Cowling Fasteners

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Woodsum

Cowling Fasteners

Post by Woodsum »

I fly a pretty nice 55 "B" model. Anytime I consider removing the cowling, I first consider that there are forty sheet metal screws in the top and another ten screws holding the bottom . Most are the same size except for a half dozen or so that are oversized. I was wondering if anyone has changed over to "Camloc', Dzus or Southco"' , style fasteners. The old sheet metal screws have been doing a great job for fifty years, but I'd like to install something more up-to-date. Appreciate any advise, what a better option would be to the screws I'm using now. Thanks, :D
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Those sheet metal screws can be a real pain when the tinnerman nuts get old. Have you tried wrapping the cowling on with "Duck Tape"??? This works best on aluminum colored airplanes.
BL
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

I just bought a cowl that has been changed over to cam loc's. I think it came with a 337 for the mod. I can double check. Might be a basis of approval for a Field approval if you are interested. Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
Woodsum

Cowling Fasteners

Post by Woodsum »

Indopilot wrote:I just bought a cowl that has been changed over to cam loc's. I think it came with a 337 for the mod. I can double check. Might be a basis of approval for a Field approval if you are interested. Brian
Thanks Brian, Do you find the cowling removal a lot quicker and easier compared to sheet metal screws ? I would think a 337 should work for the mod.
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

As far as quicker and easier, on 172's with cam locks the answer is yes to both. This cowlinfg is also modified for a 180 Lycoming installation which is why I came into possesion of it. We are not yet ready to install our 180 so it is spare for the moment.
The 337 is a Field Approval out of Sacramento California, dated 1993. the work Accomplished reads as follows;
Remove cowling from A/C & all tinnerman nuts.
Fit Camlock2600receptacle & camlock 2600 studs. Rivet receptacle to
cowling and firewall. Install studs & retain with camlock retaining rings.
Reinstall cowling.
Not exactly rocket science but it worked for him :D . If you send me a fax number I can fax you a copy if you'd like. Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
Woodsum

Cowling Fasteners

Post by Woodsum »

Indopilot wrote:As far as quicker and easier, on 172's with cam locks the answer is yes to both. This cowlinfg is also modified for a 180 Lycoming installation which is why I came into possesion of it. We are not yet ready to install our 180 so it is spare for the moment.
The 337 is a Field Approval out of Sacramento California, dated 1993. the work Accomplished reads as follows;
Remove cowling from A/C & all tinnerman nuts.
Fit Camlock2600receptacle & camlock 2600 studs. Rivet receptacle to
cowling and firewall. Install studs & retain with camlock retaining rings.
Reinstall cowling.
Not exactly rocket science but it worked for him :D . If you send me a fax number I can fax you a copy if you'd like. Brian
:lol: That's what I was looking for. I'll order the Camlocks next week. I talked to a company in Hampton N.H. who has them cataloged. Thanks for the help. Dick W.
mit

Post by mit »

I put nut plates in all of mine. If your in that big of a hurry to get the cowling off, you may want to consider moving to a faster Airplane :lol:
Tim