Has anyone installed a 160 HP engine in a 170?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ronair

Has anyone installed a 160 HP engine in a 170?

Post by ronair »

I have a 1950 170A that I am putting in the owner-maintenance category. I would like to put a 160 HP engine on it and would like to know if anyone has done this already? If so, what kind of paperwork is involved, and could I pick your brain for information?
thanks, Ron
blueldr

Re: Has anyone installed a 160 HP engine in a 170?

Post by blueldr »

Look up the Doyn (sp?) conversions. Doyn did one using a Lycoming O-340, which I believe is 160 HP. Wasn't there an optional version from Cessna using the 165 HP Franklin?
BL
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Blueldr is correct in that Doyn produced several STC conversions in the late sixties/early seventies for Lycoming engines but I thought the 0340 was 170HP. I have the 160 HP version in mine and as you mention O-M category, I'm thinking your a Canadian asking this question. My standard answer to this (O-M) is "why would you want to do that? "
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:Blueldr is correct in that Doyn produced several STC conversions in the late sixties/early seventies for Lycoming engines but I thought the 0340 was 170HP. I have the 160 HP version in mine and as you mention O-M category, I'm thinking your a Canadian asking this question. My standard answer to this (O-M) is "why would you want to do that? "
Jim, can you expand on the merits and demerits of that OM concept?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Ok this is really dredging up past decades without looking up facts. I think ther were two versions of the 340. One was 160 and one was 170. As I recall there was an engine prop issue with the STC for the 170 as in the prop had an AD or something and the replacement prop was quite expensive. I may be totally off base here. If nobody has definiteve answers I will research this for factual information.

Much as I hate to say it blueldr is correct but not about fuel. Oh yeah if you are really 90 and driving a Vespa to the airport 75 miles away I only hope I can be doing the same if I even make it to that age. My hat is off to you
It's not done till it's overdone
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Jim

I forgot....it should be you're not your. I see a lot of butchering of the english language here and according to the FARs we have to read, speak and understand the english language.

That being said, how come the FAA still has "sex" on all their forms when it should be gender...sex is a verb. I always cross it out and put gender or ask if I can make it a multiple choice answer.

Ever have a fed ask "Where are you at?" At is a preposition and you do not end sentences with a preposition. Thank you Mrs. Long...third grade teacher and long gone now but well remembered
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

"Where are you at?""
is a standard "Hello" greeting in Newfoundland as is " Where are you to? "... (what have you been up to or what are you doing?) and M (sorry I sometimes, in haste neglect to proofread) you're correct..how's that? :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

marathonrunner wrote:Jim

I forgot....it should be you're not your. I see a lot of butchering of the english language here and according to the FARs we have to read, speak and understand the english language.

That being said, how come the FAA still has "sex" on all their forms when it should be gender...sex is a verb. I always cross it out and put gender or ask if I can make it a multiple choice answer.

Ever have a fed ask "Where are you at?" At is a preposition and you do not end sentences with a preposition. Thank you Mrs. Long...third grade teacher and long gone now but well remembered
I found the BATF to be unfriendly when they returned my firearms application to me for correction: In the space labelled "race"... knowing the gov't is supposedly color-blind... I entered "human". (They don't have much sense of humor.) :?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n3437d

Post by n3437d »

Trying desperately to figure out what sex and gender has to do with installing a 160 HP in a 170 :roll:

Inquiring minds need to know this for his/her next flight physical:

Sex = male and female

Gender = masculine and feminine

So in essence:

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs.

Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine, or how one "presents" to others.

So while your sex as male or female is a biological fact that is the same in any culture, what that sex means in terms of your gender role as a 'man' or a 'woman' in society can be quite different cross culturally.
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Even with all of the above stuff, I still think Mogas is the best thing that ever came along for airplanes and wallets.

P .S. By holding my cruise speed down to 43 MPH on my GT200 Vespa on the 35 mile trip home from the airport, using premium grade mogas, the trip takes 6 minutes longer, but I have boosted my mileage from about 60 to over 74 MPG. I keep telling you guys that mogas is great stuff.
BL
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Actually sex can be a noun or a verb. I looked it up again. Wow George, the BATF? I am surprised they have not put you on a "no fly" list. Wonder why they need to know your ethnicity? Maybe for statistical purposes? Can't let one ethnic group have more firearms then another?

Hey BL how often do you go to the airport? I mean daily and 6 minutes a trip is 12 minutes a day. You can do a lot with almost an hour and a half a week...like read a good book. I guess with a Vespa you can read while you are going back and forth to the airport :lol:
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Jim, can you expand on the merits and demerits of that OM concept?

I can't think of one good thing about this category.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I am not sure how Owner Maintained works in Canada. I think the O-340's are best left to view in a museum if you don't have space for anything worthwhile. I would go with an O-360 or even the Franklin. The Franklin is a very smooth running engine. The valves do need to be checked for adjustment but I have owned and flown behind many with no problems at all. Parts are still available too. The O-360 for now seems to be the most popular choice and parts for it should be available for quite some time
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

George I could do a top ten reasons why but I'll start at number 1 to be brief. An O-M cat aircraft cannot be flown into the USA! A Canadian owner may say "doesn't matter I'll never fly there" (sadly IMHO they don't know what they're missing) but it also means their aircraft cannot be flown by someone else who may wish to do so in the future. Any commercial value in the machine is toast the moment it's entered into this cat. What's the advantage? The owner can do all the maintenance....but it still has to be maintained to basic standards. So what's really needed is likely a working relationship with an AME.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I installed an other than stock engine in my C-170B. (A Continrntal, 210 HP, IO-360) It's one helluva job and i'm damned if I'd even THINK about it for a gain of 15 HP. If you're going to go to all that trouble, give it an engine that will give it a real jab in the ass.
You can get a lousy 15 extra horsepower out of your C-145/O-300 by bootlegging in a set of Continental C-85 pistons with chamferred tops and who , but you, would know without rearing the engine down. Helluva lot easier and no paperwork to contend with.
BL