metal caps from a burnt out AGS (or 4AG) fuse to convert an AGC fuse for use in an AGS fuse holder. Just break the glass and clean it out of the metal ends of the old AGS fuse. Then slip those ends over the ends of an AGC fuse. Useful in a pinch if another AGS fuse is not available.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I certainly hope you send the AGC fuses BACK! :evil:

Yes on the "conversion" Gene mentions.