Factory printing on plastic sub-panel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

russfarris

Factory printing on plastic sub-panel

Post by russfarris »

On the 1956 170 and early 172s, the plastic sub-panel where the switches are have the black lettering embossed (sp??) into the plastic.
I'm wondering exactly what process Cessna used to do this. At some point I want to freshen up the panel with vinyl paint, and I'm not that thrilled about using my P-touch label maker as I did on some of the extra switches that were added later. Trying to keep this old 172 as original as possible. Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
GAHorn

Re: Factory printing on plastic sub-panel

Post by GAHorn »

Russ, I can't say the exact method Cessna used on the 1956 airplane, but the NOS plastic panel I have in-stock for the 170-A (PN 0413316-4) is reverse-engraved on it's backside...apparently by etching or blasting....then appears to be "filled" with paint. My own 170-B panel was reverse-engraved by a jeweller/trophy-mfr and then filled with "Testor's" modelling paint found at model and toy shops (and even that chineese outlet run by the Walton family.)
MVC-032S.JPG
You can fill the engraved lettering with the paint, then wipe it off (leaving the lettering still full of paint) and let it dry. One can use 0000 steel-wool to buff the front of the plastic to remove glare.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

If you should learn something every day, this is mine. :D I had always assumed that panel was silkscreened, but I've never had it off to tell for sure.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
jwsowles

Post by jwsowles »

I was pleased with results on my '56. Spray painted panel, let dry for few days. Used black indelible fine point Sharpie and followed the embossed grooves. Fine point fit nicely inside. In a couple of places the grooves were too shallow to follow but with care and going slowly. I did it in the plane by masking all the knobs and nuts. Will remove it and do it properly one day if I every have the cables dissassembled. But for now it looks far better than before.

John
John
N3487D '56 170B
N1427E '46 7AC
N36805 '41 BC65
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jwsowles wrote:I was pleased with results on my '56. Spray painted panel, let dry for few days. Used black indelible fine point Sharpie and followed the embossed grooves. Fine point fit nicely inside. In a couple of places the grooves were too shallow to follow but with care and going slowly. I did it in the plane by masking all the knobs and nuts. Will remove it and do it properly one day if I every have the cables dissassembled. But for now it looks far better than before.

John
John...perhaps I misunderstand your words...but are you saying you spray painted your instrument panel (not the plastic switch panel) and then highlighted your switch panel with a Sharpie? (And.... if that is what you did...are you also saying that your switch panel was engraved on the FRONT side ...the side facing the cockpit? If that is also true....then it's likely you do not have an original Cessna switch panel, but instead someone has mfr'd a replacement at some point in time.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
HA

Post by HA »

nope, on the '56 172 at least the switch panel is a plastic overlay and the lettering is engraved (pressed or stamped?) into the front. If I ever repaint mine someday (it's in pretty good shape though) I'll do the sharpie trick too. I've done that with other airplanes with that type of labelling, as long as you're careful it looks good.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

HA wrote:nope, on the '56 172 at least the switch panel is a plastic overlay and the lettering is engraved (pressed or stamped?) into the front. If I ever repaint mine someday (it's in pretty good shape though) I'll do the sharpie trick too. I've done that with other airplanes with that type of labelling, as long as you're careful it looks good.
Well...as Miles pointed out....learning is an everyday experience. I never noticed that '56 model switch panel detail. (Of course, I"ve only observed a couple of '56 models and the only one I looked at the instrument panel closely had been completely re-done and did not have the original switch panel installed...so I remained ignorant of that difference.) If anyone can produce/post a closeup picture...??
gparker

Post by gparker »

On My '56 170 the lettering is sik screened, I believe. I'm going to the hangar on tuesday or Wednesday and I will check. I have been wondering how one would refurb (paint and redo silkscreened lettering) my panel.

Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

George - I can't post pictures on the forum because our membership in the 170 association is in Forrest's name, but here's a link to panel shots of our '57 172 with the same as '56 170 plastic lower panel. The labels on the radio switches below the right hand com are the ones I made with a P-touch label maker, the tiny labels next to the other controls is the Cessna factory lettering I'm talking about. It's definitely not silk-screened, it's embossed or stamped right into the plastic. I like the Sharpie idea - sounds like detail model airplane work! Russ Farris

http://www.cessna172club.com/forum/ubbt ... #Post33241
All glory is fleeting...
jwsowles

Post by jwsowles »

Yes - that is the same panel as in my '56 170. Same color too. George, whether mine was original equipment, I don't know. There was nothing in the logbook to suggest a replacement or mod. My SN is pretty close to end of the 170 line, #27030, so I suspect they were using parts for the upcoming 172?
John
John
N3487D '56 170B
N1427E '46 7AC
N36805 '41 BC65
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I just looked in my IPC for the 170. The embossed lower plastic panel was from S/N 26996 on. What's the S/N of the last 170 off the line?
It's likely the panel change was already planned for the 170C, which was certified but never put into production. The 170C morphed into the 172.

There is a '56 here in CLT that belongs to the retired head of CLT ATC. It also had the early 172 style panel. First time I saw it about 15 years ago, it was a survivor - original paint and interior. It's since been re-painted, but still polished aluminum.

Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Russ...if you email them to me I'll post them.
Forrest Walton

Post by Forrest Walton »

Here are some before and after pictures of Russ's panel work.

Forrest

DSCN0367.jpg
2011-04-15_18-26-37_945.jpg
2011-04-15_18-28-35_426.jpg
Living the Dream!