Hangar Door Warranty Problem (Split from ECI Cyl Probs)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

marathonrunner

Hangar Door Warranty Problem (Split from ECI Cyl Probs)

Post by marathonrunner »

This warranty denied stuff is way out of hand. A lot is operational but in a lot of cases it is not. I think they deny it just hoping you will go away. I am in one with Schweiss doors of all places. Ordered a door for a hangar in Kodiak Alaska. Gave the the opening dimensions as requested. Got the door which has to be trucked to Seattle then shipped via barge. When the installers came down from Anchorage to put it up it was not the correct size.

NOw they are insisting they would not make such a mistake and even though the installers, myself and one other person has let them know that yes the door is exactly the dimension of the opening they refuse to believe it. Am taking photos and may even take a video of a person opening a brand new 100 foot tape measure and witha timer so that they cannot say oh you turned the video off, have one person put the tape on one end and the other run it down and show them that yes it is exactly the size I sent them and so is the door.

They now want someone to be up at the hangar with a tape measure and take some other measurements. It was almost 1200.00 to get additional box steel and weld it to the sides to correct their obvious mistake and I think they are not wanting to pay up. They also insist on a wire transfer or money orde for payment so no freaking way you can use a credit card and contest the bill until it gets resolved.

I would not recommend Schweiss to anyone
It's not done till it's overdone
zander3668n

Re: 35hours and ECI Nickel problems

Post by zander3668n »

That's too bad. Without moving away from the topic, when I bought my hangar door last year both HiFold Doors and AeroDoor hangar doors asked me to measure my openings when they sent me the quote. I ended up going with AeroDoor and had a guy from there help me over the phone. I think they have 2" or 4" around the door to allow for this type of thing.

They built me a damn fine door. http://www.hangardoors.aero
GAHorn

Re: Hangar Door Warranty Problem (Split from ECI Cyl Probs)

Post by GAHorn »

The problem of a hangar door became very troublesome to my thinking, after hearing these sort of stories. It is one of the motivating factors that brought me to design/build my own door (along with the actual price, plus shipping and erection costs, coupled with the Schweiss and other's demands for re-engineering MY hangar so THEIR door could be constructed!) :roll: It was my thought that it was THEIR obligation to design/build their door to fit the bldg... not the other way around....especially since the bldg was already constructed, AND their own advertising promotes their ability to fit any bldg! :?

I used my hangar-door opening as the actual "jig" to build my own door and have never been disappointed. (Saved about $9K in cost differences to boot.) http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... angar+door
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ginbug92b

Re: Hangar Door Warranty Problem (Split from ECI Cyl Probs)

Post by ginbug92b »

I bought a Wilson door, gave them my measurements, they built it and everything is still perfect 18 years later.
Mark 55B N4492B 53PA-18 N3357A