Removing exhaust deposits from cowling

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hilltop170

Removing exhaust deposits from cowling

Post by hilltop170 »

What do you guys use to remove exhaust stains and deposits? Even with extended stacks cut off parallel with the cowl, I'm still getting exhaust deposits on the cowling. There has to be something that will remove them without harming the paint.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Re: Removing exhaust deposits from cowling

Post by blueldr »

Try using a file, but be very,very careful.
BL
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

The new less corrosive "Green" Simple Green works fine - just follow it up with soem soap and water.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
robert.p.bowen

Post by robert.p.bowen »

Available from Aircraft Spruce, "Greze Off" does an exceptionally fine job. So does "Scrubbin Bubbles" but I'd follow it with water, altho I've never had any staining or corrosion issues and I've used it for 20+ years on painted fabric, fiberglas and metal. But Greze Off does such a good job I've switched to it.
Bob-
170C

Post by 170C »

Of course this isn't pertinent to your question Richard and I'm sure you will get some good suggestions that will work for you, but a solution I finally found, although not with keeping originality (but my plane left that behind many yrs ago), was the extended exhaust pipes (Bartone or Benham). However I am sure if you wanted to consider that option you would have done so while having Del do his magic on your plane.

PS: What is 50 miles west of Fredericksbury?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Post by 170C »

Excuse my lack of previewing my spelling :oops: I know its Fredericksburg :!: I need an automatic spell check on my posts :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There is a product called "Hydrosolve" that is made by JetStream. Very good for this sort of thing. I gave some of it away as a prize to a 195 pilot at Reklaw 7 years ago and he now swears by it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

I use Extreme Simple Green which was designed to be used on aluminum aircraft. Works great.
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Richard,
I know you are aware of the product Rejex, and have used it. Have you applied it to the cowling to see if the stains are more easily removed after each flight? Or, maybe it "cook" off to quick?
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

markeg1964 wrote:I use Extreme Simple Green which was designed to be used on aluminum aircraft. Works great.
Warning: The original Simple Green product which was used by the military became condemned by them as attacking aluminum. The Simple Green folks came up with a replacement product which claimed to be OK or "approved" for use on aircraft.
I ordered some to use as a test. It corroded my test-piece and stained my left aileron/flap where it was applied. (When I asked Del's folks how they kept my flaps identified left/right while they were off the airplane for re-skinning earlier this year, Mike specifically pointed to the Simple Green permanent stain as identifying my left flap.)
I complained to the Simple Green folks and was attacked by them for daring to publicly repeat the results of my test. The Simple Green representative even came onto the forums and got very defensive....even abusive, in my opinion.
I do not believe they are anyone from whom I would expect courteous treatment should you later find their product's corrosive effect on your airplane, and therefore I do not recommend Simple Green products on aluminum.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
170C

Post by 170C »

Richard, Joe Harris's solution to stains and oil on the belly was Scrubbing Bubbles. I adopted his suggestion and have been using SB every since when I need to clean my belly panels to remove oil. Works like a charm. Spray on some, let it sit for about 30-60 seconds & wipe off the stuff. Harder baked on may have to have a second coat, but after removing the oil then wipe away the slight haze & the paint shines like new. NOW, you weren't asking for a way to remove oil from your plane's belly, but give it a try on those exhaust stains and see if it doesn't do the job. If not, give it to Ina to use on the faucets as that is what it was designed for. Or maybe cleaning those fixtures is your job :roll: Either way its great stuff and I have not seen any problem with my paint from using it and I have done so now for at least 5 yrs. Good luck.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

gahorn wrote:
markeg1964 wrote:I use Extreme Simple Green which was designed to be used on aluminum aircraft. Works great.
I complained to the Simple Green folks and was attacked by them for daring to publicly repeat the results of my test. The Simple Green representative even came onto the forums and got very defensive....even abusive, in my opinion.
I do not believe they are anyone from whom I would expect courteous treatment should you later find their product's corrosive effect on your airplane, and therefore I do not recommend Simple Green products on aluminum.
I seem to remember it the other way around... I have used Simple Green for Aircraft and found it to be an excellent product. When the subject came up on the forum and I contacted them for more information I found their customer service to be excellent and very helpful in answering all of my questions....
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here's the link to the original thread, (including some of the exchange w/Ms Chapin of Simple Green) which can be read by those interested....or whenever a really slow-day comes around. :wink:

(Those of you with polished airplanes, as I said previously ...beware of using the stuff on the polished areas. It makes a permanent stain on bare aluminum.)

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... mple+green
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

170C wrote:PS: What is 50 miles west of Fredericksbury?
Frank-
Fredericksburg is 50 miles west of Spicewood/George's place. Somehow it got turned around. Thanks for the scrubbing bubbles tip but I think with the new paint I'm going to try to find an aircraft product that will do the job.

wingnut wrote:Richard,
I know you are aware of the product Rejex, and have used it. Have you applied it to the cowling to see if the stains are more easily removed after each flight? Or, maybe it "cook" off to quick?
Del-
I will definitely use Rejex once the cowl is clean (and hopefully with paint still intact). Rejex is specifically made to help keep exhaust stains from sticking to the paint but I did not apply it immediately after the plane was painted and by the time I got home, the cowl was already dirty with exhaust accumulations. Now I need to get the cowl clean before I apply the Rejex.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ex-Rat-Plane woes. What are you gonna use to keep the bugs and dust off, Richard?

Do you always try to find/leave a vacant tie-down space next to you on both sides? :lol: