Cleveland Double Puck Brakes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N170CT

Cleveland Double Puck Brakes

Post by N170CT »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Recently purchased a used (but serviceable) set of Cleveland double puck brakes from ebay. Caliper Part No is 52 and a letter which I cannot remember. These are off of a 180. What is the easiest (emphasis on "Easiest) way to legally install them on my 170B without incurring the wrath of our benevolent Friends Against Aviation??? Sure don't want to stir them up :P . Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
Chuck
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

I don't know if it's the easiest (depends upon where you
live and how benevolent the local FSDO is), but I put my
double-pucks on my 170 via 337.

You will need the C-180 brake torque plates and if you're going
to run bigger tires, you'll need the 1/4" brake disk spacers.
And if you go with the spacers, you'll need longer wheel halve
bolts.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Bela,

Thanks so much for your quick response. Actually, it being a Monday, I suffered a senior moment and put this inquiry on the improper forum.
George must be on vacation since he has not fired a salvo my way yet :lol:. No offense, George, just rattling your cage.

But since Bela stepped up and responded I will now propose one additional questiion. On my '56 170B, the two bottom bolts holding the axles on the mlg leg have a slightly larger diameter than the upper two bolts. The mounting brackets for the double pucks APPEAR to have the same diameter holes in all four locations on each bracket. Any ideas??? How did you handle this on your aircraft?? And no, contrary to the majority of our learned brethen, I run smaller tires than most.
Thanks again, chuck
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The holes are all the same size so that the calipers can be installed forward or rear of the gear leg. I'd install them and plead ignorance, if asked. Remember, it is always easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission. What is a 337?
Use caution upon brake application with double pucks on small tires until you get used to them.
BL
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

The torque plates are suposed to come with two very tiny removeable sleves for two of the bolt holes. They are easy to loose. You will also need the brake disc that goes with the brakes.
Shawn
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I posted the message below a few weeks ago- might be helpful-
Rudy

I replaced my single-puck Cleveland brakes with the large double-puck ones- Parker-Hanniffin (Cleveland) 199-62 kit works great. It's STC'd for the 180 (not the 170) but I had no trouble getting a field approval. Cost of the kit about two years ago was around $800- that's with new wheels, disks and brake assemblies. Best investment I ever made on my airplane - made crosswind taxiing much easier.
Also, use the standard 600x6 tires. Larger tires extend the moment arm from brake to ground, reducing brake effectiveness.
And make sure the wheels are aligned per the 100 series service manual and that the tail wheel is correctly rigged. The angle of the pivot axle should be close to vertical.
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Early gear legs had all four axle mounting bolt holes the same size 5/16 but later legs/axles had lower mount holes for 3/8 bolts. (AN5 for the uppers, AN 6 for the lowers, or use NAS bolts if you really want to be strong.)
When later axles are fitted to early legs, it's permissible to drill the lower holes to accept the larger bolts. The edges of the newly drilled holes should be slightly radiused to avoid cracking.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)