'98C Gets a New Interior

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

'98C Gets a New Interior

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Seems like a good time to start this thread. :wink:

From the April 2009 thread Headliner Bows?:
4583C wrote:Well guys, I've enjoyed all the suggestions and think I've found the winner. :D Roesbery's suggestion of antennas got me thinking about an old two way antenna thats been in the way in my shop for years. A little scrounging thru the junk corner in the fire hall turned up three more orphans. The stainless bends to the contour of the roof but doesn't seem to take a "set". A neighbor had some stainless welding rod but it was only 3 feet long and I don't have the equipment or skill to weld stainless and it didn't seem to be as springy as the antenna. The antenna are long enough without a splice. Miles, I bought the wool headliner from Spruce several years ago for I think $125, I remember it was half what Airtex was asking for a wool headliner and someone who's opinion I respect liked Spruce's product better than Airtex.
Paul, How did the stainless antenna wire work as headliner bows? I had thought of using my old bows, but they look kinda sad:
Rusty Headliner Bow.JPG
Are you happy with the Spruce headliner?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

Re: '98C Gets a New Interior

Here's a shot of the progress so far. 8O I'm pretty sure I'm going to do as George did and close off the upper rear fuselage area behind the hat shelf with an aluminum panel. Also, if any one is curious what holds up the headliner bows, you can enlarge the picture and look near the top to see the little tabs screwed into u-channels riveted to the roof.
Interior GONE.JPG
Miles

— Thomas Browne
minton

Post by minton »

A little oh by the way. Remove all of that old glue, it will promote corrosion.
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Miles
The antenna worked well, although the headliner is still in the package. Other things need to be finished before the headliner goes in!
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

cessna170bdriver wrote:Here's a shot of the progress so far. 8O I'm pretty sure I'm going to do as George did and close off the upper rear fuselage area behind the hat shelf with an aluminum panel. Also, if any one is curious what holds up the headliner bows, you can enlarge the picture and look near the top to see the little tabs screwed into u-channels riveted to the roof.
Interior GONE.JPG
Miles.....are you sure that isn't a picture of the inside of Bruce's plane.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
cessna170bdriver

minton wrote:A little oh by the way. Remove all of that old glue, it will promote corrosion.
Not trying to be a smart@$$, I just really want to know: If that were the case, why isn't it already corroded? It's been there at least 28 years, more likely 56. I understand the problem with the old fiberglass insulation holding dampness and causing a problem, but the glue?
Miles

— Thomas Browne
zenpilot

Post by zenpilot »

What product / technique is the best for removing the old glue? Any gotchas? Thanks, Karl
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

I use MEK with gloves and fresh air source. Very hazardous,must be why it works.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

I used MEK and a piece of .063 aluminum cut in the shape of 1" wide putty knife. The MEK takes a little bit to soften the glue but comes off clean and you must use eye protection. It also hurts on soft skin parts like wrists and arms. Works good though. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
canav8

Post by canav8 »

you beat me mike. Also wear a mask. Dont get it on anything else unless you want it eaten.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
cessna170bdriver

As a test I used MEK and Scotchbrite to strip Imron off of my door sill. Works pretty well. I use safety goggles and a respirator with organic filters.
Left Lower Fwd Door Sill.JPG
By the way, does anyone have a source for the little PK screws like the ones that hold the heater outlet trim in the above picture?
Miles

— Thomas Browne
falco

Post by falco »

does moisture on the glue really cause a corrosion problem? in places like Tehachepi? sure, I'd rather have it all cleaned and chromated, but is this a real issue if you keep your airplane dry most of the time? MEK is nasty.
cessna170bdriver

Not as much progress as I'd hoped this weekend, but moved forward. The first order of business was cleaning up some surface corrosion on the bulkhead behind the baggage compartment, which wasn't really evident until I had removed the fiberglass insulation.
Baggage Bulkhead Corrosion.jpg
I removed the fiberglass strands and glue with sctotchbrite maroon pads, MEK (yes, I wore a respirator and gloves, plus having the airplane and hangar open for ventilation) and a 2024-T3 aluminum "scraper" as suggested earlier. I then removed the corrosion with a combination of aluminum oxide sandpaper, fine-wire stainless steel brush, and scotchbrite. I thought about using Alumiprep 33, but I couldn't convince myself that I'd be able fully flush it out, as the bottom of this bulkhead is under the floor.
Bulkhead Corrosion Cleanup.jpg
To top it off, I wiped the bulkhead down with MEK, and sprayed with Sherwin-Williams 988 self-etching primer.
Rear Bulkhead Primed.jpg
I also got started on removing the old paint from around the door sills (MEK, scotchbrite, etc) but I still have a ways to go there. I also got my air compressor moved to the hangar and an outlet installed to run it. Karen is going to visit a local auto upholsterer this week to see what's available in the way of materials and colors for the upholstery. The guy with a Super Cub across the taxiway from me suggested I just leave it in it's current "bush" configuration, but the exterior is still too good to compete with Bruce for the Rat Plane category. :lol:
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

But Miles, there will never be a better time to start on the Ratty path. That primer would be a nice start. Think about it before it's to late.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Bruce,
How much will ya give me for the old upholstery? I'm still looking for some way to finance this project! :lol:
DSCN1598-50.jpg
Miles

— Thomas Browne