170 as a Trainer

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Missionbound

170 as a Trainer

Post by Missionbound »

Wanting some opinions on a 170 as a trainer. Would it be too risky to train pilots in a 170 with the risk of a nose over etc? I know the cub and champ are the most popular tailldrager trainers. Any pros to training from 0 hours in a 170? Just wondering because no matter what plane I purchase I would like to be able to instruct in that plane to students with 0 time. Pros? Cons? what are your thoughts.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

While the 170 exhibits habits that are well 170, there are no bad habits I can think off. It is an excellent trainer. I would not hesitate to use one if I was inclined to train students from scratch. What do you think the did BEFORE they made the mistake of adding a nose wheel creating the 172. Probably thousands have learned to fly on 170s:D

On the other hand the Cub exhibits habits that are well Cub, there are no bad habits I can think off. It is an excellent trainer. I would not hesitate to use one if I was inclined to train students from scratch. What do you think they did BEFORE they made the mistake of adding a nose wheel and cutting the wings down. creating the Tri Pacer We know thousands learned to fly Cubs.:D

Of course the Champ exhibits habits that are well Champ, there are no bad habits I can think off. It is an excellent trainer. I would not hesitate to use one if I was inclined to train students from scratch. What do you think the did BEFORE they made the mistake of adding a nose wheel. Yes they made the mistake of adding a nose wheel but I can't say I've ever saw one flying thats how popular they were. I'm sure thousands have learned to fly in a Champ.:D

Notice a common thread. They're all good but they're not the same. One consideration and big difference between them is how much weight each can lift legally. You should not have a problem with you and a student in a 170. I can't say that will be the case is a J-3 Cub or a Champ. Piper PA 12s and 18s won't be as restrictive in the W&B area

BTW you might want to check how much insurance will be to instruct in your 170. Last time I checked it was over $5000 a year for me in my 170. One of the biggest reasons I don't instruct in either my 170 or my Cub. I did have one student I taught from scratch in his Champ with his insurance.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

It ain't only the tri-pacer that should be referred to as a "milk stool".

Miles

http://www.russellw.com/photoalbum/phot ... ri%2DChamp

c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

That aircraft is some ugly.
I learned to fly a tailwheel in a Cessna 140. It was like being tied on to the back of a butterfly. Going from the 140 to the 170 was all joy.
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Well, those are the best looking tri-Champ's I've seen. We used to have one at our airport, and it seemed like it was dragging it's tail half the time. It seems like the main gear should have been further back.

Someone said some time ago that it must be harder to learn to fly taildraggers these days. Back in the old days it took eight hours to solo one, now it takes 10-12 hours to transition to one if you've been flying a tri-gear. 8)
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

I recently purchased a DVD with 1950s flying “propaganda” films and one of the shorts was the “Flying Businessman (1953).” The film touts the advantages of aircraft to the 1950 businessman. About five minutes of the film shows a student pilot receiving his instruction from start to finish in a brand new 170B. After getting his license, the student rushes out and purchases a Tri-pacer. 8O

By the way, I looked up the N-number (N4627C) of the 170 in the video and it is registered a pilot in Michigan. If anyone knows Mr Walle Edwards, Jr you might let him know the film has some cool shots of his plane – maybe he already has a copy.

Anyway, I recently passed my check-ride and all of my instruction was on a 170. My instructor instructs on many tailwheel aircraft (all pilot owned or rentals – they rent Cub’s at my airport) and he thought the 170 was the easiest to fly well. He thinks it is a little easier to learn with a stick but he still preferred my 170 to the Cubs, Maules, and other aircraft.
BenWlson

Post by BenWlson »

http://www.archive.org/details/FlyingBu1953

Found that video you were talking about on the internet.
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

"it must be harder to learn to fly taildraggers these days"

Nah, it's just that back in those days, only Supermen flew airplanes, I tell ya!

In fact one day i was preflighting my 170 and a nose-dragger pilot came over and was talking about how hard it must be to fly a taildragger. I said, jokingly: "yup, you pretty much have to be superman to fly one of these!"

He went away in a huff, I guess he didn't appreciate my sense of humor.
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

"Found that video you were talking about on the internet"

I had to watch the first part of that a few times, there was something just not right about it.... and then it occured to me: the gate agent was SMILING!
N5740C 1950 'A' Model