oil filter choices

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

oil filter choices

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have the El Reno spin-on filter adapter (made by F&M), the STC calls for a Champion 48108 filter. Well, that's apparently been superceded by 48108-1, which may or may not technically be approved for use with this adapter.
Anyway, I bought a repalcement filter the other day at a little local pilot shop, and it was 22 bucks. With prices for everything going thru the roof, I wondered if anyone had tried the other two filters available- the Kelly or the Tempest. Both have numbers corelated to Champion's.
Any comments re: quality, or approval? Where'd ya get them, and what was the price compared to Champion's? Or does someone have a good low cost source for the Champions--direct from distributor/manufacturer,oil bulk plant, NAPA....?

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I have the same STC. Since the paperwork specifically calls out the eligible filters by manufacturer and Tempest and Kelly are not among them, I imagine they would not be legal. :roll: Doesn't mean they wouldn't work perfectly well, though. I'm actually interested in those myself. I wonder if F&M has updated the STC to include them?
Doug
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Aviation Consumer just reviewed all three and liked the Tempest . They said it was priced between the Kelly and the Champion. They have a built in magnetic ring inside the filter. 170's are not listed on the Tempest Oil Filter Application Guide.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

An excellent article in the sister mag Light Plane Maint too, some really good points. "To handle the potential higher internal pressures of the higher by-pass spring, the Tempest, has a thicker case with higher burst strength than the competition. Physically, the external case appears exactly as the original Champion."
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
170C

Filters

Post by 170C »

I just purchased two CH 48108's from a local supply house (TexAir in Ft. Worth). With tax they are $20 each. Would cost about $22.00+ if ordered from Aircraft Spruce. I'll be interested in hearing more about Tempest & Kelly filters. I got the FM adapter hoping I am extending the life of my engine. The cost to change oil, I still do so @ 25 hrs, has gone up by the $20 per change. If it extends the time before overhaul it will be worth it, but if there is an equally good filter for less $$ I want to know. Wonder if FRAM makes an aircraft filter? :wink:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

In my experience, the local aviation supply houses (such as FalconCrest, Aviall, etc.) will sell the filters either AT or only SLIGHTLY above the mail order houses. This usually saves a buck or two since there's no freight involved. (But local sales taxes may soak up the difference. At least your community will benefit from the tax revenue.) If you don't live near an aviation supply house, then the mailorder houses are OK IF you buy several filters at once in order to avoid excessive freight-per-unit costs.
skygeek.com sells them for $16.95 plus frt, and Spruce prices are $17.25 plus frt, and other places sometimes puts them on sale. The last time I bought filters, (about 6 mos. ago) I purchased 3 of them at FalconCrest for $15.95 each. No frt involved, but there was 8-1/4% sales taxes.

If you're dotting "i's" and crossing "t's" , then you might comforted to know that the 48108-1 is a sub-set of the 48108 and meets the STC requirements of the former filter. Champion has improved their filters with better resin-impregnated paper, corrugated support columns, coil-type relief-valve springs, and better bursting specs on the can. The new filters are also slightly shorter and have a stronger crimp, all according to their literature. The 48108-1 is an approved filter for applications previously approved for the 48108 according to Champion Aerospace.

I like the Tempest idea of installing magnets within their filters tho'.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)