Aerial photography and the 170/180

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

fitenfyr

Aerial photography and the 170/180

Post by fitenfyr »

Hello all.
Tripped across this organization while researching an aircraft purchase for me and my partner.
We are looking at doing aerial photography and want an aircraft that has at least a 600lb usefull load, has no wing strut or is forward of the cabin door.
So far the 170/180 fits the bill pretty good.

Couple questions I had for current owners.

1. How hard is it to pull the right side door? Is it typical Cessna and a bolt with a cotter pin affair?
Can it be pulled in a few minutes placed in the back seat and flown with 2 onboard pretty easy?
2. How hard is it to fly as compared to a 172?
Easy trainer for someone with 0 time?
Would a 150 hour PP SEL (mostly 172/152 but also some R22) be able to transition into these without much hassle?
Yep that is me. :D
3. What is the performance like both slow and cruise?
I don't want to set speed records here, but I want to be able to travel across Washington state and back in a day with fuel and lav stops.
I also don't want to be fighting it at say 60kts indicated manuvering for a shot.
4. Lastly any recomendations on models best suited for this broad catagory. :D

We are not looking at your average real estate market work this would be for more artistic angles and such.

Anybody in Western Washington feel like a show and tell day for us? :D

Thank in advance
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
spiro

Post by spiro »

172/182 would be cheaper, easier to fly, and there's more of 'em.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I do aerial photography for a living in Western Washington out of my 170B. Check out my website to see how I do it. http://www.moitek-infrared.com. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Joe Moilanen
moilanen@scattercreek.com
fitenfyr

Thanks.

Post by fitenfyr »

Joe,
We will do just that!
I will get with my partner and see when we can meet up with you guys.
Your ship is great and that gyro mount is really nice.

As for the 172/182. Yep lots of them out there, but we want something that is more classy looking than the run of the mill trainer. :D
And both those aircraft have wing struts and wheel struts that are in the way for our intended work.
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....