yoke freeplay

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: yoke freeplay

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Aryana wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:Evidently, things have changed. :wink:
Miles, just to verify did you purchase McMaster's p/n 6443K46? I'm liking the fact that it's drilled and once someone answers your question I'm GITTIN ME SUM NU JOYNTS!!!
No, I bought the one in the picture, from McFarlane. Holes already located and drilled, ready to go, new bolts included. This IS a primary control, and I just couldn't get myself to go with the un-pedigreed part. To each his own...

As far as the question, it's been a day and a half and no one has piped up, so I'm going with "it doesn't matter" since the old partd doesn't have the hole.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I would say it doesn't matter because the holes are already drilled in both the universal and the shaft your inserting. What are you going to do if when installed the shaft doesn't show in the witness hole? I hope the holes in your shaft and sprocket are drilled straight and centered.
cessna170bdriver wrote:This IS a primary control, and I just couldn't get myself to go with the un-pedigreed part.
So Miles that begs the question. What genuine Cessna parts (or PMA'd copies) are you using on the important primary flight controls of your Harmon Rocket? Or have you just settled for MS or AN parts? :evil:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
minton

Post by minton »

Brad Brady wrote:I use Mcmaster Carr and Granger (along with craftsman...their U-joints are unbelievable) for many parts in the Experimental aircraft I Build. But I work on the assumption that they are experimental. I would never use them in a certified aircraft. (just my opinion) The proper parts and part numbers are the only things to be used in our aircraft........Brad
Don't waste your money on this one. They are dementionally different than Cessna or McFarland. (Not long enough)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

$245.00 for one of these unsealed Cessna u-joints ?

Or less than $100 for one of these MS20271 sealed units?

I know what I'd do....http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... joints.php
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:What are you going to do if when installed the shaft doesn't show in the witness hole?
The shaft DOES show up in the witness hole. (My AI says the witness hole is there because of a Piper AD correcting a situation where some sprocket shafts had holes drilled too close to the end and were cracking out. Cessnas didn't have that problem, so it doesn't really matter for us.)
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I hope the holes in your shaft and sprocket are drilled straight and centered.
The holes are in EXACTLYthe right place. The bolts are tap fit in the holes. NO play there. I'm not equipped either skill- or machinery-wise to locate and drill (and cad plate) holes to those tolerances.
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:So Miles that begs the question. What genuine Cessna parts (or PMA'd copies) are you using on the important primary flight controls of your Harmon Rocket? Or have you just settled for MS or AN parts? :evil:
I'm using the ones specified by the designer. :wink: Bruce, with the angry face there, you'd think I was spending your money on this project...
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

cessna170bdriver wrote: Bruce, with the angry face there, you'd think I was spending your money on this project...
No, I was just playing the devil (for fun :) )
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote: Bruce, with the angry face there, you'd think I was spending your money on this project...
No, I was just playing the devil (for fun :) )
So you intended :twisted: ... I was hoping that was the case.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
minton

Post by minton »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:What are you going to do if when installed the shaft doesn't show in the witness hole?
The shaft DOES show up in the witness hole. (My AI says the witness hole is there because of a Piper AD correcting a situation where some sprocket shafts had holes drilled too close to the end and were cracking out. Cessnas didn't have that problem, so it doesn't really matter for us.)
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I hope the holes in your shaft and sprocket are drilled straight and centered.
The holes are in EXACTLYthe right place. The bolts are tap fit in the holes. NO play there. I'm not equipped either skill- or machinery-wise to locate and drill (and cad plate) holes to those tolerances.
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:So Miles that begs the question. What genuine Cessna parts (or PMA'd copies) are you using on the important primary flight controls of your Harmon Rocket? Or have you just settled for MS or AN parts? :evil:
I'm using the ones specified by the designer. :wink: Bruce, with the angry face there, you'd think I was spending your money on this project...
My two cents are: Why not buy a pma'd part and have spent your money wisely that has the proper holes and be done with it? One slip with a drill or mill and you've ruined that (Cheeper) part as you have said.