FRAVEL STC tailwheel conversion

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

adkins

FRAVEL STC tailwheel conversion

Post by adkins »

I am considering putting the tailwheel on my C172 in its proper place. The Fravel STC seems to be about the only active one out there.
I am looking for anyone who has done this to get some input before I commit.

Thanks to Jimmy M, I have some important information. Anyone else?

Gene Adkins
Brooklyn, Iowa
minton

Re: FRAVEL STC tailwheel conversion

Post by minton »

BUSH STC is still active
53B

Post by 53B »

Hi,

I converted my 172 in 2006 using the Fravel STC. I would recommend it over the Bush STC as all of the parts are either Cessna made or locally fabricated. With the Fravel STC, you don't have to rely on the STC holder for any parts support. Support from either company is virtually non-existant.

Good sheetmetal skills are required for either STC. The biggest challenge in the Fravel conversion is the manufacture of the tailwheel spring attach bracket.

Good Luck,
Happy Flying,

Mark
1958 Cessna 172 N9153B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

minton wrote:BUSH STC is still active
Any of the "Bush" modifications from the Williams in Udall are difficult to recommend, IMO. Those folks are non-responsive and numerous comments from owners of their products tell of sending money and not receiving product.
A personal experience with a friend's C-206 with Bush STOL by them: He simply cannot get replacement parts from them after storm damage to his airplane. He will ultimately be forced to remove the entire STC completely*, including the non-damaged areas, because of the STC owner's refusal to respond to repeated requests.

*This will likely require him to purchase entire wings from another aircraft even tho' the wings were not the area of damage, because the modification included wing alterations, but his damage was limited to the engine compartment. Because he cannot get support from Williams, he must remove the engine-related mods, which invalidate the rest of the STC including the wings.

Moral: Think TWICE...before altering your airplane with STCs from some vendors.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
adkins

Post by adkins »

I have heard nothing but negative comments about the Bush conversion due to the failure to contact the STC holders or get a response from them.
I talked to the Del-air converstion STC holder, and he is not currently selling his STC.
I have heard of a Bolen conversion, but no one knows who holds the STC for that.

Gene
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

I might be incorrect but I thought that Stoots guy up in Alaska, (the same guy working on the engine stc) also has a stc to convert to a taildragger.

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
avoight

Post by avoight »

I did the Fravel on mine, and yes you don't have to worry about support, you are on your own. But Ronald Jr. does tell you that up front at least. The STC was put together by Ron Sr. Uses all Cessna parts in the gear boxes, unless you sub in the PPONK billet gear angles and reinforce kits. Recommend looking at the option of a field approval for installing from his original STC prior to (I believe '92)the revision which changed up the no longer manufactured (but still commonly available) Cessna 170 B or L-19 Tail spring bracket for a fairly hoakey home made job. A fellow out in North Dakota was doing it that way for a bit, and selling the aircraft after converting, can't recall his name. Dave Stoots is probably a great option as well. He has been working on his STC for some time and is close too,if not done for the C-172 and the C175. Many of the part #'s in the Fravel STC are out of manufacture. You have to comb salvage yards, old Univair or Hill's stock, and if you get desperate open the IPC for the same vintage C-180. They fit as well and are still currently available, most superseding some 170 #'s in the gear box area. Just my $0.02. PM me if you want more info. I would really like to find the Stinger style Tail spring detail Drawings for a C-170C. if anyone out there has one, or the real thing I could get a look at. The old Straight tails make an awesome Taildragger, with lots of rudder authority. Turn lots of heads and always brings on the question "what is it?" Happy flying.
Andy
'59 172 TD 220 Franklin mod, Horton STOL, ABI 26" mains, Baby Bushwheel TW and some other stuff...
mod cessna

Post by mod cessna »

Sell your 172 and trade up to a 170 with a 180 motor.