3 point / full flap / forward CG landings

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AGB

3 point / full flap / forward CG landings

Post by AGB »

Hello all,
I am reading the book “Cessna Wings of the World”. There is a brief in the history of the development of the 170, I am sure most of you have already read it. It says that the stabilizer angle had to be changed because they ran out of elevator at 3 point / full flap landings. The other day I was landing in a grass field and since it was really dump, I did a 3 point /full flap landing for the lowest speed. During the flare something weird happened I hit hard even with full up elevator. At the time, I blamed the bad forward visibility due to the rain drops in the windshield (it was raining hard). Now, come to think of it, it might have been that I “run out” of elevator during the flare. I was alone and with very little fuel. In this condition the CG doesn’t seem to be out of the envelope, even though it’s the most forward it will go. Have anyone experienced something similar?

I am thinking to avoid 3 point / full flap / forward CG (alone in the cockpit).

Happy Landings,
Donovan
GAHorn

Re: 3 point / full flap / forward CG landings

Post by GAHorn »

I have found that landing when lightly loaded , the aircraft is much nicer to handle with 30 degrees flaps rather than full/40 flaps. When heavily loaded, full flaps are wonderful.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)