The 170 as a primary trainer.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Rudy Mantel

170 as primary trainer

Post by Rudy Mantel »

I had a Comercial license and CFI before ever flying a trike.
If a student learns in a 170 off a grass field with a good instructor she'll be way ahead of the game- all these ground loop accidents started after folks were learning in airplanes with training wheels-
fwiw
Rudy
3958v

Post by 3958v »

I did most of my primary training in my 170 without any problems Most of my initial work was on the grass and with well qualified instructors. The insurance was about $ 1300 a year 7 years ago. My vote would be to use a 170 for primary training but to use grass and take plenty of time with a qualified instructor before solo. bill
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I did most of my primary training and took my checkride last year in a 170A based at AWO. Pro Aire has a couple of good tailwheel instuctors, but the 170 is now down for an overhaul and I don't know if they will use it for instruction after it is finished.

Wheel landings on the pavement can be a little exciting and take some practice. Other than that I didn't have any problems during training and I found the 170 to be very well behaved.

I bought a 172 this spring and I am now working on my instrument rating, but I really miss flying the 170.
jmarken

Post by jmarken »

I might have to disagree with some above that said a student is more likely to bend it. Insurance companies go purely by statistics, and insurance for a 170 for a student pilot is cheaper than for a private pilot. A friend of mine soloed in an L-16 Champ about four years ago, then bought a 170 and got his private in it. His insurance went UP when he got the private. The statistics show that students are a little safer than us other folks. It's probably because they are under strict supervision of an instructor, and maybe because they don't get a chance to learn bad habits starting out in a taildragger. And oh yeah, it doesn't take any longer to so it in a taildragger. My friend soloed at 10 hours, and got his private in minimum time. He was an adult with no prior experience. Some people say it's harder for a nosewheel pilot to convert to a taildragger than for a student to solo. Again, those bad habits....
Jeff Marken
susang777

Post by susang777 »

Still catching up on lost time, so I'm sorry to add to this so many months later. (My dad got prostate cancer last year, and it took basically all year to get him treated successfully and mostly recovered. Then it took me a while to catch up on life, and re-start my business, which I'm still doing.)

As y'all may remember, I'm a student pilot on our 170B. I did suspend training after just barely starting out last year (11 hrs, but really more like 4), due to my dad being ill, and John needing the airplane and the instructor more than I did. John got his pilot's license on January 11 of this year despite a stiff crosswind, and passed the written last year with a 97%. We've been flying together occasionally since then, with me as copilot (see Flying To My Grandfather's Wedding).

If everything goes according to plan, I'll be starting back learning to fly on our 170 in about two weeks in mid-August. John is getting me back onto the aviation insurance, and I'll be using the same instructor that John used so successfully. This CFI is also an A&P mechanic, and is very particular and thorough, personality traits I find very important in a flight instructor.

I could learn on another plane first, then transition, but there are a few reasons why I have chosen not to do that.

First, it makes economic sense to use a plane we already own. Second, it is a very forgiving plane, and was bought for and used as a trainer plane originally by Embry-Riddle, so you could see it as its destiny in a way, and that it knows how to take care of a student pilot. Third, I'm glad it's working out this way because I think I will be a better pilot by learning on a tailwheel airplane. And last but not least, I want to know how to fly the plane we own and plan to keep in the family, and think I would be better at flying it if I learn on it.

If you're going to buy a plane to learn on, you have many more options than I now have. But that still doesn't cancel out #3 -- good tailwheel pilots are usually better pilots.
-Susan
N3440D
55 170B
TIC170A Member
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Stick with the 170 for training. Take it from a 150-trained pilot.
1) It's the plane you're gonna be flying for the long haul--might as well learn in it.
2) No bad nosedragger habits formed.
3) Lots more affordable than renting a nosedragger--even a 150.
4) As long as you have insurance,don't sweat it. You're gonna be careful anyway,if something does happen just call the insurance company & get it fixed.
Good luck with it,Susan!

Eric