Knik Glacier Camping last night

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jaime72

Knik Glacier Camping last night

Post by jaime72 »

Here are two photo's from last nights overnight trip to the Knik Glacier north of Anchorage Alaska. First real trip testing out the 31" AK Bushwheels. Nobody else out there. I paced 2000' of gravel/rock with whoops and small holes, though pretty much exactly half way through you have a pretty sizeable whoop. Wouldn't want to take it at more than 4-6 mph for the poor TW. So I guess you have 2-1000' runways lined up! Pretty nice.

I also threw in two youtube shots my wife caught in the camera without my knowledge! Disregard any audio commentary!

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?n ... D%26dm%3D2

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?n ... D%26dm%3D2

Cheers,

Jaime
GAHorn

Re: Knik Glacier Camping last night

Post by GAHorn »

Good Dog!

You can't do much better than have a good dog for company in the outback.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jaime72

Post by jaime72 »

Good dog you say?

Here is her next picture. She is dressed up not because we are freaky parents that dress their Paris Hilton designer lapdogs. No. Somebody rolled in the nastiest, skankiest, smelliest dead s%*t out there! After the cleaning we threw a shirt on her to keep the cabin safe.

Yes, good dog. Wouldn't have her or her sister any other way Image

J
N171Q

Post by N171Q »

nice pics! what'd you think of those 31's? i couldn't get your you tube link to work...
'56 C-172 180hp Tailwheel Converted
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I used to have a male black lab, EightBall, who taught me why cajuns like Ron and Ol'Gar are dangerous..... I had some (frozen) crawfish I'd planned to make etoufee out of so I thawed it ...then changed my mind and put it in EightBall's food bowl. He looked at me. He looked at the crawfish. He sniffed the crawfish. Then he laid his head on it sideways and tried to ROLL IN IT!

Jeeesh! Why do they DO that? (And by the way, don't ever eat crawfish that was caught in China, frozen, and shipped to US. Maybe that dog was trying to tell me something!)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zenpilot

Post by zenpilot »

Here's one of the links:
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoQJt5xzz2Y"

Well, maybe not a link, but cut and paste. Whatever, geeks....

Looks like the Picnic Strip at Knik...that middle swale "surprised" my wife one day last summer. Nice vid of Shrode Lake, too.

Karl
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

My wife & kids just came in here to look at your pictures. Spent a lot of time doing that. We'd land up on the Grasshopper Valley Strip and walk down to the glacier or the strip with the picnic table above the Gorge. We'd even pop over the woods, from Palmer, catch our fish on the popular little creek behind Butte (can't think of the name) and fly back home. Of course the Knik River Bed is where my instructor taught me to fly.
bpaige

Post by bpaige »

Would that be Jim Creek? The Knik valley and Lake George valley are a great playground. Lake George is especially nice. It is close but has the feel of remoteness because there is no access accept by air. I've seen moose, black bear, and goats at the same time in that valley.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Yep, it'd be Jim Creek - Remembered it on my motorcycle ride to the Hanger this morning. About 1/2 way to the glacier is a place to land, come in right over a creek (lined with trees). Easy strip to practice on, but we always enjoyed watching the Salmon spawning there. Flying up the Knik was always a quick place to show our outside visitor's the wildlife. Could always catch a black bear on a bench above Lake George. Don't forget the Dall Sheep above the Gorge.
N2868C

Post by N2868C »

Hey Jaime!

Great pictures! What is that hanging onto the front of the right strut in your first picture?
Also, we have similar N numbers. Mine is N2868C. But, operating exclusively in the lower 48, I have small tires.

Tom
1954 170B
PA11-90
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

N2868C wrote:....What is that hanging onto the front of the right strut in your first picture?
The propeller?
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
N2868C

Post by N2868C »

So it is!!
It was lined up so perfectly with the strut that it gave the illusion of something hanging on the strut. A second look verified your response. Please excuse my ignorance

Tom
1954 170B
PA11-90