Tricycle C170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Tricycle C170

Post by doug8082a »

I recently picked up an old "Pilot Report" type magazine article from the mid-sixties. While doing the write up on the virtues of used C170s, the author also made mention of some of the STCs available - this included the (gulp 8O ) conversion to tricycle gear and even included a picture! I've often heard of this aberration, but had never actually seen it. What a sad thing to do to a fine airplane :( I ran the tail number in the photo (N9202A) and it's a '49 still on the books in CA. Anyone ever see it? It'd would be interesting to see if it still bears the indignity of a nosewheel or if someone has converted it back to conventional gear.
Doug
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

I once saw a 140 that had patches on the fuselage where it had at one time been tri-cycle. But at least someone save it from its past and converted it back.

Kelly
C170BDan

tri-gear

Post by C170BDan »

I ran into a guy at Oshkosh that showed me pictures of his before he owned it and it had that tri-gear convertion. LOOKS AWFULL! Glad he has it converted back!
Dan
1956 170B N3467D
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The tricycle gear conversion of the C-170 is what prompted Cessna to build the C-172. They decided that if customers wanted a nose wheel on the airplane they would build them that way. It resulted in the most popular aircraft ever designed and over thirty five thousand (35,000) of them have been built.
Let,s face it. Tailwheels are a gone goose! None are being built and it is extremely unlikely that that any more of them will be. Even the bush operators prefer the C-206, except that some of them need a plane to put on skis in the winter and you just can't do that with a nose wheel.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

There is a '49 based at Hammonton, NJ that still has the nose wheel conversion mount up front but has been changed back to tail wheel configuration.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Tri Gear 170

Post by 170C »

I have seen one of the trigear 170's @ a couple of the 170 conventions. I have forgotten the name of the conversion, but like others who have replied, I didn't much care for it as it was painted flat black. However, I can't say too much as I have a C-172 that has been converted to conventional gear-------guess its what pops your cork!

Ole Pokey
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

*** Update ***
I've been contacted by the current owner of N9202A and I'm happy to report she's in good hands. She's been restored to her original polished/red trim finish and also has her tail back on the ground where it belongs. :D
Doug
spiro

Post by spiro »

my 170A, N1364D, was converted to nosewheel in '56, then back to t/w in '64. The last vestiges of it, nosewheel mods to the engine mount, I removed during a rebuild.

Met-Co-Aire made the kit.
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

This is an interesting topic. Back in 1972 when I was a student pilot, one of the local pilots had a tri-gear Cessna 140. It wasn't nearly as ugly as the 170 conversions look in the pictures. The all-time ugly champ was the Met-co-aire Stinson 108 conversion - hideous beyond belief!

I'm beginning to wonder if any of these erstwhile nosedraggers are still extant. Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Used to be a all aluminum 170 with a nosewheel, behind some buildings and chain link fence at Chandler Field, Fresno, CA twenty some odd years ago. Don't know if it is still there or not.
billmccown

Post by billmccown »

There is still a tailwheel aircraft being built. It is the Taylorcraft which is built in La Grange, Texas, Home of the old Chicken Ranch. I toured the factory today and they have sold three new ones. They build both the tailwheel and the nosewheel model. Not a bad price either. They use the same old jigs that they used in the 40's.
Bill
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

That's right,"conventional gear" airplanes aren't quite dead yet,there are still a few being made: Husky,American Champion (Citabria),Taylorcraft,Maule, supposedly soon to include the Renaisance Luscombe 8. Maybe some others if they ever get those new sport pilot/light-sport aircraft regs in place.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And don't forget most homebuilts and aerobatic types.
I think it'd be very interesting for a 170 which left the factory with the tri-gear mod to be judged alongside other 170's at the convention. If it were a pristine airplane, I think Dan Linn and me and a few other original contestants would be out in the cold if the rules were religiously enforced. Heh? :lol:
It'd certainly be a real contender for the custom award also? We'd have to consider a best custom/original award and then ...what if it were the one to arrive from farthest away? 8O
I'd love to see one. It'd be like looking at an old Edsel, no?
Robert Bishop

Post by Robert Bishop »

That Cessna 170 at Chandler air field was converted back to it's tail on the ground were it belongs N9202A thats the aircraft that Doug was talking about and it's base in Tranquillity Ca. and looking good .
God speed& smooth air
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

When I was living in Jamaica, back in the 60's a fellow had a rag wing 170 and converted it to a trike. It looked awful; I never flew it but those who did loved it !
I guess the 170 is a great airplane even with a training wheel.
Rudy