170A fuel valve

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Psmith

170A fuel valve

Post by Psmith »

The fuel selector valve in my 51 170A is very stiff to turn and does not seem to hold completely in any position. The valve has a cast body and the parts book only lists 2 packings. Are these packings available? I was planning on pulling the valve out and reworking it. Does anyone know what I am about to get into?

Pete
1320D
Lewistown, MT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The earlier valves are obsolete, but they are simple and packings should be available from any Cessna distributor and other aviation parts houses. The packing PN 0413020-4 has been superceded to PN 38481.
Fuel lube should be used to assemble/lubricate the valve. (Fuel Lube is a Parker product, sold by Spruce, etc., but your local mechanic probably has some and may give you a "dab" as that's all you'll need.)
The later fuel valve is expensive when purchased new, but this may be the time to consider going to the later valve if you can find one reasonably priced (i.e. salvage, etc.). If you convert to the later valve make certain you also get the shaft/handle assy with it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Psmith

170A fuel selector valve

Post by Psmith »

My local Cessna parts guy said the packing are no longer available because of a liability issue. Does anyone know of a source for these packings?

Pete