Oil Filter Adapter for Avcon 180 Conversion

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyboy122

Oil Filter Adapter for Avcon 180 Conversion

Post by flyboy122 »

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up 1953 170B with the Avcon 180hp conversion. The conversion was done in the 70's, and judging by the panel (can you say ADF?) it wasn't touched other than to fly it since. It still has an old style oil screen that I would really like to convert to a filter. I have a stock Lycoming filter adapter (straight back design), but I don't think it will work. There is not a lot of room back there in the first place, but there is a mass of wires and the battery box drain. Even if I could shoehorn a filter in there, it would be a real pain to change.

Any suggestions on what sort of filter setup does work, such as a Casper 90 deg filter or similar? Yeah, an Airwolf remote filter would work, but it's kinda pricey, and I'm not a fan of the extra lines, drilling firewall mounting holes, etc.... I'd rather not go that route unless I had to.

Thanks,
DEM
minton

Re: Oil Filter Adapter for Avcon 180 Conversion

Post by minton »

I like the Casper but you will also need a spacer that they sell. I think mine was the 1 1/2 inch one.
mccarlie

Post by mccarlie »

I used the BC 700 with the 1.4" spacer and very happy with it.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Thanks guys. I'm assuming these adapters place the filter vertically? Any issues clearing the battery box, or oil cooler lines? If someone had a pic, that would be great.

Thanks,
DEM