800 X 6 tire problem

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2679D

800 X 6 tire problem

Post by N2679D »

I recently installed 800 X 6 tires on my '52 B model. After installation I noticed that the brake pads were very close to the inside of the tires. So close that during landings there is rubbing on the tires. The brake pads were just replaced about 25 hours ago so they are now at their thickest. As the pads wear down the problem will probably go away. I read the 170 type certicicate before I purchased the tires to insure they were approved so I am surprised at the lack of clearance. Has anyone else ran into this situation?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The original design and Type certificate was developed using Goodyear wheels and brakes.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

It's not exactly by the book,but some thin spacers betwixt the wheel & the rotor would probably cure the problem. Be sure & eyeball the finished product when you're done to make sure you didn't create another problem with the rotor & therefore the caliper being to far the other way.

Eric
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The pilot shop on Merril Field in Anchorage,AK, sells a spacer for this. It will fit either a six or three bolt six inch Cleveland wheel.
It's about 1/8th of an inch thick and is installed between the wheel and the brake rotor.

BL
BL
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

If you get the spacers, don't forget to get longer bolts for
the wheel halves (to allow for the additinal thickness of
the assembly with the spacer installed).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
N1277D

Brake Tire Clearence

Post by N1277D »

I also had this problem on my 170A. We installed the McCleary (sp) 800x600 tire on the C180 gear with the cleveland double puck brake. A wear pattern develop on the inner sidewall from the brake rubbing the wheel. We solved the problem by adding standard AN washer(s) between the wheel and the brake disk.

After we wore out the old tires, and decided to put on some Goodyear 800x600, would you believe the Goodyear 800x600 tire is smaller than the McCleary, the problem went away, no need for the spacers
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

One reason Goodyear gets premium prices for their tires is that their tires are premium quality. Their sidewall is constructed more sturdy and flexes less under weight. (Series 400 Cessna owners learn very quickly not to use discount tires due to interference with the landing gear components of cheap tires.)
In standard primary sizes discount tires work out just fine.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

I've been told by more than one "old hand" that the "discount" tires
are (also) all over the place dimensionally (one tire will be slightly taller
than the other, or slightly wider in profile, etc.). The Goodyears are
expensive, but I'm of the opinion that this is one of those cases where
you really kinda get what you pay for....

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
Rudy Mantel

Post by Rudy Mantel »

800x6 tires are useful if you fly from soft or rough ground.
Otherwise, 600x6's are superior in every way. They weigh less, less drag and the brakes are more effective- smaller moment arm from the brake puck to the ground.
I bought my 170 with 800x6's but removed them and my brakes are significantly more effective, important when taxiing in a crosswind. I wish they were stronger still...
Rudy
FredM

Post by FredM »

If you have a cleveland brake conversion and are having interferance problems it is most likely because you have the wrong part number brake disc installed. the one that came with the conversion is intended for 600x6 tires only. If you want to use 800x6 tires all you have to do is use brake disc p/n 164-03601. That is the cleveland number intended for use with 800x6 tires. From a/c spruce, it's 164-36 or 164-136 if you want chrome
Using this disc changes your wheel assy number to a 40-75D. The only difference is that it has a larger offset from the wheel. If you go back to 600x6 and wheel pants you will have to change the disc back again as the 164-03601 sticks out too far and will rub holes in your wheel pants. If you don't use wheel pants It can be used for both size tires.
Fred L. Mahan
51 C170A N1289D
km74

Post by km74 »

I just ordered Goodyear 800x6's to replace some worn out 600x6's. I have the Cleveland wheels and brakes. I have looked over old post's and find alot of you have the 800s on your planes. Am I going to run into rubbing problems without the proper discs or the spacers? Is anyone else out there running the goodyears with the clevelands without the other discs or spacers? Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks

Ken
N2830C

Post by N2830C »

I just put a set of 800X6 on my plane and I have Cleveland single puck brakes. No problem with the fit.

I want to run 8.50s but when my mechanic talk with the FAA about getting a 337 they wanted me to put on Double puck brakes and use steel axles(I currently have the solid aluminum). I decided that 8.00 were OK when I started to imagine the $.
km74

Post by km74 »

Thanks for the reply. I have a question about stc's though. If you buy bigger tires like 8.5's and buy the stc with it, do you need to do any other paperwork to be legal? When you buy the stc is that all the permission you need, besides having an A and P install it?Is it the same in Canada? Thanks.

I don't really know anything about the legality of doing anything to your airplane so thats why I ask some stupid questions.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have double-puck Clevelands & 800 McCreary Airtracs--there's no rubbing problem. I too thought about 850's but stuck with the 800's cuz:
1) they're quite a bit cheaper
2) they're quite a bit less draggy
3) I felt the lighter-weight 170 doesn't really need 800's unless you're going into softer/rougher places than I do. If I had a 180 I'd run 850's.
I bought McCreary's instead of Goodyear's cuz:
1) they're cheaper
2) I like the way the Airtrac tire tread looks better than the Goodyears or the higher-grade (Airhawk?) McCreary's
I think that there's quite a few different Cleveland wheel/rotor/caliper bracket combinations possible,they may not all allow as much tire clearance as my particular set-up does. According to the 337,I have a Cleeveland p/n 199-62 W&B kit. A friend was trying to sort out his Cleveland W&B's with regard to clearance problems with the 850's on his 180. He ended up buying a new W&B kit & selling off the old W&B's to a guy who was gonna run 600's and wheel panties.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Hey Eric yours might be cheaper but then the Goodyears on mine will last twice as long. At least. That's all I'll buy now.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180