Aviation "Code of Ethics"

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Aviation "Code of Ethics"

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Nothing irritates me more than when some one makes a low pass down my runway and THEN doesn't land and have some ice tea with me :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
ron74887

Re: Aviation "Code of Ethics"

Post by ron74887 »

Willie, I can't agree more!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Why do the pass if you're not going to stop and say HI! Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I suspect those who do the low pass fly-bys over Pvt fields are afraid their airplanes might be impounded if they landed without prior authorization. I am not aware of a pvt field owner ever actually impounding an aircraft - not sure how it would be done in the first place - but, there are rumors of it occurring. I hear the folks up in Washington state on island airports among the San Juans are particularly nasty about univited guests. I can imagine drop ins would get old after a while. I suppose, not unlike driving down the road and spotting a nicely manicured drive leading back to an isolated home on a nice piece or property driving up to the front door and stating "here I am, thought I would look around, do you mind?"

My Uncle has a beautiful home in the middle of 50 acres in East Texas. As you enter the drive you pass a sign that reads, "Welcome neighbor'. The signs goes on, "If you are not a neighbor you are trepassing. Trespassers will be shot."
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I know few owners of private airfields. In fact Ron and W. are two of four I can think of right at the moment and the third is where I keep my 170. So I do not have permission to land.

Occasionally I might do a low pass down a field when I see someone on the ground and hopefully I'll get some signal I'm invited to land. Only got that signal once while flying Chopper10 for the Philadelphia NBC affiliate. Landed and had a nice chat with the owner who invited me back with my Cub or 170. It's been over 8 years and I haven't made it back so I'd probably do a low pass if I ever get over that way to see what kind of signal I might get.

W. with a little creative fertilizer application on your strip, you can easily send a welcome message. :lol:
Welcome.jpg
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I consider myself a friendly guy. I like visitors. ... but if strangers start landing here without prior permission I'd be put-off. I'm not always home and I'm not always prepared for uninvited guests....this is my HOME. I don't live in town because I don't want to live in the midst of strangers who seem to think it's OK to help themselves to my property.

I once had a guy land his ultralight here and I drove out to the runway to see if he was having mechanical difficulties. He said, "No"...he was just looking around.
I told him that unless he wanted to walk home and bring the sheriff back with him to retrieve his flying lawn chair he'd best not land here again unless I invite him. And I meant it. I'm not always home.
Years ago when I was a single-parent, I once came home late at night and found a Coke can on my kitchen table and a handwritten note that said, "Guess you weren't home." I have no idea who was in my house. If I ever find out I'll probably not react very well.

In my opinion, Bruce has it right... A low pass is fun and entertaining. ( A slow roll is even better!) :P

If I want an impromptu visitor...then I'll go out and wave at you to land. If I don't wave... then wag your wings and keep on flying.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

95 % of the time around here......it's someone I know :D

Now Bruce, you get this way again and you don't land.........well.... I can't say all those nasty words on the net, but you better stop :D

W.

p.s. you too Ron.....I'll give you a quart of Bruce's oil :lol: :lol: :lol:
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
mit

Post by mit »

Do that around here on a remote runway you don't know and you might need some sheet metal repairs 8O :lol:
Tim
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

mit wrote:Do that around here on a remote runway you don't know and you might need some sheet metal repairs 8O :lol:
Would that be the "dollar and a dime" patch? I've done a few of those :wink:
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
ginbug92b

Post by ginbug92b »

I am more than happy to have some stranger drop in my place and visit, as long as they are proficent and safe operating out of grass fields. One day I had the hanger door open and some old man drove in. He got out and was admiring my Super Cub and then told me that when he got discharged from the service he bought a Luscombe and got his Private in it. Then he got married in 1948 and had to sell the plane and never got to fly again. His wife had just died and he was just driving around feeling bad and he stumbled on my place so he pulled in. I asked him if he thought he could get in the back of my Cub, he said he would try and with my help I got him in. I took off and climbed up 1500ft and told him to take the controls, he did a great job for someone who hadn't touched the controls for over 50 years. When we landed I could see he had been crying. He was so grateful, it brought back many fond memories. I made his day, and by not running him off he truely made my day.
Mark 55B N4492B 53PA-18 N3357A
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

Boy George, talk about Southern hospitality!!!!!!!
Scott 53B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cmsusllc wrote:Boy George, talk about Southern hospitality!!!!!!!
Scott 53B
I presume that is a joking remark. I am famous for my hospitality. My previous remarks are about uninvited guests and strangers who assume a runway is always for their use.

I'll give another example: I own a boat and love to go boating/camping/picnicing as much as anyone.
My property adjoins a large public lake many miles long. Total strangers think nothing of beaching their boats upon my shore and exploring, gathering wood and having fires and picnics, target-shooting my trees, and leaving their smoldering fires, their trash, beer cans, their soiled baby-diapers, etc etc on my property. They seem to think that since the lake is public...so must be all the shoreline..and they never consider that it's actually private party. Some of them have even dumped old car batteries and tires.

I've already told of how someone unknown to me has actually entered my home while I was away. I'm no longer single and will not look favorably upon anyone unknown to me who takes it upon themselves to enter my property, including by landing without prior permission. (I hope it's obvious I am not talking about TIC170A Members, whom we automatically recognize.) It is common courtesy of civilized people to call someone before "popping over" to visit, don't you agree?

Anyone who is a Member of this fine organization will have a Membership Directory. They will note next to my name a symbol: (H) ... which means I am inviting any fellow Members to my place during their travels. All that is necessary is to CALL me beforehand.

Is that so unhospitable, Scott?

As for other aspects of Aviation Code of Ethics: Is this any different than visiting a line of parked aircraft? Is it OK for a stranger to walk up to an unknown airplane sitting at a tiedown and actually open up doors? Cowlings? Enter the cockpit? In fact..should they even TOUCH another's aircraft without specific permission?

I think not. I feel the same way about private runways.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

Well this one has taken a turn. :lol: When I said the above post I figured that anyone buzzing my strip knows me and is saying hello. Well Stop in. I never gave a thought to someone (stranger to land and enjoy himself). I agree whole heartedly with George about strangers. ( I can't believe I said that) :lol: :lol: . Example: Some guy was doing touch and go's so I went out to flag him down to se who it was--He hauled butt. Called approach and got his N number went to the airport and found out name and address from his brother-in-law and sent him a $3,000.00 landing fee bill and stating if not paid would put a lien on his plane. That got his attention--hasn't been back since. Also, found out he'd been landing on the headland between the crops. He called and talked to Ted (which owns half the airstrip) and was told forget the bill just don't return without permission. However, I go back most people that buzz my strip know me or Ted and are more than welcome to stop and visit. Same with 170 members come by and be sure to stop!!! Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I was always taught that you mustn't land on private property without the owner's permission. I once used an alfalfa field behind my cousin's house, after asking him to get permission from the farmer, which he did. The problem was, the farmer wasn't the owner. When the owner saw me there, he asked me emphatically to leave as soon as possible, which I did. :oops:

Seaplane pilots know that some lakes are verboten, and it isn't always easy to find out: you have to figure out who owns the property and ask them. There should be no difference with private airstrips. Buzzing someone's field whom you don't know is just rude, IMHO. You're not landing, so the regulation requires you to stay at least 500 AGL or 500 feet away from any people, buildings, motor homes, tractors, etc. (FAR 91.119) It makes no difference if there's an airstrip there or not.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I would also think there would a liability issue?? I'm not a pilot, so not sure how that works. But I do know about the possible liability issues if someone were to sneak on to my place to go fishing or hunting, and a tragic accident occurred.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Boy I think you guys raise the temps some today :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember when I was a young kid (in the early 60's....when bluelder was a young man) when we heard a plane we would run to the window or run outside to see it. As time went on it became more common place to hear and see planes (70's-80's) i still would look up but yea it's a plane...... but guys I hate to tell ya but it's getting to the point at least around here that I'm hearing less and find myself getting excited when I hear one and go look see.
I understand there are "Bad Actors" in any group of people and there are certainly many reason to be concerned about someone landing on your private grass strip but it's getting few and far between and someday maybe in my life time a rare occurrence when some one lands on my grass strip. If he's a jerk I'll kick his sorry a$$ off ....if he's a decent guy I'll give him a glass of ice tea........then kick his sorry #$$ off :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a great evening, we might drop below 75 tonight :D :D

W.

p.s. I love the line Robert DuVall says in one of his westerns as he holds a sawed off double barrel shot gun......"You ever see what a buck 50 in dimes does to a steer. 8O ......is that what you guys were talking about in the repairing metal comment.....
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC