New overhaul, what to do if uninstalled for 1.5 years?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sanships

New overhaul, what to do if uninstalled for 1.5 years?

Post by sanships »

Had my engine, an O-300A overhauled by western skyways last year and have not installed it for over a year now. It has new exhaust system, new cylinders and all accessories overhauled. It has stayed in the USA till now and will be shipped back to the Philippines next week. It will take 1 more month before I can inspect it. From then it will take me about 4 months, or till December before I can start it mounted on the airplane. What can I do to preserve the engine? It would still have the breakin oils as it was tested on the bench last year May.
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII
kimble

Post by kimble »

Alvin,

Your may already be in trouble. After being test run it should have been pickeled immediately. Personally, I make it a policy to test run the engine on the aircraft and fly it as soon as possible and encourage the owner to keep flying it. A low time engine is more likely to form rust if not flown regularly.

I just installed an engine that had been test run and then stored for a year or two. To make a long story short. There was horendous rust in the cylinders. To say the least, it took corrective action before it could be put into use.

Ralph
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

As Ralph says you may already have some problems, but that is water under the bridge. :( As far as what to do now. Where and how was it stored? If it is in Florida, uncovered, under a lean to shed, big problems. If it is in Death Valley in an airconditioned room no problem. If it is somewhere inbetween it would be wise to have a shop with a good bore scope take a look around in the cylinders and at the cam. Depending on what they find take the appropriate action then. Also preserve the Carb. so things don't dry out in there. Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Alvin, contact David Leis at Western Skyways and ask HIM the same question. He'd know. (He's the one who ran it and prepared it for storage and shipment and, based on my experience with those folks, I'll bet he's already taken care of you and properly prepared it for shipment/storage and you probably have nothing to worry about.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)