Crosswind component for 170A (moved from Hangar)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dyeoman

Crosswind component for 170A (moved from Hangar)

Post by dyeoman »

I can't find the max crosswind component for my 170A anywhere in the operator's manual. Does anyone know what it is?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The C-170 airplanes were built before the crosswind component was a requirement.
BL
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

I believe the the FAA design requirement is 20% of Vs. 170B Vs is 58 mph, so the max crosswind component would be 11.6 mph. The main factor is pilot skill. Experienced, skilled pilots can handle much more, but a 5 mph crosswind can make a newly minted tailwheel pilot sweat bullets.
jc
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

JC
I can hardly beleive the 170B would only have a max crosswind component of 11mph. Perhaps your formula is what is used to determine the demonstarted crosswind compoment and if thats the case it wouldn't be a limit just what was demonstrated.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Yea, I agree. I was assuming that dyeoman was reffering to the demonstrated crosswind component, and then I reffered to it as the max crosswind component :oops:. There is no published demonstrated crosswind component for 170's. Demonstrated crosswind component is not the maximum crosswind that a aircraft can handle, it's just what the factory demonstrated. In a 172 the maximum demonstrated cross wind component is 15 knots. We all know that a skilled pilot can handle more. As far as I know, no small aircraft have a published max crosswind component, only a demonstrated crosswind component.

From the AOPA:
Demonstrated crosswind component is a favorite test question for examiners to ask. It is the highest wind observed during certification testing of the airplane, not what it is theoretically capable of handling or a limitation governing the aircraft's operation. As a guideline, particularly for new pilots, consider it limiting. To find the number, look in the pilot's operating handbook under "speeds for safe operation." Some of the numbers are impressive: for the Cessna Skylane RG, 18 knots; Beech Sierra, 17 knots; Bonanza V35, 17 knots; Cessna 172, 15 knots.

If your aircraft was built before 1975, you probably won't find the speeds in the POH. But there's an alternative. A 1965 copy of the FAA's Flight Training Handbook recommends using 20 percent of the stall speed as the maximum allowable, so an aircraft that stalls at 60 knots can handle a direct crosswind of 12 knots.

jc
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The max demonstrated crosswind component of a B-model is 22 KNOTS!! (MY non-green B model. Using less than average pilot technique.) :wink:

Do not try this at home. Your results may vary. :lol: