New 170a Owner

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Margot Flys

New 170a Owner

Post by Margot Flys »

Hi everyone...

I just bought a Cessna 170a and the previous owner told me that this place existed so I figured I would start by joining the forum and introducing myself.

My name is Margot I live on Kauai (small Island in Hawaii) and work at a cool R&D think tank like company.
I have always loved airplanes and started flying gliders in college and eventually got my glider pilots licenses. I flew a bunch of different types of gliders and my friend and I even built our own crazy ultralight wing in ground effect glider that we test flew ourselves and auto-towed...
After college I ended up with a job working on Kauai with no gliders but wanted to fly so I started taking flight lessons from a CFI with a Citabria. Due to his insurance I could not solo that airplane so I just took flight lessons and worked my way up to learning aerobatics too (which I LOVE) but still no way to get a licenses.
I realized in order to get my licenses I would either have to take lessons on another island or buy an airplane. I got word from a friend that a 170 was for sale (yes I know it is not aerobatic but that will be a later airplane :) ) ....
and ever since I started working I always knew I wanted to save the money for flying related stuff and eventually an airplane.... So I did some detailed research on how much it costs to maintain an airplane, spoke to some of my pilot friends for advice, spoke to the mechanic about the airplane, test flew it with my instructor... went back home and sat and thought a bit about it.
I always knew I would buy an airplane but did not think that I would be doing so at 25 years old so I was a little scared... but after thinking about it rationally for a bit I realized there was not much of a reason to be scared... I needed a small loan but nothing more than what many people my age decide to take out for cars that cost a lot more than my car... so I showed up at the bank to look into some loans, got the loan and went and bought the airplane!

I am having a lot of fun flying it.... practicing touch and goes with my instructor... ...having a blast flying it!
I love my airplane... I love that my airplane is a tail dragger, I love that my airplane has four seats (My boyfriend went up with my instructor and I once when I was practicing touch and goes and had a blast), and most of all I love that now I can say sentences that include the phrase "my airplane" in it! :D

Anyhow, glad that this group is here! Look forward to conversing with you all!

Thanks,
Margot and N5723C (AKA Athena) :wink:
canav8

Re: New 170a Owner

Post by canav8 »

Welcome Margot or is it Athena.
Got any pictures of the plane?
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As you have probably discovered just about everything you could want to know about your airplane has been discussed here and it will take you long time to read all of it. So it you can't find something you need or want to know and can't find it simply ask. And even if you do find it you are welcome to ask your guestion anyway as there are always different views on every subject that haven't been written yet.

Seems that at 25 you might be ahead of a lot of your piers because you know what you want and have seemed to have put yourself in the position of being able to get it. As you have noted being an airplane owner isn't out of reach for a lot of people young or old but you must have priorities. Another secret I think of successful aircraft ownership is to get as many friends in the airplane business(hobbie) as you can. I wouldn't be able to afford my 170 if it were not for favors friends have done for me and of course I return the favor when I can. You've made a very smart move in that direction finding and joining this forum. Perhaps in time you will recognized the value and join our association that supports this forum.

Welcome aboard from one aircraft owner to another. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Margot

Such excitement in your post...it is great to see! Congrats on the plane, if you fly it as muh as you love it, and love it as much as you fly it, you will have it a long time. I do hope you join the association for the price of dues you will get ten-fold back in information.....the bad jokes and the razzing are free. There a alot of wonderful people here that will help you out so don't be bashfull and jump right in.

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
fishdoc

Post by fishdoc »

Congratulations & welcome Margot! :D
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)
15A

Post by 15A »

Way to go girl!!! :D :D :D
I admire your determination! You are a true flyer. Knowing that you can not truly justify buying an airplane, you did anyhow :twisted:
Congratulations, welcome to 'the club', and many happy landings :wink:
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
Margot Flys

Post by Margot Flys »

Wow! Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome. :D This seems like a great group.
FYI:I have also just joined the association.
I am amazed at how much information appears to be here and I have only just started browsing the forum.

Canav8, Athena is what I named the airplane... and I do indeed have pictures. :)

Thanks again all for the advice and the wonderful welcome!

Happy flying,
-Margot

cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

Welcome Maegot,
Looks like your at Lihue.What a beautiful place to live and fly.I lived and worked there for a number of years ( late 80's, early 90's ) rebuilding the old Weinberg properties on Kuhio Hwy. in Lihue. I hope to be back down there next year, another remodel for a friends condo in Kapaa ( dang the luck ). I'll try to touch base when I do. In the mean time you can enjoy yourself and finish up your ticket. Watch out though for the state bird when flying around Mt. Waielleelle (sp?).
Congrats --- Scott --- 53B
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Welcome to the 170 world! 25 sounds like a good age to buy your first airplane. I bought my first at age 32. A few months later I flew it to OSH, where I met a guy who told me that his whole working life he'd planned to buy an airplane and learn to fly when he retired, and that's exactly what he did. But then he realized he could have done it years sooner and been flying the whole time. Anyway, if you wait until you're older you'll have too many other obligations to justify buying an airplane. This way, the airplane came first so it has higher priority! :D Just remember what my friend Pat used to say: You can live in your airplane but you can't fly your house.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I'm very imperessed with the interior of your "new" airplane. I'm not a fan of originaliy and much prefer updating to more modern stuff such as rudder pedals, circuit breakers, control wheels, instrument panel, etc. I think your interior looks great. I hope you get a great deal of enjoyment flying it. If you decide to fly it here to the contiguous forty eight, you will prbably need an auxilary fuel tank. Oakland, CA, is a pretty long haul. Very few fuel stopping places en route now that the "Boat" is gone.
BL
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Welcome Margot....and what a sweet looking aircraft you have!..Brad

W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Oh to be 25 again :) ....live in Hawaii :) ....meet a girl who flys and owns her own plane :D :D .........this just doesn't happen in the real world :wink: ........tell your boyfriend, he is on lucky guy 8)

:mrgreen:
W
p.s. I'm very happy for you, enjoy and welcome.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Margot Flys

Post by Margot Flys »

cmsusllc wrote:Welcome Maegot,
Looks like your at Lihue.What a beautiful place to live and fly.I lived and worked there for a number of years ( late 80's, early 90's ) rebuilding the old Weinberg properties on Kuhio Hwy. in Lihue. I hope to be back down there next year, another remodel for a friends condo in Kapaa ( dang the luck ). I'll try to touch base when I do. In the mean time you can enjoy yourself and finish up your ticket. Watch out though for the state bird when flying around Mt. Waielleelle (sp?).
Congrats --- Scott --- 53B
Yep, I am at Lihue and it is indeed a beautiful place to fly! Small world! So maybe I will see you next year... I the mean time I will watch out for the Nene.... :wink:
DaveF wrote: Just remember what my friend Pat used to say: You can live in your airplane but you can't fly your house.
That is a really cool saying! I love it... a lot of my friends kept telling me to buy a house instead; now I can properly explain to them why my choice makes more sense. :)
blueldr wrote:I'm very imperessed with the interior of your "new" airplane. I'm not a fan of originaliy and much prefer updating to more modern stuff such as rudder pedals, circuit breakers, control wheels, instrument panel, etc. I think your interior looks great. I hope you get a great deal of enjoyment flying it. If you decide to fly it here to the contiguous forty eight, you will prbably need an auxilary fuel tank. Oakland, CA, is a pretty long haul. Very few fuel stopping places en route now that the "Boat" is gone.
Thanks! I do get a great deal of enjoyment... Hmm... flying to the 48 states from Hawaii... (I suppose with an Aux tank and the engine from a 180 I could try and repeat Jerrie Mock's flight :wink: )

Thanks all for all the comments! :) ...even the ones that make me blush... :oops: :wink:
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

Margot,

I learned to fly in a 170 I purchased from my dad four years ago. It sounds like you are probably close to taking your check-ride if you have not done so already. It seems like everyone learns today in 152s, it is cool to see others are learning on taildraggers.

The 170 is a great all around plane that is a lot of fun to fly and as you have learned this forum is both useful and a lot of fun.

Welcome.
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Margot,I must say that I'm immensely impressed. In my experience, you are one of the VERY few lady pilots that had any knowledge at all of Geraldine (Jerrie) Mock and her remarkable accomplishment back in 1964. Congratulations.
BL