Split topic (Hangar/ Engine Oil) about Fly-in Destinations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

John, there's at least one other guy up your way with a 170A model. He works at the Washington Center and twice now when I've flown up he asked me about my 170 and said he had a 170A someplace in VA. I'm sorry I didn't recognize or remember the name of the airport.
Rudy
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hey John

There is a few of us up here north of Philadelphia that fly 2 170s every weekend somewhere. Getting down your way is a little far but maybe we can meet at Kentmore MD or York Pa, when it gets a bit wormer. Both would be about an hour for us.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

wa4jr,
It's not that the Southernors have airworthy 170's, it's that THOSE 170's HAVE SOUTHERN PILOTS. I've just picked up and headed back home after 17yrs, so my children could learn Southern Living before they got too grown. My kids just can't get over how friendly and social EVERYONE is! All the fly-ins are just a part of what's commonly referred to as "SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY" :wink: Got to be raised on Grits, Blackeyed Peas, Collered Greens, Catfish, etc., though. It's in the eatin what causes one to appreciate life. And what's up with that Yankee Dressing at Thanksgiving? Got to have Corn Bread Dressing! :P :lol:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

The BEST turkey I've ever ate was this past Thanksgiving at one of our members house. The turkey was sooooo good that I still think about it almost daily. Not only can Wayne cook a fantastic turkey, he is an excellent pilot! I believe he grew up in Idaho, so he transplanted very well! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

And what's wrong with Yankee stuffing??? After all, this is where it all started! :D Two things are vital for Thanksgiving... A good dark beer (porter or stout) with which to baste the turkey and a traditional bread stuffing. I'm talking made from scratch, none of this Stove Top stuff that looks like it was served with an ice cream scoop. Corn bread stuffing??? What's up with that?

Standing by for incoming.... (would prefer turkey, pie, etc. :lol: )
Doug
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

DRESSING ! Sweet Corn bread dressing! It's WAY to good to be stuffed inside a Turkey! Mammaw makes enough so we can come in and eat it for days by itself. Oh, I can taste it right now! We have changed our Turkey cookin over the years, though. We're now Deep Fry'in Cajun Style! Tell em Gar :)
I had to come back and EDIT this to ADD - Fried Okra!
Last edited by David Laseter on Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sweet cornbread dressing? Real cornbread does not have sugar in it! When you put sugar in it, it's called cake! :lol:
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

George, you're probably influenced being that close to the border. Do you find Jalapeno Peppers in your corn bread? I call for a Turkey-n-Dressing Fly-in. Maybe July 11 or 12th everone could come up to Russellville, Ark for some Cornbread Dressing. We also have some great eating places close to the airport - Buffets. Get a good nights sleep in a local fine Hotel, that is if I havn't bought a mansion yet - working on it :wink: , and fly over to the NC Convention together. Course George, we'd do the gentlemannly thing and give the A's some lead time for obvious reasons! Exceptin if they have green painted speed streeks :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

No, jalapeno's in my cornbread! I eat them seperately,...chilled and crunchy! :twisted:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

David Laseter wrote:George, you're probably influenced being that close to the border. Do you find Jalapeno Peppers in your corn bread? I call for a Turkey-n-Dressing Fly-in. Maybe July 11 or 12th everone could come up to Russellville, Ark for some Cornbread Dressing. We also have some great eating places close to the airport - Buffets. Get a good nights sleep in a local fine Hotel, that is if I havn't bought a mansion yet - working on it :wink: , and fly over to the NC Convention together. Course George, we'd do the gentlemannly thing and give the A's some lead time for obvious reasons! Exceptin if they have green painted speed streeks :lol:
You give me and the other Southern Flyers I know any lead time at the kitchen table, there won't be anything left for anybody! :) An engineer, whose parents immigrated here from Greese, from the North Indiana corporate office was in our Wichita Falls plant when he saw a long time Texan eating out of a huge jar he kept at his desk. Royce asked him if he wanted one, and the engineer took one and popped about half into his mouth. He had at least 3 feet of air between his shoes and the floor with what looked like smoke coming out of both ears when he shouted "damn, that's the hottest pickel I've ever ate! :? " The word pickle had a very strong Greese accent. As he disappeared thru the door we looked at each other knowing he had never seen a jalepeno pepper before.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

My wife was stationed in Kingsville, TX and when she first got there she was offered a little pepper that grows around there. I think it was almost like a berry and changed colors with its ripeness. Her first time trying one she thought she was going to have a heart attack. Over time, she developed a taste for the little devils and ever since then a jalapeno was kinda like eating a pickle for her. She still has a little stash of these little peppers that are grated up and put on her pizza--but she won't share!
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Well perhaps I've just have not been at the right place at the right time. I did, however finally see my first 170 here in VA other than mine at Warrenton Airport (W66). A nice '52 just sitting outside on tiedown. Guess he can't find a hangar around here either! Yes, I have heard about Kent....and also Tangier Island. Both are on my list for a family outing this spring. Will be down the next couple of months for an avionics install and then annual. Not looking forward to doing the under panel work on the avionics out in the cold...but no worse than frontline combat MX work...at least no one is shooting! AHHHH life without a hangar! I'll be thinking of that good Southern Food! Hope they have some at the convention?! I guess I straddle the fence here. Would love the fried turkey and REALLY love Cajun Catfish....but I never liked my Mom's dressing. Finally found out why. Although I love all types of cornbread including the good "hotwater griddle" type...I can't stand the dressing. Was not until I had a thanksgiving turkey up on Cape Cod that I found dressing that I like....some type of bread dressing....although I usually just leave the dressing and dig in on the turkey. OK...time for lunch!
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Aha! Now that's what I'm talkin' about. A good traditional Yankee bread stuffing. Nice to hear its appreciated in the land of corn bread. :D

If anyone ever makes their way to New England around holiday time drop me a line and we'll go get you some :D
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I like it all! But with all this talk abut food,what ever happened to all the cookies everyone was gonna send to me,instead of deleting?

Eric
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Flew up to Petit Jean (501)727-5441 (Park) yesterday. It's a huge paved runway. Morrilton Aviation (800-344-5907) (501-354-6634) is located on the North end. They do interiors and maintenance and have 100LL for $2.10 / gal (3/8/2003).. There are 5 camping spots off the runway. I didn't look at them this time, but the lady at the Shop told me they had showers and other things that sounded nice. There is a lot more camping nearby in Petit Jean State Park. The Airport has a Suburban for Pilots convienance or they'll shuttle you for free. Pilots fly in and travel about 5 miles to the Mather Lodge Restaurant. Lodge rooms at the Cedar Falls Motel (501) 727-5636, are $45/night single, $48/double. Of course the big deal about Petit Jean is the World Famous Antique Car Museum, closer to the airport, open daily. In June there is a week long antique car show. I'll take the family back up in the car and spend a day taking note.