WHOOO-HOOOOO! RAIN!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

WHOOO-HOOOOO! RAIN!

Post by GAHorn »

The SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!
click to ENLARGE
click to ENLARGE
inmSIRUS_.gif (10.47 KiB) Viewed 9393 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: WHOOO-HOOOOO! RAIN!

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I understand your excitement having had little to no rain in Texas but if you look up in the north east you will see we are once again being or soon to be rained on. D

I can not remember the last time in at least the last 20 years when we have had enough rain that our grass has stayed green and growing through July and August but it has this year. :cry:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

We've had rain within half a mile or less for the last week, but not more than a sprinkle at our place. Sigh. Less than an inch since June.
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hard to imagine. This last rain brought "4 to Atlantic City and "2 to Philadelphia. Don't know how much we got being 30 miles north of Philadelphia but it's been raining on and off since early Friday (it's Saturday morning). We've had overcast skys and cooler weather for the last 4 days waiting for it all to get here. Some sun would be nice but not as much as you all have seen in Texas.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I just returned from Clarion,PA last Thur's and saw/dodged wx all the way from a missed ILS approach at Pikeville, KY to an ILS flying a submarine at Bristol, TN yet when I got home Thu evening it was still like Ethiopia around here. We are sooooo happy to have two days of rainy wx here.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

In the Sulphur Springs Valley we are probably 4 or more inches of rain below normal. Sierra Vista has done better but still low, and we are just wrapping up the monsoon season. El Nino got the blame for disrupting monsoon but should give us heavy winter rains. That is until they just announced that El Nino came in early enough to disrupt monsoon but quit early also which means no winter rains to speak of either. :cry: At the end of monsoon we should be neck deep in grass but it is only starting to green up around here. :( Hard on the deer and wildlife, also I like the stroms.
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

4-Shipp wrote:We've had rain within half a mile or less for the last week, but not more than a sprinkle at our place. Sigh. Less than an inch since June.
I should have started b****ing about the lack of rain weeks ago. It started raining here this morning and we have gotten over 1.5" is a steady, slow rain over the last 7 hours. Looking at the radar there is no sign of it letting up for the next few hours :D :D :D :D :D
Bruce Shipp
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce, go out to your hangar and raise that door to about a 60-degree angle, pull out a lawn-chair beneath it, crack-open a cold one, and sit there with a good dog and think good thoughts while you watch the rain run off the lower edge of that door in front of your hangar.
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

George, Done that already. Kept it open while we worked out there today.

Up t0 2.15 inches as of 1030 pm and it is still raining!
Bruce Shipp
170C

Post by 170C »

We can always use some rain, but am really glad to see south TX is getting some. Hope you get as much or more than we are getting. From Friday night until 7:00 AM my rain gauge has received 6.8 inches & its still raining, albeit light now. It will be interesting to see what the official amount will be in the newspaper for Crowly. Sure looks good to see those ditches running full. :D :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Right here on the ridge it seems the rain goes around us. We haven't had rain in 4wks and it's getting dry. I looked at my cows last night and they are starting to grow "horns"(no pun intended) they think there in Texas :lol: :lol: :lol:

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Since Friday noon we have had 6 inches with hardly any running off. I don't think I've ever seen a 6 inch rain that didn't fill all the ponds. Hopefully tonight they will catch some water.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. The ground down here in Texas is ...THIRSTY! It's soakin' it right up! Worst drought since 1957. We're TWENTY inches behind schedule this year. Estimated $3.6 Billion in losses:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/ ... 1114.shtml
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

I am always amazed to fly around north Texas with a low sun and see all the hundreds of tanks that cover our landscape. They tell us that before a large lake can start to rise, first the ground has to become saturated so the rain will run off. Next, all these tanks must fill to the spillways/overflows. Then, what water that is not held in tanks and is not sucked up by the salt cedars can finally get to the lakes. I believe the number I heard for a single salt cedar is in the 50-90 gallons a day range. I'm sure someone will correct that if I recall it incorrectly. We wont see a big rise in the local lakes, but my hay field is happier than ever! I may salvage a fall cut. There wont be many bales, but it will sure be nice picking them up in late October instead of late August.
Bruce Shipp
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

4583C wrote:Since Friday noon we have had 6 inches with hardly any running off. I don't think I've ever seen a 6 inch rain that didn't fill all the ponds. Hopefully tonight they will catch some water.
GOOD ONYA PAUL........You guys really needed that. Maybe the drought is broken. Here on Monday morning I found 2 1/2 inches in my gauge - - and a six inchlong pine needle! Dont know how that sucker got in there :lol:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!