TCP Update

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

That TCP is bad stuff. Stay away from it. It causes brain damage. I know--it was real popular among a certain crowd when I was younger. We used to call it angel dust.....
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Eric

I've often wondered about you and now I know.... :P
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
JDH

Post by JDH »

Ok doaky boys, listen up...
I spoke with Ron Newberg, the owner of the company that mannufactures AVP. He claims it does the same as TCP except without the side effect that it would kill you if you ingested it. But, don't drink AVP either... He ships it all over the Americas and sells in US $ (even to Canucks). He also manufactures a product called AVClean which is identical to AVBlend but without the FAA, PMA'D' CTC' ABC' "MOUSE" stuff... All cheaper thatn TCP or AVBlend, you decide. If you wish to communicate with Ron, you can reach him at: ron@canadianaero.com or phone 705-326-1368
He's quite a colourful character and will talk your ear off about this stuff.
JD
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Shipp asked for an update and I decided to respond in this thread rather than add to a new one.
I talked to Rick at Alcor, who updated their info.
They have found a new supplier for the "ToluSol" (toluene and naptha blend) they used for a carrier and hope to be in production very soon. (Whatever that means.)

Alcor
300 Breesport
San Antonio, TX 78216
(210) 349-6491
(800) 354-7233
Fax: (210) 308-8536
support@alcorinc.com
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Walker

Post by Walker »

So, low compression, low octane. You can go higher octane in low compression, but never lower octane in high compression. I would think that the current manufacturers of cylinders would be building around 100LL as that seems to be the fuel available today ( in spite of the fact the internal concept has not changed). I like George's insight on belly cleaning. A few things I know about how to destroy an aircooled engine in a short period of are, for example; is to shut it down scorching hot and let it sit for a long time before running again. The oil is burnt off and raw metal sits waiting for moisture. Often times the fuel is blamed for conditions that are created by the operator.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I visited with Mike Hundere, son of the founder of Alcor today, and was given an update on TCP.
Shell Oil has been the supplier of their carrier agent ToluSol (a blend of Toluene and Naptha) and Shell has stopped manufacturing that product.
Alcor has been in laboratory testing to "reverse-engineer" the solvent and has finally found success, only to face another obstacle....the city re-zoned their warehouse which put them in a zone which does not allow flammable fluids handling. (I've may have described this in reverse order, but the result is the same.)
Anyway, they've now got a contract with a commercial blender who will make the stuff for them here in central Texas (Temple area) and the product should be shipping soon.
A new development is that they have endorsed my idea to produce and package it in squeeze-bottles with a built-in dispensing chamber which should make it much friendlier to handle. Now the only major obstacle is getting distribution retailers set up with the product again for point-of-sale locations. Meanwhile, the first available sources will likely be folks like Aviall, Spruce, etc.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)