Anyone tinkering with HHO Fuel?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Anyone tinkering with HHO Fuel?

Post by AR Dave »

My neighbor drove his truck over to the house and showed me his latest modification. He has a fruit jar filled with H2O, two springs (electrodes), wired to his battery, and an effluent hose routed to the intake on the breather. This supplies HHO Gas to engine.

So I've been looking into this. It's supposed to clean the engine up as well as double your mileage 8O . Wonder if HHO would clean the carbon off 0-300 valves. Maybe double the flying range. We could fly 4hrs on 14 gals thus starting off with 100 lbs less fuel weight. Had to go there! 8)

Here's another version -
http://hydrogengenerator.cn/
jrenwick

Re: Anyone tinkering with HHO Fuel?

Post by jrenwick »

Dave, you can keep the HHO, but I'd like to know what you've been smoking! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I understand this right, you burn gasoline to make electricity that breaks water down into hydrogen and oxygen, and you feed that back into the gas engine and burn it to make more power and "HHO."

The best electrolysis techniques we have are only about 50% efficient, which means you would get less than 1/2 the amount of energy in hydrogen/oxygen that was present in the gasoline you used to make the electricity for the electrolysis.

Now, if you add HHO to MMO, what do you get? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

WD-40?
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Dave,
I have no first hand experience on this, but a fellow that works for me here has been studying this for several months. He built the "Hydrogen Generator" from a new dry cell battery, and configured similarly as you described. This was on a large Ford van. He went from 11mpg to 14 mpg. The computer compensates and adjust the air/fuel mixture to some degree.
In his search, he learned of a fellow over in Mt Ida that is now installing these systems as a part time business. I spoke to the guy about this last week. He has modified over 90 vehicles now, and is having his best results with the GM throttle bodies 1987-1995, especially on light trucks and suv's. He claims that he is getting 50%-70% increase on these particular models. He has taken the modification a few steps further though. He installs an adjustable reostat at the MAP sensor to adjust air/fuel ratio and somehow modifies the O2 sensor, and a couple other things.
I'm always skeptical when I hear stuff like this, but I'm going to be one of the suckers. He charges $250 turn key. I have a 95 suburban (high mileage) for a guinea pig. Heck, it cost $150 to fill it up once. I'll let you know the results, or lack of, after I've recovered from the shock of either better mileage or cleaning off the vaseline.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

My uncle has been experimenting with a similar system. He has been running it on his light truck and has seen a 5-10 mpg increase. He just installed a second unit on his wife's car but I have not heard if it is helping. I have not spoken with him for about a month or so. I'll check with him and post a reply if he has any new information.
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Well the Russellville Quick Lube is selling the Fruit Jar Kit for $50.
But it sounds like the Mt Ida fellar might have the best modification.
I'd love to get my GMC Truck up from 11 to 14 mpg.
It'll be two weeks before I can get home and be a sucker myself.
Thanks!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Boy I sure hope the oil companys don't hear about this. They'll suppress it in a heartbeat. Just look at what happened to the 400 MPG carburetor.

(If it sounds too good to be true, in all probability it is.)
BL
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

OK, I'm a skeptic, but I'm an open-minded one. I'll wait and hear what people's experiences are with this. Maybe I'll learn something! :D :D
170C

Post by 170C »

Now Dave, are you sure that it isn't "HO, HO, HO" instead of HHO :roll: I know they make a lot of good stuff that comes in a fruit jar up in those Arkansas Hills, but I didn't know they ran much of it in vehicles except to "run" it past the revenuers :P Seriously, wouldn't it be neat if this turns out to be a legitimate deal. I'd hate to see the effort needed to get it past the FAA for our planes though:)
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

jrenwick wrote:Dave, you can keep the HHO, but I'd like to know what you've been smoking! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, if you add HHO to MMO, what do you get? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
HAYYALL IMA GONNA BUY UP ALL THE WD40 AND VASLINE I KIN FINE AN SEL IT TWICE THU PRICE TU OLE DEL AN ARDAVE! U GUYS FRUM ARKANSAW NEED TO MEMBER THE SAYIN "I WUZ BORN IN ARKANSAW BUT IT WARNT YESTIDY. WUN TIME AN OLE ARKY HILBILLY GOTS STOP BY STATE POLICE. TROOPER WHEN HE WALK UP, AXED " GOT ANY I.D." HILBILLY SAYS "BOUT WHAT?" :roll:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

blueldr wrote:Boy I sure hope the oil companys don't hear about this.
blueldr - Reckon what California will do when they realize tax revenues off Gasoline have been cut 50-70%.
Let's see - currently your tax is .68 cents per gallon ............ :mrgreen:
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

My personal solution to improve my fuel mileage has been exceptionally successful. I've managed to improve my ground travel mileage from 18mpg in my Ford Explorer to 70mpg on my 200cc Vespa Motor Scooter. Of course, I have to hit the gas station about every two days, but I only have to buy two gallons.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Is HHO the same as H2O, as in water? If so, converting water into Hydrogen (fuel) and Oxygen (oxidizer) is a known process but as was stated before uses more energy than it produces, like ethanol. You can't get something for nothing.

If the process ever gets perfected to where it is economical and portable for stand-alone use in vehicles we won't ever again be worried about the price of oil, they'll just about be giving it away.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

If it can really be shown that using current from the battery to produce 2(H2) + O2 and feeding that into the intake manifold increases gas mileage, then maybe it's because somehow we're getting electricity from the vehicle's generator at little or no cost. By that I mean maybe it turns out that the amount of extra gasoline needed to turn the generator is about the same whether the battery is taking a charge or not. If that were the case, I could see this contributing to gas mileage.

I wish I knew how many watts it takes to produce how much H2 and O2 by electrolysis. That might give me some idea of whether this is snake oil or not.

On a similar note, my Toyota goes from 32MPG to 35 if I turn the AC off. Not as great a saving as going from 11MPG to 14, but at today's prices it's like paying 35 cents or so less per gallon.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

OK, here's what I was looking for: from http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm, 1 horsepower is equal to 746 watts. If electrolysis is 50% efficient, then the output of a 100-amp alternator might be able to produce on the order of one horsepower in 2(H2) + O2.

Supposing it takes 50HP or so to move a truck along at highway speeds at 11MPG (about 5-1/2 GPH at 60MPH -- that's a total guess, but it sounds like it's in the ballpark). Then if burning 2(H2) + O2 delivers added power with 100% efficiency, it might increase gas mileage by 2% or so -- not the 30% or so that we're talking about with an improvement from 11MPG to 14.

So, what's wrong with my numbers?