garmin 196 mounting bracket

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

trake

garmin 196 mounting bracket

Post by trake »

I bought a friction [beanbag] mount for the glareshield of my 170. It came without the bracket? that holds the 196 to the mount. I think its included in the automotive accessory kit, but I dont want to buy the whole package. Where can I get this piece separately? thanks
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
GAHorn

Re: garmin 196 mounting bracket

Post by GAHorn »

That beanbag is the worst accessory Garmin sells. I threw it away.

I mount my 196 using the mount which came with it, and which consists of a "plate" or "dashboard mount" that velcro's to the top of the dash. The "dashboard mount" accepts the actual mount that holds the unit, and allows the unit to tilt, swivel, etc..
I used very heavy/industrial velcro rather than that supplied. (They will supply an oval-shaped adhesive disc to place between the dashboard mount and the dash, but I wanted to be able to cleanly remove/install it at will, so I used instead the heavy velcro. It's been perfectly satisfactory now for about 5 years. I also purchased a spare cigar-lighter power supply cable, and cut the cigar plug off and hard-wired it to my nav circuit breaker. The cable lays inside the finger-grip on top of the dash, and drops thru a hole drilled in the bottom of the grip area, thru a rubber grommet on it's way to the circuit breaker. Now the unit gets power thru my radio master, and if the electricity quits, it automatically reverts to internal batteries.)
Garmin will sell you any/all accy's. What you want is PN 010-10485-00 which sells for $35.

Click on Accessories:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID ... 208#Mounts
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)