Compass correction cards, looking for originals

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Compass correction cards, looking for originals

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Folks I'm in the production stages of our directory. I'd like to include compass correction templates on what would otherwise be a blank inside back cover.

So I'm looking for anyone who might have an original compass correction card that they could scan and send to me. In particular I'm looking for the longer narrow version found in the '53 and later aircraft. I already have the common Air Path version shown below.
Screen shot 2011-02-22 at 8.33.13 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-02-22 at 8.33.13 AM.png (26.62 KiB) Viewed 13295 times
Thanks
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rhymes

Re: Compass correction cards, looking for originals

Post by rhymes »

Well Bruce, I for one am hoping you get some response to your appeal. I'd like to go back to the original style correction card in our '54 B Model.
I know George Horn had one engraved at the proper size to fit the panel holder, and that has been my fall-back option.
Anybody out there with a sample?
Bruce and Kathy Rhymes
N2865C
Bruce & Kathy Rhymes
1954 Cessna 170B
N2865C
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

ccard.xls
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 806 times
This doesn't directly address the question, but here's a spreadsheet that I use to create an Airpath-style compass card, with printing in a font that I can actually read. It contains directions for changing the size of the card, and I think you could probably change the card's format as well, if you had an example that you wanted to duplicate.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rhymes wrote:Well Bruce, I for one am hoping you get some response to your appeal. I'd like to go back to the original style correction card in our '54 B Model.
I know George Horn had one engraved at the proper size to fit the panel holder, and that has been my fall-back option.
Anybody out there with a sample?
Bruce and Kathy Rhymes
N2865C

Yes, for two or three years I searched for an original card for the '53 and later holders, and have never found one, prompting me to have one custom mfr'd. I used a piece of acrylic 3-5/16" X 3/4" and had it reverse-engraved, then back-filled it with Tempo model paint, and used 0000 steel-wool to make it non-reflective.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jwsowles

Post by jwsowles »

CompassCard.pdf
(35.04 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
You are welcome to this one. I have it in several formats but this is a pdf. I'll try to post but if it doesn't come thru, let me know.
John
N3487D '56 170B
N1427E '46 7AC
N36805 '41 BC65
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks that looks good did you make it? Only problem with it is there is no scale. How big should it be? The PDF prints about 1 1/4" deep by about 6". Would be easy to read on the panel but I don't think it'll fit in the holder. :)

jwsowles

Post by jwsowles »

Good catch. Sent wrong version. This should print to correct scale. Fits in my little card holder.
CompassCard.doc
(142.5 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
John
N3487D '56 170B
N1427E '46 7AC
N36805 '41 BC65
Bruce Fenstermacher

Ok guys here is what I came up with. The Airpath is a direct duplicate complete with imperfections in the lines and spacing.
The Cessna version is my version of the card jwsowles sent. Don't have any clue if it resembles the card Cessna supplied but I think it looks good. I've added original Cessna compass card to my list of things to find and document/duplicate.

I intend to print these on the inside cover of the up coming directory which is a nice card stock so that they may be cut out and used in your aircraft. I'm steeling this idea from the Short Wing Piper Club.

ANYWAY I need a couple of guys with the later B model panels to print these at 100% and cut them out and see if they fit in the '53 and later card holder. Please report back ASAP. The directory is going to press shortly. Anyone can do it but I'm know Paul Wood and George Horn have their planes in their back yard, there are of course others.

BTW I've tested the Airpath and the Cessna card in their appropriate holders in the A model I have so I'm good with that info but all are welcome to try them and report back.
Compass Correction Cards.pdf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 1018 times

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well...I can't believe I didn't do what I always tell all you guys to do before now.... :oops:

....but I finally followed my own advice and contacted CESSNA for CESSNA PARTS !!! and found they actually HAVE these things IN STOCK! 8O

The card PN has been superceded to PN 0713028-8 "Placard" and costs about $8.

The card is COVERED by a plastic cover PN 0713028-3 (which is why my own card looks fairly original, being engraved acrylic.) :roll: The COVER is about $10.

Call Ron at Hill Aircraft 800-998-7832 and let him know I sent you...or order online at cessnaparts.com
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Bruce
The cessna card fits in the cardholder of my 53. Paul
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks Paul.

So George did you order one so I can duplicate it? Under the owner produced parts criteria of course. :wink:

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Thanks Paul.

So George did you order one so I can duplicate it? Under the owner produced parts criteria of course. :wink:
I don't need one. :twisted:
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Thanks Paul.

Wouldn't that be stealing? :twisted:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bruce Fenstermacher

John an interesting question. One on many levels. When I copy one of the other parts under the owner produced parts criteria am I steeling. Or in fact how about any number of manufacturers of PMA parts. I'm sure Cessna hasn't given permission to them to make the parts so is that steeling?

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:...how about any number of manufacturers of PMA parts. ...is that steeling?
Only if made of steel. If made of aluminum, it would be aluminizing. (Steel yourself, Bruce...or get a spel chequer.) :twisted:

John...if an aircraft owner makes his own placards....is that stealing or plagiarizing? (Or is he merely complying with Federal Regulations?

What if he replaces the fabric on his airplane?