Factory cabin entry steps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dbarron

Factory cabin entry steps

Post by dbarron »

I have been searching for just the right picture to tell me if Cessna put any sort of anti-slip on the steps that assist in entry of the cabin. Anyone know or have any photos that show the step? Was it just paint or something to prevent slipping?

Dillon

P.S. : the project is coming great! Just put the paint on it last week. Got all the material in for the interior, as well as the engine parts back to get started on the reassembly on it. .... I am starting a blog (wish I would have sooner) but if you want to check it out it is at http://cessna170restoration.blogspot.com ( I am still slowly getting caught up on photos but should be up to present before too long)
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com
n3437d

Re: Factory cabin entry steps

Post by n3437d »

don't know if this helps - I have replaced the non-skid portion on the upper surface of both step assists - can't remember where I bought it - either at Home Depot (or similar) or True Value (Ace)
http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... Id=1273900

It has great adhesive qualities - probably replaced the tape twice in 12 years - You could almost sand wood with with the grain surface - I bought black but I think it may come in yellow as well.

Joel
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I think the question was if a non-skid treatment was applied Originally from the Cessna factory.
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

We have a brush on compound that we have used on our skydiving airplanes for the skydiving steps we manufactured. It is like a tar with sandy grit that has to be stirred, but yes, I was in need of some sort of proof of whether or not Cessna applied it to the doorway steps originally or not.. :?:
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I would think that Cessna put some kind of non skid on the step if only to CYA in case of a rainy day and wet shoe soles.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Randolph "Wing Walk" paint is available for the purpose. But I have never heard of any factory-original treatment of such.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... ngwalk.php
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Our 170 had an anti-skid coating from the factory. I belive it was a paint type product, but not sure. I have used the wing walk paint and it works very well.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

bsdunek wrote:Our 170 had an anti-skid coating from the factory. I belive it was a paint type product, but not sure. I have used the wing walk paint and it works very well.

Do you have any photos showing this? I am not doubting anyone but how did you find out it was from the factory that way?
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
54170b

Post by 54170b »

I have some adds hanging in my room, ill check there and see if I can see the wing walk on the step. You could go on ebay and look at old cessna 170 ads, but Im sure the grit was there. If it wasent cessna could get sued for injury, And why wouldent they put it on?
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Dillon,
When considering anti-slip material on your steps you might look at it in the same way you would flying your airplane with or without a shoulder harness. There is a point where safety trumps originality. IMO.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
54170b

Post by 54170b »

If this was facebook. I would "like" that comment
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

54170b wrote:If this was facebook. I would "like" that comment
I like it even if this isn't Facebook! :lol:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

54170b wrote:I have some adds hanging in my room, ill check there and see if I can see the wing walk on the step. You could go on ebay and look at old cessna 170 ads, but Im sure the grit was there. If it wasent cessna could get sued for injury, And why wouldent they put it on?

These airplanes were built before lawyers thought Cessna had enough money to sue for...that's why we have seat tracks like we do. :?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

dbarron wrote:
bsdunek wrote:Our 170 had an anti-skid coating from the factory. I belive it was a paint type product, but not sure. I have used the wing walk paint and it works very well.

Do you have any photos showing this? I am not doubting anyone but how did you find out it was from the factory that way?
Because I was there!
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

bsdunek wrote: Because I was there!
Now, that is impressive :!: