Cessna 170 Video

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AGB

Cessna 170 Video

Post by AGB »

Hello All,
I put together a little home video of my Cessna 170. For those of you interested, it is on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eBbVsSBnvA

Or go to YouTube and search 'Cessna 170 PT AGB'.

Just so you know: AGB had a square tail, but it is now back to the original. It looks much nicer with the round tail!

Enjoy,
Donovan
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Nice job on the video! Looked like everyone had fun making it.

Paul
Paul
N3458D
AGB

Post by AGB »

Thanks Paul, it was fun!

Perhaps some translations are in order.

‘Olha a concentração’ means ‘look at the concentration’. We all know that when the tail comes down the fun begins.

‘O outro 170’ means ‘The other 170’ which is the Embraer 170. Even though I work at Embraer I always say that I have the best 170.

‘ Vuemo e nao quebremo, comemoremo’ means ‘flown didn’t break anything, celebrate’

‘Obrigado a todos que fizeram desse sonho realidade’ means ‘Thanks to all that made this dream a reality’. I am really fortunate to be able to live this dream, and I am very thankful.

The others are the locations: São Jose dos Campos where Embraer plant is located, Angra which is a really beautiful place by the cost, and Ipuã that is a fly-in community were I keep the plane.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Donovan-
Tell us the story of the evolution of the tail feathers on your plane.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
N4064V

Post by N4064V »

Donovan,
Wow! What a beauty! Your plane looks great too. Your video is well made and I can tell you love your 170. Your flying over some great scenery. Thanks for sharing your video.
Mick Capouch
N4064V
AGB

Post by AGB »

Richard,
The story of the squared tail goes more or less like this:
80’s my friend bought the plane from a towing banner company in Rio. It had a square tail, the owner apparently said he modified the tail in order to ‘have more control and tow larger banners’. I am not sure this was the real reason. Anyway the aircraft sat in a hanger until late 90’ when he started putting the plane back together so his wife would have a plane to fly. This is when started owning a share of the plane (without even knowing that 170 had round tails). Last year he decided to sell his share and so I bought it, and the first thing I did was to revert to the round tail. And I am glad I did since there were some ugly things back there. Now on a wheel landing I have much more control, I guess because the round rudder has a bigger chord. Another thing is that that squared tail was about 10 Lb heavier, which was really messing with the CG.

Thanks for the compliments on the video, makes me glad I shared here.
Donovan
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Boy! It sure looks like the Brazillian Fuzz (equalivant of thr FAA) operates a pretty loose rein. Can you immagine what the local FSDO would do if they found a C-170 with a square tail.
Reminds me of a guy named Bob Dentice in southern california that grafted a C-175 tail on a C-170 and actually got it approved, after a long and very trying period.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Donovan-
Thanks for sharing the history on your plane, glad to hear it is back to "normal". It was not clear in the video what configuration it is in now. I can't imagine having anything but the original design on the tail. It sure looks better.

The video is great, thanks for sharing it with us.

What part of the world is your plane based? Is flying there regulated very much or are you able to fly when and to where you choose?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Donovan, Nice video. How about submitting some hi-res digital pics for the 2009 calendar? send me an email or pm if you want.
Doug
AGB

Post by AGB »

Hilltop,
I live in São Jose dos Campos, Brazil, (airport code SBSJ) which is about 50 miles from São Paulo City (12 million people). Flying here varies greatly, if you fly close to a big city then you have approach, control areas, towers, so you have to act accordingly. But if you are in the other 90% of the country, you would feel lonely compared to the US, with very few people flying and not much controlled airspace.

Doug,
I could not submit a square tail photo, but now with the beautiful round tail I sure will (as soon as I get a decent one).

Donovan
KMac

Post by KMac »

Thank you for posting your video! The area you are flying in is exceptionaly beautiful :D . The video also really captures the spirit and fun of flying these cool old birds!
Kevin
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

Donovan,

Great video, that is a cleaning looking A.

Anybody else thinking about posting your videos, I recommend another video site called "Vimeo."

It's designed for hosting high definition content (but you can upload regular video also) and doesn't down-sample your video nearly as bad as Youtube. I wrote a whole blurb on BCP about this. I'm not affiliated with Vimeo in any way, I just think it's better for hosting your videos.

Here is a video I made of flying my 170 around southern Oregon. It was shot at 640x480 resolution with the video mode on a Canon Powershot still camera. Please forgive my botched rollout...I still have some difficulty holding centerline if I 3-point in hard.

Vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/348288

and the compartively poor quality downsampling that Youtube does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q2-GxhIMr4
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Nice video, tripslip38! What did you use to edit it?
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

jrenwick wrote:Nice video, tripslip38! What did you use to edit it?
iMovie, it's free with any Mac.

If you're on Windows, you can use of course Windows Movie Maker, or there are other free, open source alternatives that I found, but I can't vouch for them since I have no Windows machines to test them on:

http://www.jahshaka.org/

http://www.virtualdub.org

There may be more, but you get what you pay for. :)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Thanks! I'll try 'em.

John