Where can I purchase a new starter engagement cable/handle

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

kidalways

Where can I purchase a new starter engagement cable/handle

Post by kidalways »

I am re-vamping my instrument panel - and in the course of doing this I needed to fully remove the starter engagement t-handle. The cable - right or wrong had a splice installed near the engagement arm for the starter. I had no other choice than to cut the cable at the splice. I do not want to put another cable splice in there - even though I never had issues with the engagement of the starter. Where would I find a new T-handle assembly?

Dean
blueldr

Re: Where can I purchase a new starter engagement cable/hand

Post by blueldr »

How about silver soldering a new piece of music wire into the old T handle?
BL
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

The original isn't a t-handle, but a knob like on the vent controls, though I think the t-handle is easier to use in the starter application. Here's one that will work. Approval is another story...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Sounds like a great time to upgrade to a SkyTec maybe
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Frankly, the idea of grinding off the starter pinion shaft to install the Sky Tek starter does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling on an active engine. Murphys law, you know.
I installed a new wire in my T handle by pulling the old wire out of the shank on the Tee, reaming the hole out to accept the new wire and silver soldering the new wire in.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

A SkyTec starter seems like a really expensive way to replace a $50.00 cable or a $5.00 piece of music wire.

I guess if you can afford it, anything can be an excuse to replace things.
I re-wired my whole plane and installed breakers last year because of a bad fuse holder :wink:
170C

Post by 170C »

A number of years ago I replaced my starter cable with the same "T" handle that Miles mentioned above and have been quite satisfied with it. It is far superior to the factory knob when starting the engine with sweaty fingers. That is the only reason I installed it.
My mechanic has installed a number of Sky-Tec starters and has had to cut off the pinion on each. I too have been reluctant to preform that chore. I would have one on mine today were it not for my reluctance to cut off that pinion while the gear is inside the accessory case. However, I have been reassured by my mechanic as well as my fellow associates at Sky-Tec that if you follow the directions provided on line that you won't have any issues. My mechanic adds magnets in the clay or grease and I have been told lately of using a shop vac as an additional means of making sure no filings get into the accessory case. I imagine others who might be considering this installation would be interested in hearing from any of you who have preformed this procedure and any tips you can pass along.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
HA

Post by HA »

well here's the selection at Aircraft Spruce - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/controls.html

I replaced the knob on my starter cable years ago when my wife couldn't pull it due to a broken thumb (little issue with a swather at the farm), I used a spare parking brake T-handle from a Comanche that we had laying around. It's still there, no clue where my old knob went.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If one desires a T-handle control for the pull starter, I'd recommend against a locking control. If it ever should inadvertently become locked with the starter engaged...... 8O

Here's a good one which does not lock and is "glide free" : http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a1770.php

As for approval, the glide free version is no different than the original except for the shape of the handle. Log it as a minor alteration. Simple logbook entry.

While the idea of cutting pinions off inside the accy case is a matter for careful work... it shouldn't be a major problem. What concerns me about the "lightweight" starters (Sky-Tec, B&C, Etc.) is not that so much as my experiences with other new-comers to various fields who give every appearance they're in the business for the long-term... then they disappear with no recourse for product support in the future. Their warranties and responsibilities to customers are then worthless, of course.

Having cut the pinion off ...what do you do when the mfr'r of your new-fangled starter disappears on you? What does an owner 20 years down the road do when you try to sell the airplane to him? Do you really need to spend $700 to change systems when less than $250 will replace your current system with all-new/overhauled parts?

The original starters have been around for over 60 years and will still be around in another 60 because of the sheer numbers which have been mfr'd and are out there on airplanes and on shelves at repair facilities waiting for exchange. The other issues which have raised ugly heads from time to time with some of these new products are additionally discouraging, in my opinion.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)