Buyer inspection 170B problem areas

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

alaskan99669

Buyer inspection 170B problem areas

Post by alaskan99669 »

Hello All,

First I would like to say what a great site you folks have here! There is a tremendous amount of information and you really support each other well.

I am new to the flying world (should be getting my license this month… hopefully) and have never owned an airplane. I am very interested in a ’53 170B that my instructor has recommended to me as he is very familiar with the specific plane. The owner and I are arranging for a buyers inspection in the next couple of weeks. I would very much appreciate if any of you current (or previous) owners could tell me of any problem spots that you are aware of that I should make sure the inspector does not miss.

A little history on the plane. It's in Alaska and I don't know what year it was brought up. It was repainted in ’02. Comes with the EDO 2000 floats that are put on each spring. I believe the float kit was installed 4 years ago. It also has 26” Goodyear tundra tires and skis. It has a 350 SMOH C-145. Basic radios, no transponder. It is flown regularly and looks very well maintained. Thanks!
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hello, Corey.
Check the the discussion on this subject which occurred under the heading "C-170B Pre-purchase Inspection" at:
http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... inspection
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Corey,

In Alaska you're going to need the heater. I would recommend that when you run the engine up, open the cabin heat. Use a carbon monoxide detector to see if there are problems. Soldotna Fire Dept would have a good quality one. I've taken mine over and checked it against my local fire department's detector. If you detect CO, which personally I think is more common than most think, you won't be suprised later. This can all be fixed but for additional cost, which you might get the seller to discount for. Just something I would do because of my own experience.

Dave
Last edited by AR Dave on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Deleting this post. Might be putting a little too much private information on display. Gone to PM.
Last edited by AR Dave on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Sbur

CO detectors

Post by David Sbur »

Ditto on the CO detector. A fellow I know apparently was killed by CO in his 170B just recently. NTSB has only preliminary data on it but locals/acquaintances know that CO was involved. He was a great pilot and aircraft maintenance shop mgr also. Apparently wasn't (couldn't?) paying attention to fuel issues.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_i ... 0552&key=1
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Corey, you said your CFI is familiar with the airplane? What's his take on it's condition? I'd definitely also talk to whoever does the maintenance and/or annual inspections. Besides the normal single-engine Cessna stuff--AD compliance, exhaust leaks into cabin/cabin heat system (CO poisoning issues),engine condition/time,corrosion-- you should check out the main landing gear attach area ("gear-box") for damage & evidence of repair.
It helps to have an A&P/IA who's familiar with 170's, but it's not imperative-- after all, this isn't rocket science. Maybe talk to the local 170 jockeys & see who they recommend.

Eric
GAHorn

Re: CO detectors

Post by GAHorn »

David Sbur wrote:Ditto on the CO detector. A fellow I know apparently was killed by CO in his 170B just recently. NTSB has only preliminary data on it but locals/acquaintances know that CO was involved. He was a great pilot and aircraft maintenance shop mgr also. Apparently wasn't (couldn't?) paying attention to fuel issues.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_i ... 0552&key=1
The aircraft was registered to "Shawn Hood-Meadors".
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
zero.one.victor

We lost a Seattle area 170'er, Dave Verstrate, a couple years ago due to CO poisoning. He was apparently overcome & augered down into the salt water of Puget Sound, along with his passenger. Faulty exhaust system.

Eric
David Sbur

Post by David Sbur »

George,

The fellow's name in regards to the NTSB report was Eric Molstead, and he was the Shop Mgr for AeroMaintenance at Pearson Field/Vancouver WA. Don't know anything about the registered owner. Eric was flying solo.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Take a real good look at the door and window hinges. They don't seem like a big deal, but when they go south on you they can be a real pain in the ass to fix.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Good suggestion, Jr. Cubbuilder. (Hey, Guys,...Corey is asking for items to look for when inspecting for possible purchase. While installing a CO detector is certainly a good suggestion, it's not something that's ordinarily a "problem area" when examining a 170 specifically. Let's try not to hijack the topic too far away from items to inspect for.)
Corey, exhaust systems are expensive and often overlooked should be the msg. The earliest systems were "pancake" systems and are obsolete and difficult to find repair facilities and parts. The later Hanlon-Wilson systems are a better choice when making comparisons. In any case, a new/overhauled system costs about $1,000 bucks, just FYI. (And there's a big difference between a totally new system and one that's been "repaired" or "just completely redone". Most exhaust systems these days are a collection of parts is various stages of rebuilding. In other words, place a high value on a truly "new" or completely overhauled system. (risers, clamps, muffs, shrouds, tailpipes, and brackets.)
zero.one.victor

It might be about a grand to overhaul a complete HW system, but if you want to replace your pancake mufflers with HW's you better count on ponying up at least $1500 (haven't priced them in a while).

Eric
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I was mulling it over and thought of a couple others. Check for wrinkles between the landing gear on the bottom of the fuselage.

The tailspring is another spot I've heard about, look for cracking around the tailspring box.

My mechanic looked for a common repair to the elevator bellcrank area back in the tailcone. He said mine had been done, correctly.

Rust, be wary if it's just been repainted and stuff is bubbling up under the paint. I've got some of this around my door hinges, I'm sure it's going to be a special treat at some point

Last, remember at some point, that you are buying a half century old plane and don't get obcessed about the little stuff. Make your decision on whether or not to buy based on general soundness of the airframe and motor. The little stuff, paint, repairable stuff that doesn't ground the plane, interior, use that for price negotiation.
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. The inspection (annual) took place yesterday. We paid for the two inspectors that did all the legal stuff, but we also had two A&P friends, the owner, my CFI, and myself all there to participate in the inspection. We all had tools and three ladders so the whole process went very fast. The same AI has been used for the last three years and he assured me it was a well cared for plane and in great condition. My CFI knows the plane well and he knows the owner personally and also vouches for the condition of the plane. We did a thorough inspection of the exhaust system and found no cracks or blisters (those shrouds are a real pain to get back on). The owner has my deposit and will start on the paper work for transfer of ownership. I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks so I should take delivery of it in about three weeks!

Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Remember when you carried a picture of your plane in your back pocket? :) That plane is looking better and better Corey. Enjoyed meeting you! We both need to take our pipes off and have them Ceramic Coated in Houston, AK.

In THE HANGER clik on -
Sticky: Recommended Modifications/Repairs for 170 Owners
I can't tell if you have the BASS Handles, but if you don't, then order them today. Got to have them to move plane around on AK ice and snow without damaging vertical stabilizer bracket.