E.Q. Push Rods

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

E.Q. Push Rods

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I just got my quote from LY-CON for overhaul of my O-300A 8O . Among the list of options was a "New E.Q. push rod kit". I've checked here and on the web, and I can't find any reference to what this might be. Before I call LY-CON and admit my ignorance, does anyone here have any ideas?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Miles,
While I do not have a clue what a "EQ push rod kit" is I do have a suggestion.

I suggest if you are replacing clyinders that you look at ECI's as they now offer a valve rotator for the Exhaust valves on their cylinders.
Johneb
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Tom Downey

ECI Cerminll cylinders

Post by Tom Downey »

I just rebuilt Ken Bixlers engine, N2995A he elected to use ECI Titan nickel. They broke in within 5 hours and used less than 1 qt of oil. They are now coming up on 50 hours, and are running great.

They require you use no less than 75% power for the first 10 hours on Phillips 20W50. It works,,,,,,, and they are listing for $718.00 each.

Believe it or not his Dad overhauled the engine in 1960 to service limits and it ran to last fall.
We discovered an oil leak in the sump, and desided to pull it for overhaul. It needed a new sump, cam, reground the lifter bodies and installed 12 new hydraulic units, replaced both crank and cam drive gears, up graded the starter, (to skytech) bought a unison mag upgrade kit, new mounts, 6 new Cylinders, made a complete new set of baffels for it, rebuilt the generator, and carb.

total cost was pocket change under $12k

OBTW the EQ push rod kit is where you remove the old swaged in tubes and replace them with the aluminum bilited ones with "O" rings.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey Tom! You should re-join the association, and you could advertise your engine rebuilding capabilities here for free. :wink: The word-of-mouth/free advertising is worth a lot more than the hour's labor a typical shop charges (which is about what the annual membership costs.)
Thanks for clearing up an "E.Q. Pushrod" mod.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Robert Eilers

E.Q. Push Rods

Post by Robert Eilers »

Miles,

Not certain this is the same thing, but I had the Real Gasket Push Rod Tube Modification Kit put on my Champ and am having it done to the 170. Basically, the old push rod tubes are replaced with the spring loaded version that alllow independent removal, etc. The modification dried the Champ up very nicely. A little pricey, $75 per cylinder for the parts.
N73087

Post by N73087 »

I had the Real Gasket tubes on an earlier engine. Worked very well, can be installed without removing the cylinder.
http://www.realgaskets.com/files/colorpush.htm