Fuel Gauge Replacement (Unnecessary)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jodomat

Fuel Gauge Replacement (Unnecessary)

Post by jodomat »

I recently had significant repairs done to my 52 170B following some Hurricane Ivan damage. Since the airplane was traailered to the repair facility, it required wing removal etc.,. After getting the airplane back to Florida , a problem developed with the left fuel gauge. By using the timing method I was able to determine that there shoud have been less than 1/2 tank of fuel remaining, however the gauge would not read lower than 1/2. Thinking that the gauge had simply worn out, or the float was saturated, I purchased two new gauges from Aircraft Spruce. As I was preparing to install the left gauge, I looked int the tank with a flashlight, and was able to observe the float at approximately tha halway level in the tank. Apparently when the gauge was re-installed it was mis-aligned by about 1/4 inch, allowing it to hang up on a wing spar, or stringer that runs through the tank. I was able to use a long screw driver and put just enough pressure on the rod to get the float far enough away from the stringer so that it has freedom of movement.
Sorry to be so long winded, but I wanted to save someone else the un-necessary trouble of repalacing a gauge that didn't need replacement.

Joe
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Excellent point, Joe!
My own airplane was once landed in a field by a previous owner who had experienced the same problem. He ran it out of gas thinking it had plenty because he beleived a mis-installed gauge.
The FAA's only requirement for calibration is that the gauge must read EMPTY when the tank is Empty.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)