Compatible wing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

futr_alaskaflyer

Compatible wing

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

Are there Cessna 172 wings that are identical or compatible to those on my 1955 C-170b without a new basis of approval?
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
GAHorn

Re: Compatible wing

Post by GAHorn »

Certainly the 1956 model 172 should be, and perhaps the 1957-1959, although the fuel vent would have been relocated. Models which introduced electric fuel gauges would have issues, as would any that had re-routed flap cables or electric flaps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
futr_alaskaflyer

Thanks George. To make a long story short a small problem lead to an inspection of the interior of one wing. Corrosion is to the point of an airworthiness question. Ribs are mostly (but not all) salvageable with some elbow grease but the skins are mostly toast. Spar is OK. I'm now penciling out what makes the most sense from a financial perspective - reskinning and repainting to the tune of 8-10AMU or... :?:

One issue is my location and the logistics of finding a wing in decent condition* that can be reasonably transported to Fairbanks at a cost that will be substantially less than option A above.

* Yes I am aware that most wings of similar vintage might have similar issues, especially those with an Alaskan pedigree. Another point to consider, indeed. I could go crazy and find newer C175 wings and a friendly inspector :twisted:
Richard
N3477C
futr_alaskaflyer

OK, so here's the deal. I need some advice :| No used wings to be had.

The interior of my left wing shows some corrosion on the ribs and surface corrosion on all skins - some spots have probably moved into more of an intergranular corrosion of the skins (if I am using the right term?) I can't imagine but that all Cessnas of this vintage suffer from similar issues - some to a greater extent than others. I also imagine that don't ask, don't tell sometimes applies but we are beyond that now since it had to be opened up for another issue :twisted:

I feel that the corrosion to the ribs definitely needs to be addressed through a combination of cleaning or replacement. My dilemma is with the skins. Some time in the past someone in an apparent attempt to slow down the process sprayed primer directly on top of the corrosion. Based on the haphazard spray pattern I'm going to guess that they somehow rigged up some device to insert a nozzle up into the wing through various access hatches to do the work without actually removing and/or opening up the wing. So now I have a combination of skins displaying untreated corrosion (mostly around the nose ribs), and skins displaying corrosion which has been haphazardly primed but not treated first (the rest of the wing.)

I lost a couple of rivets adjacent to the left fuel tank a while back and my regular A&P removed the tank, cleaned up the area quite a bit and reassembled with no further problems in that spot. I haven't noticed any smoking or missing rivets anywhere else on the wing.

Now...it has been presented to me that the best and most reasonable course of action is to (after addressing the ribs) re-skin the entire wing. That is a bit of a capital outlay as you might imagine. Not one that I am completely closed to but...I'm curious about alternatives.
Richard
N3477C
mod cessna

Post by mod cessna »

172 wings are very similar. The very early model 56 wings are identical. I used 1969 172 wings. They did have electric sender tanks. They were removed and just replaced with my fuel tanks. The hole in the butt rib is all ready in place for your fuel gauge to stick through. The fuel vent hole had to be installed in the top tank skin.
Somewhere along the way Cessna installed a larger stiffener on the aft wing attach. This is good because the aft 170 spar is rather thin where the fuel tank nut plates attach and prone to cracking.
Flaps. All the pulleys are in the same spot. Just remove the electric flap system and install your manual flap bell-cranks.Thats all there is to that.
Stall warn. Some may have the suction horn rather then the switch.

Have you taken the wing apart yet? If you do you will most likely find heavy intergranular corrosion on the forward spar extruded angles.

There is a lurker on the site that has a set of 170b wings in Anchorage that are in great condition.
futr_alaskaflyer

To be clear the corrosion and interesting priming job I am talking about is on the inside of the skins. The outside of the wings are painted and with the exception of a couple of minor bubbles there was no evidence of anything until the wing was opened up for another repair issue.

As far as we can tell (with the wing removed from the aircraft and opened from the top) the spar is in surprisingly good condition. One thing in my favor.
Richard
N3477C
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

futr_alaskaflyer wrote:To be clear the corrosion and interesting priming job I am talking about is on the inside of the skins. The outside of the wings are painted and with the exception of a couple of minor bubbles there was no evidence of anything until the wing was opened up for another repair issue.

As far as we can tell (with the wing removed from the aircraft and opened from the top) the spar is in surprisingly good condition. One thing in my favor.
Richard.
Give Wiliams aeromotive a call (800)-235-9464 I'm sure that they can do something for you....If not only give you a rough idea of cost.....They are realy reputable.....Brad
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you decide to remove and ship for re-build....Williams is certainly a good shop. In fact, it is the shop who did my own wings and I am happy with their work.
However,..... if you ship you wings anywere...I'd suggest you also consider Del Lehmann, Mountain Airframe, Mena AR...who has the RIGHT JIG and I've personally witnessed his work and conscientiousness. When you get them back...they will be RIGHT. (Del has demonstrated his devotion to our group and is a MEMBER.)

http://www.mountainairframe.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N419A

Post by N419A »

Richard, have you tried Dee at Copper River Airmotive for wings/parts I just saw a ad in alaskalist dot com, about him getting his sixth 170b in for parts, and remember seeing he had a couple wings for sale. I had bid on a few at salvage auctions and I think he won the bids. Maybe worth a look. Good luck, Paul
53' 170B
180+HP IO360M1B (StootS conversion), 80" Hartzell, Sportsman Cuff, Super Drooper tips, V-Brace, Selkirk X baggage, AK Bushwheels all around.
futr_alaskaflyer

N419A wrote:Richard, have you tried Dee at Copper River Airmotive for wings/parts I just saw a ad in alaskalist dot com, about him getting his sixth 170b in for parts, and remember seeing he had a couple wings for sale. I had bid on a few at salvage auctions and I think he won the bids. Maybe worth a look. Good luck, Paul
Good lead, will call this afternoon. Wonder what the price point will be to beat a rebuild$, when you include renting/borrowing a trailer and the drive? We'll see. Thanks!
Richard
N3477C
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

gahorn wrote:If you decide to remove and ship for re-build....Williams is certainly a good shop. In fact, it is the shop who did my own wings and I am happy with their work.
However,..... if you ship you wings anywere...I'd suggest you also consider Del Lehmann, Mountain Airframe, Mena AR...who has the RIGHT JIG and I've personally witnessed his work and conscientiousness. When you get them back...they will be RIGHT. (Del has demonstrated his devotion to our group and is a MEMBER.)

http://www.mountainairframe.com/
George,
I don't know Del, Although, I believe him as one of the best.....and a member.....that should give Del accolades....I do personally know Paul and Ron. I brought a set of 195 leading skins to Paul....and in about 5 hours paul and I had new skins built....for what I thought as an unbelievable good price.....Paul said he was counting my time .....and wrote it off. I had to over size one rivet hole!!!!! I was really impressed!!!!.....Wiliams also have the RIGHT JIG.....They just developed it them selves.....Brad