Internet Pricing Rules?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Internet Pricing Rules?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I'm just curious if internet businesses are legally obligated to honor their advertised prices. I have an issue where one of my engine parts vendors raised the prices of most of the items after my order, and I would like to find if I'm obligated to pay the higher prices.

On December 12 I ordered 2793.97 in parts through an internet order. Since then, using prices currently advertised on the particular site, I have received 2683.26 in parts. I recently received an invoice for 3371.37. 8O Many of the parts were substituted for cheaper parts (Superior vs Continental), but higher prices were charged. A few were actually lower, but over all, the total was MUCH higher.

The original 2793.97 was charged to Credit Card A on Dec. 14. The 577.40 difference was charged to Credeit Card B (the one on which I bought my cylinders, NOT the one I used for the internet order). I did not explicitly authorize the second charge.

Question: am I obligated to pay ANY amount above the 2683.26 plus the 18.00 invoiced for shipping? Again this is the total for the parts I actually recieved at the ADVERTISED prices? The internet order site did NOT offer a final list of parts and estimated shippng. Two attempts late last week to contact them by phone failed.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Not sure about the legalities of what they did, but I'd sure file a dispute with the credit card company for the additional charge.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you did not specifically authorize a charge on a credit card, then I'd deny that in writing not only to them, but immediately to the credit card company.
I'd also dispute any charges on any items not exactly as I ordered them. The shipping charges are probably legitimately yours, as are any return freight charges. (One of the disadvantages of online shopping, and a common oversight by consumers who shop "price" online and compare that online price to vendors who actually have storefronts.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Thanks for the advice George. I've been ordering stuff online for years and this is the first semblance of a problem I've ever had, so I wasn't quite sure about how to handle it.

I have no problem whatsoever with the shipping charges. $18 is a good deal on shipping for the volume and weight of stuff I received. Since there were exactly 18 line items on my original order, I assume they just flat-rated the shipping at $1 per item.

What I DO have a problem with is an invoice that has very little resemblance to the original order. Not one single item is invoiced at the advertised price, and more than half the items were substituted for what I originally ordered, plus it took three follow up phone calls over a six week period to get what I have, and there's STILL one item yet to be received.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
squaretail

Parts

Post by squaretail »

Sounds just like my story with an outfit in AR.Ordered parts in Dec. paid for them never saw them.Started getting parts.needed six more and called and called and called.Finally last week last of the parts came and an invoice for 900.00 more.Last parts where wrong.Called the supplier not the premium place and had the right parts in a few days.The supplier said they here this with almost every order.I had sent them a check so no charges can be put on a CC and was only able to tell the answering machine to stick the invoice up there ---! I think the guys between Hayden Lake and Ruby Ridge will have to go see the crooks at a premium place.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Miles
Unfortunately the follow ups to your last post from others about Premium Aircraft Parts came to late and I placed an order with them as well.

As it turns out most of their online pricing was incorrect. They followed my order with an email twice updating the prices on 2 items to unacceptable levels with a comment they would wait for my OK.

I called and called and called and called and finally got Tim on the line. Told him to cancel the whole order. He said of course, "it's been shipped". i said under who's authority and tuff darts. He then called and asked if he could meet the prices I got and had since checked and I agreed.

Well the parts all trickled in and I actually got them all in somewhat of a decent time. They shipped the wrong bearings and sent a call tag and sent the right bearings. To be fair they also tried to help determine exactly which of the 4 available thrust bearings I needed.

Then today the invoice comes and guess what. It's for the higher quoted price.

My plan is to call and call and call them tomorrow. I'm only out $50 but $50 is $50. BTW I'll also email which has worked once.

BTW unless I get satisfaction from them I'll be informing my credit card company and I don't plan on paying for something I didn't authorize. I'd suggest you do the same. And BTW their web site lists the sales department and the owner who I will also try to contact.

I'll keep you all posted.

BTW Miles there website is still not up to date with the prices.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Bruce & squaretail,

It is a bit of a comfort to know that I'm not their only victim. In my case it's over $600. I never received an email nor any other kind of request for approval of the higher prices (and still have yet to receive the entire order). When and if I can finally contact them by phone, I will give them a chance to make it right and issue a credit. If not, then it's time to call the two banks involved.

Could we pool our experiences and contact somone like the Better Business Bureau? My internet order was charged to an AOPA credit card. I wonder if they could help?

Miles

BTW, I have gone back to their web site and checked the current prices on my enitire order, and this time printed out each page. It would seem their policy is still bait-and-switch pricing: The total is STILL the same to the penny as it was on Dec. 12 last year. :x
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Miles

It seems you have to call and call and call and I'd also email.

You and I and the others that posted here aren't the only ones with problems. I mentioned their name to the fellow that I bought the C-85 core from who has a small engine rebuilding business. He got real excited and his voice went up 2 octives talking about the issues he's had with this company.

I think the only place to complain that may do any good is the credit card companies. After all if the card companies decide not to do business with them that will put a dent in their capabilities.

squaretail

Prices

Post by squaretail »

You can also go to the State attoney in there state and file a complaint.They will get a notice and have to answer back.I think you can go on line and print a fourm and send it in.It will show Premium you are the one filing the complaint on the fourm the get.Do this along with the BBB complaint.Maybe then this will stop this from happening to others.
I also think Premium takes your money to pay Paul and you have to wait for the next Peter to come along that gives money to pay for your parts.Kinda like a sloppy middle man running in circles to stay alive!
Bruce Fenstermacher

I just got through to Tim at Premium who remembers his agreement to match the prices and the he knows it wasn't done. He agreed to make sure the correction was accomplished.

Time will tell. I'll let you know.

BTW Miles Premium has a new phone system so know you can more easily leave messages for several people if you don't get through to a human. I got Tim on the second call in less than 10 minutes.

cessna170bdriver

BBB Reliability Report

Premium Aircraft Parts, LLC
1109 South Quincy Street
Fort Smith, AR 72901

General Information

Original Business Start Date: February 2001
Type of Entity: LLC
Principal : Mr. Chris Baker Managing Partner
Phone Number: (479) 646-0121
Fax Number: (479) 649-0649
BBB Membership: This company is not a member
Type-of-Business Classification: Aircraft Parts & Supplies

The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaint(s).

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

The Bureau processed a total of 3 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 3 complaints in the last 36 months, 3 of those were closed in the last 12 months.

Complaints Concerned
Delivery Issues: 2
Outcome of all complaints -
Administratively Closed: 1; No Response: 1

Billing or Collection Issues: 1
Outcome of the complaint -
Resolved: 1

Licensing Information

This company is in an industry that may require licensing, bonding or registration in order to lawfully do business. The Bureau encourages you to check with the appropriate agency to be certain any requirements are currently being met.

Additional Information

Additional Phone Numbers: 800-932-2192 - 3

Report as of 02/08/2006
Copyright 2006 Better Business Bureau of Arkansas, Inc.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Miles did you get that info on Premium via Internet? And what was the website?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:Miles did you get that info on Premium via Internet? And what was the website?
The info came from the Arkansas Better Business Bureau. I started at http://www.bbb.org, clicked on "Locate a Bureau", which led me to http://www.arkansas.bbb.org. From there, click on "Company Reports".

Calls to Premium Last Friday and this past Wednesday have gone unanswered. I have sent Premium an email detailing why I think I am due a credit (so far ignored). I have contacted both credit card companies and have sent them copies of the info sent to Premium. Time will tell.

BTW, Premium's web site is STILL advertising the same prices as back in December.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Thanks, Miles. Of course, this also begs the question.... I wonder how they will behave when it comes time to make a warranty claim? :evil:
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:Thanks, Miles. Of course, this also begs the question.... I wonder how they will behave when it comes time to make a warranty claim? :evil:
I don't even want to go there! :evil: I'm keeping all of the packing slips from the various suppliers who actually sent the parts out. On one of the few occasions when I actually got to talk to someone at Premium, I questioned why many of the Continental parts I had ordered were substituted with Superior. The response was "If a Continental part fails under warranty and trashes the rest of the engine, Contintental sends you a new part. If a Superior part fails under the same circumstances, Superior replaces the engine." I don't believe either extreme, but reading between the lines, it sounds like Premium expects me to handle the warranty claim directly with the manufacturer.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne